PDA

View Full Version : Stihl trimmers and attachments

Birddog Lawncare
02-18-2004, 10:39 AM
THis is my first year and I'm going to be totally legitimate (taxes, insurance, and uniforms.) I am paying cash for all my equipment, I plan on buying all Stihl hand held power equipment next week. After this purchase all I need is the trailor which I will be getting in about two weeks. I will be a solo operation and want to keep expense down as much as possible for this year. My questions is would you buy the Stihl edger and trimmer or just buy the one that you can add accessories to. I do have a Stihl trimmer that's about three years old that I can use as a backup. What's the pros and cons for the add on accessories?

65hoss
02-18-2004, 10:49 AM
1. Its quickier to just grab the dedicated piece than to fool with attachments to change out. If it saves you only 1 minutes each time that can add up over the course of the season. Lets say you take it off the trailer 1700 times over the season. That saves you 28 hours over the course of the year. Effeciency is one, if not the most important part of the job when in the field. Cash flow is most important in the business, but in the field its all about effeciency. Every little thing can add up to big numbers when you put it into perspective of the entire season and then into years.

2. Theft! If you have your equipment on racks its much harder to steal it if its a dedicated piece. If its the type that breaks in the middle for attachments, they can break it loose and pull each side out of the racks. What, maybe 4 seconds?

3. Somewhere down the road you may want to get a helper. What happens if you are trimming and he needs to be edging? Think long term. Not just about today. Thinking about right now only can cost you financially in the long run.

Zach76
02-19-2004, 08:14 PM
I'm with 65Hoss. I just bought the FS80 trimmer and the FC85 stick edger on Saturday because I felt that having a dedicated trimmer was extremely important so I wasn't spending time changing things around at every job.

jajwrigh
02-19-2004, 10:53 PM
I have heard great things about the FC85 and I think I may pick one up soon too!!!

goodbeus
02-20-2004, 08:02 AM
Also, if that equipment should break down, you have no edger or trimmer...;)