PDA

View Full Version : 36" mowers

ej Landscaping
02-18-2004, 12:29 AM
What do you guys think is the best 36" mower and how much do you think we will have to fork out for one of these?

kels
02-18-2004, 12:35 AM
too many brands, too many options, too vague, brain overload.

ej Landscaping
02-18-2004, 12:50 AM
How about exmark vs. toro? Floating deck vs. fixed deck? pizza vs. cheeseburger?

Mikes Lawn Landscape
02-18-2004, 01:03 AM
Toro,floating deck,cheeseburger

Your welcome

65hoss
02-18-2004, 08:56 AM
eXmark 36" Metro. It will be starting its 5th season this year. Still has all the original belts on it. Oil, filters, and gas only. Here is a pic of it during the leaf battles.

PRO PROPERTY CARE
02-18-2004, 08:59 AM
36" exmark metro, fixed deck, belt drive, awesome mower. I would buy another in a minute.
:D

kels
02-18-2004, 09:44 AM
i had a metro, do yourself a favor, regardless of the brand buy a hydro with a floating deck that way you will have something to grow into and not something that will do.

CamLand
02-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Mikes Lawn Landscape
Toro,floating deck,cheeseburger

Your welcome

Ditto...

PRO PROPERTY CARE
02-18-2004, 10:06 AM
I disagree. A hydro with floating deck on a 36" is a waste of money. On a bigger deck definately. But not on a 36.
Belt drives work very well.

:cool:

scott's turf
02-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by PRO PROPERTY CARE
I disagree. A hydro with floating deck on a 36" is a waste of money. On a bigger deck definately. But not on a 36.

I guess it would depend on if the mower is a primary one or just used occasionally for those hard to reach areas.

jajwrigh
02-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Metro 36" 12.5hp kaw for me!

Turfcutters Plus
02-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Last year i bought another toro 36''hydro floating deck mower with t-bar.I do many gated properties.For me there's nothing better.Also exellent dealer support.Belt drives are too slow,although i still have my 36''gravely belt drive,for me or a helper if needed.

MTR
02-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
eXmark 36" Metro. It will be starting its 5th season this year. Still has all the original belts on it. Oil, filters, and gas only. Here is a pic of it during the leaf battles.

36" Metro/jungle wheels has a new name " King of the hill" I love every minute mowing sloping backyards of my accounts while my competitor has to tip-toe, bend over on their Z trying not to overkill turf, not to roll over with those ugly ROPS on them, ha...go Metro.

FrankenScagMachines
02-18-2004, 01:40 PM
MTR if you like that, try a hydro! w/b's rule steep hills!

gogetter
02-18-2004, 02:39 PM
ej, if you tell us how much you're looking to spend, that might help us narrow it down for you.
Lost of choices.

ej Landscaping
02-18-2004, 05:59 PM
thanks for all of the info. I am sure that you guys know what you are talking about. After all of the disscussion I believe I like the exmark floating 36".
To answer your cost question I would like to spend in the neighborhood of $2500. Does that sound right? I am just starting to reseach the wb's

Thanks again for the experienced info. I have learned more on this website in the last two weeks than I have reading books for the last 6 years. thanks again

gogetter
02-18-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm pretty sure the floating deck is going to run more then your budget. The fixed deck is about that price.

Will your machine be used full time or just part time?
Which brands are available to you locally?
Would you consider buying online or out of state (this will open up your choices, but many people are skeptical of buying a mower this way)?.

ej Landscaping
02-18-2004, 06:50 PM
gogetter
this mower will be used full time. we are going to buy it instead of buying another 21" push. I just got off the phone with a dealer that is close so that will not be a problem. He is saying that he also likes the exmark hydro vs belt but it is going to run me 2k more for it. On the maintenance side of the machine he says that the hydro is pretty much flawless. good to know, but honestly, from your own experience is the maintenance and the hydro that much more important to spen 23k more?

jhawk71
02-18-2004, 07:09 PM
I currently have a Scag 36" belt drive. The advantage deck leaves a nice cut and doesn't bog down in thick or wet grass. Even though it's a fixed deck height adjustment is still simple. I payed $2500 for the mower and got the soft bagger from J-Thomas for $210. If I were to do it over again I would go with a aluminum or steel bagger.
Jhawk71

Mlc gmc03
02-18-2004, 07:53 PM
we have 2 scag 36 inchers booth of them awsome but if you are buyin new deffinitly get the biggest engine possible you wont regret it when you have to cut a yard that hasnt been cut in 3 weeks

gogetter
02-18-2004, 08:40 PM
ej, besides the hydro being easier and less fatiguing to use, they are more productive. You will get more done faster then with a belt drive.

So over the life of the mower, it makes up for the extra initial cost.

When I bought my belt drive, I didn't really even understand what a "hydro" was or how it worked. I didn't realize what a big difference "instant reverse" makes (especially by the end of the day).

But they are pricey, no doubt. You can watch eBay, sometimes there are some pretty good deals there. A few weeks ago I saw a brand new Great Dane Scamper 36" Hydro sell for $2100 (or was it $2300?). If I had the money on hand, I would have snatched that up myself.

ed2hess
02-18-2004, 08:56 PM
We run Scag & Snapper Hydro after having several belt drive units. There is a productivity gain with hydro in residential due to being able to back and turn easily. The best unit is the Scag, it is built heavier and is safer and it has brakes. Our units run about 1200 hrs each year. We have had to replace a drive motor($400) on one unit after 3600hrs.

