PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Honda 21s using Magna Matic Balancer?

JimLewis
02-18-2004, 02:12 AM
We use all Honda 21s. I was looking into buying a MagnaMatic balancer and wondering if it was worth it. My local Honda dealership, who I have a very trusted and respected relationship with, said that perfect balance isn't all that crucial. They said the cut should still be pretty good as long as the blade is sharp.

Just wanting to hear personal experiences from those who've used the Magna matic on their Honda commercial mowers. Do you notice a big difference?

odin
02-18-2004, 02:29 AM
yes it mounts easy for honda 21 inch blades gets them balanced perfertly ...less vibbration on the mower...i wouldnt run any mower without balanceing it on the mag....the mag is well worth the 135 bucks i paid .

JimLewis
02-18-2004, 04:24 AM
It's only $135?? I was under the impression it was much more. Maybe I was thinking of the blade sharpner. Heck, for that price I might as well just get it. Thanks!

65hoss
02-18-2004, 09:49 AM
The magna blade balancer is a necessity in my opinion. I did it the old fashion way and though, oh well, i'm close.
When I got the magna I found out I wasn't even close to being close.

Sharp balanced blades will do a few things for you:
1. A balanced blade takes all the vibration away. Vibration is a power robber and future mechanical failure of anything.
2. It uses the full potential of the mower because its running smooth and getting all the horsepower of the motor where it counts most...in the grass.
3. It will make the job more productive. If not balanced you get 90% of the potential, what would giving you the other 10% do? I would bet that getting full potential from the mower would make it bag the grass better, cut better, and be just a little faster.

germann
02-18-2004, 10:21 AM
I have a hard time sharpening the honda blade on my magna sharpener. It is hard to get the edge straight, the bevel is way off, and the blade turns blue in a hurry. I love the grinder for everything else
Any tips?

gogetter
02-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by JimLewis
It's only $135?? I was under the impression it was much more. Maybe I was thinking of the blade sharpner. Heck, for that price I might as well just get it. Thanks!

Jim, I was gonna say, if you do decide to get one, make sure you shop around. I've seen a big range in prices on these depending on where you look.
FWIW, Captdevo has good prices on this stuff.

dkeisala
02-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Jim Lewis - I know you use exclusively honda 21's - I've used JD, Toro and Honda in the past. I need a new 21 and considering going back to Honda. Stark Street Lawn & Garden is a good source for me as they have several brands and don't just try to sell the one line of equipment they carrry but was wondering which model of honda 21 you prefer to use?

JimLewis
02-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Yah, in the past, I've bought most of my mowers through Stark St. They give me almost $100 off retail price because we buy from them. But recently I found another small Honda Dealership who will give me an even better price.

We only have the HRC216HXA models - the Hydros. They're the best. I don't like the 2 speeds too much.

Fareway Lawncare
02-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Hi Jim, your local Honda dealership is correct IMO.

I run alot of 21"s as well, mainly LB's & Toro's...those Honda's are just too dang heavy. Blades are only balanced once at beginning of season & during the season if they have any damage. Still the Mag is your best bet.