PDA

View Full Version : belt drive walk behinds with sulky

MikeMaupin
02-18-2004, 09:29 AM
I have asked this question here before but I need to be sure since I have no experience with one and I am about to buy one, maybe. Will a belt drive WB with a sulky pull and cut a hill job good.It is a Bobcat 36 " with I think a 16 horse, and I am 230 lbs. Also what it the difference in a suky and a velkie and which one should I get for this WB.The guy at the dealer who is the owner insists that I can only cut level ground with pulling one of these and hills are out of the question.He says I need a hydro which is about 2k more.Is he trying to milk me for more or will I be fine with the belt.I can always get a hydro later but for now my budget will not allow me to go there now.I am not going to finance but pay cash for it so ! Please help me I am ready to make this purchase now.Thanks

hole in one lco
02-18-2004, 10:39 AM
how big is the hill ? I run a sulky on a 48 gear drive with14hp and it works fine for me.

2 wheel sulky is my choice for one reason no third wheel track

FrankenScagMachines
02-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Velke is a brand name of sulky. Go for a two wheeled trailing model thats the best for what you're doing. Look at Velke X2 (Velke's two wheel) and Jungle Jim's Jungle Wheels.
Wright Mfg/Velke website: http://wrightmfg.com/
Jungle Jim's Website: http://www.junglejimsap.com

I'm not sure how well it will work on hills. The only 36" belt drive I tried would not have done it without tightening the belts- it required much manipulation to keep on the hill just walking (no it wasn't worn out it was a demo mower). It needed tightened. Depends on the hills. Try to get pictures of the hills and we could help. Talk to PaulJ on here, he has or had a 36" belt drive with a sulky and used it on a couple hills.

TreffertLawnWrx
02-18-2004, 11:20 AM
I used a belt drive 54/14 John Deere with a Jungle Jim and it worked fine, never had the belt slip. Jungle Jims is a high quality product as I bought another for my 54 hydro!

Lawn Specialties
02-18-2004, 11:38 AM
I use a 44" gear drive with a jungle Jim's and weigh about the same as you. It does pretty well as long as the hill isn't super steep. If you have to clime you can step off and walk up if it won't pull you . The nice thing about a Jungle Jim's or a Velke is iyou can pull one pin and remove it for lots that are easier to walk.

Mike Fronczak
02-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Belt or Hydro won't matter on hill in general, tire will break free with hydro on hill. I'm about same size as you, have a 36 belt & 48 hydro, best advise take off sulky for hills it becomes DANGEROUS. The mowers are simple not designed to have our fat a$^ on the back on hills. Going up a steep hill it will pop a wheelie, going down your completly out of control because brakes are not design for it (either to soft, or lock up then grass/dirt give way). Going sideways is best but a bi$^* th keep straight. Good luck.

MOOSE
02-19-2004, 12:20 AM
The transmission on the belt drives wont last that long pulling a person on a sulky. Especially if that person weighs over 150lbs. I had a walk behind that was 2 years old and put a sulky behind it and the trans only lasted 1 1/2 years. The normal operator weighed at 180 and I myself am about 230 and 5'11" ,so I'm big. But I didn't use it but a couple times a year.

Really the hydro is better off for sulky use.

Just my 2 cents worth!

MTR
02-19-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by MikeMaupin
I have asked this question here before but I need to be sure since I have no experience with one and I am about to buy one, maybe. Will a belt drive WB with a sulky pull and cut a hill job good.It is a Bobcat 36 " with I think a 16 horse, and I am 230 lbs. Also what it the difference in a suky and a velkie and which one should I get for this WB.The guy at the dealer who is the owner insists that I can only cut level ground with pulling one of these and hills are out of the question.He says I need a hydro which is about 2k more.Is he trying to milk me for more or will I be fine with the belt.I can always get a hydro later but for now my budget will not allow me to go there now.I am not going to finance but pay cash for it so ! Please help me I am ready to make this purchase now.Thanks

I don't know and have not seen many of Bobcat WB in action around here, how the belt system on Bobcat performs, but I do know that eXmark has one of the best and most reliable belt WB in market. It has 3 level of adjustments to pull sulky and it rarely slip unless you cut under heavy rain which you normally don't.
As far as hill, you have to find your comfort level or technique on your own, regardless of machine, it takes me a while before I know what to do and don't when cutting slopes.
For me, belt is great, hydro is great too provided it is eXmark machine.
(Scag is another good WB).