GPDesign1
02-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Please take a look at our Better Quick36. It's a great value in a 36" mower.

Hope this helps.

www.betteroutdoorproducts.com

rvsuper
02-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Exmark Metro all the way!!!

Fareway Lawncare
02-18-2004, 10:27 PM
eXmark TTHP...none better.

jsr2741
02-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Hey ej, how many properties do you do. I would imagine your old enough to take advantage of the financing programs available offered by all the makers.

With that said, finance, make a payment a month and pay it off on the last month. Then you have the hydro you thought you couldn't afford.

MTR
02-18-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by rvsuper
Exmark Metro all the way!!!

36" eXmark Metro 12.5 Kawi/jungle wheels/pistol $ 1999
48" eXmark TTHP 17v twin Kawi/bullrider/ECS $ 4650

Best of the Best, buy nothing else, nuff said.

mow2nd
02-18-2004, 11:55 PM
no more than $2,000 for a 36

Scag48
02-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Go hydro. Exmark TTHP 36" is a awesome machine when coupled with Jungle Wheels because travel speed is only useful if you use it. If you're using this machine as a front line machine, go hydro, no questions whatsoever. I don't suggest belt drives at all for a frontline machine. If you're using it part time, maybe you could get away with a belt, but I'm still a huge hydro fan. Not only do they cost you less in maintenance as far as drivetrain goes, they are about 25% more productive. You'll be glad you bought a hydro when it's the middle of July and you're done with your lawns while you could be out there wrestling around a belt drive. Just something to think about when the job gets rough and you want to get home. I don't care how good you guys are with your belt drives and how easy they are for you, once you go hydro you'll never go back.

master mower
02-19-2004, 02:20 PM
I had a 36" Snapper with a fixed deck. The thing was bomb proof and cut way better than my toro 44" ever did. Once it fell off the trialer and hit the ground hard. Sure it was damaged slightly, but it still w
orked like new. Like I said, it was bomb proof. I find that Snapper designers their mowers tougher than they need to be.

specialtylc
02-19-2004, 04:35 PM
We have a 36 mtd hydro that we ran for 3 years ,its basically a scag copy.still have it as a backup machine.we bought a 37 hustler and we will never go back to the pistol grip style machines. I would recomend you spend the extra cash for a hydro machine.you wont be sorry you did.

shooter8i2
02-19-2004, 06:06 PM
I have owned a 36" Metro fixed deck and belt drive for 3 years.
this mower is a work horse. only normal maintenance and one deck belt was changed during this period.

Turfcutters Plus
02-19-2004, 08:11 PM
If not many accounts buy belt drive,then save for a hydro.Keep belt drive for back-up.Good luck to you.

Turfcutters Plus
02-19-2004, 08:15 PM
I meant to say also that i love the toro 36 hydro t-bar.I would'nt buy anything else because of dealer support and the t-bar.Floating deck all the way.

brucec32
02-21-2004, 02:15 AM
I say....BLAME CANADA!

sorry, but down here in some parts of the states, grasses vary and mowing heights can vary from 1.5" to 3.5" or maybe even wider. Often on the same customer's yard! (Bermudagrass in front, Tall Fescue in back yard)

A fixed deck can't handle that wide a range with just the front casters, so in that case one would have to move axles or change blade spacers on the spindles on a fixed deck.

Remember people...different parts of the world...different mowing situations. Better to point out the differences than to toss out hard and fast rules in one-liner form.

brucec32
02-21-2004, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by PRO PROPERTY CARE

Tell me that again when it's 94 out and I'm wrestling my 32" belt drive I got last year into tight corners and back out again. Belt drives do work well in many situations, but I'm probably selling them to get one hydro. I use wb's for small lots, exactly the places I don't want to be turning and backing a belt drive constantly.

I got a belt drive because I figured I wouldn't be using it that much, but I was wrong. It wore me out on a couple of lawns. Others it was fine on.

brucec32
02-21-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by ej Landscaping
gogetter
this mower will be used full time. we are going to buy it instead of buying another 21" push. I just got off the phone with a dealer that is close so that will not be a problem. He is saying that he also likes the exmark hydro vs belt but it is going to run me 2k more for it. On the maintenance side of the machine he says that the hydro is pretty much flawless. good to know, but honestly, from your own experience is the maintenance and the hydro that much more important to spen 23k more?

1. Hydro usually adds 1000-1200 to the price.
2. Floating vs. fixed maybe $300 to $500, but sometimes they also add advanced features that run the price up higher.
3. Full time? Go hydro if you can. And I'm a big fan of belt drives saying this. (but I use them only when my ZTR won't fit)
4. Maintenance. Belt maintenance is a lot easier to me than some say it is. But yes, they wear out and need adjustments from time to time. Hydros dont' have the adjustments to make (which are no big deal I think) but when they break they BREAK. They are expensive to fix and heavy to push if they break at the bottom of the #@$@$ steepest longest hill in town (trust me on that) With a belt drive there is nothing I can't replace or fix in the field. Even a new transmission is just $200 and bolts right on. Diagnosing and fixing a hydro is more complicated and expensive.
5. Much of your extra cost will be recouped on resale of your hydro. So your total cost of ownership might not be that much more.

If the hydro leaves you with enough extra energy to do just one lawn a week more, it will pay for itself many times over.