PDA

View Full Version : gators, quality of cut

PRO PROPERTY CARE
02-18-2004, 11:27 AM
I was thinking of trying the gator blades. I would use them all year long. I switch back and forth from side discharge too bagging. How is the quality of cut with them , compared to the standard exmark blades.
thanks
mike:cool:

coonman
02-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Gators are all we use. We mulch everything. The cut is great. They are great on leafs also.

Rhett
02-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Daughter picked up the wrong blades for my 36 metro. Had to suffer thru two sets of gators. I only mulch and the cut was way below that of wich the exmark standard mulching blades provided. Many of the properties I had to double cut to make the clippings disappear

hole in one lco
02-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Iv had no complaints yet

rodfather
02-18-2004, 01:39 PM
I love Gators for mulching and doing leaves in the fall...but I'm not too crazy about using them in the spring when the grass is thick and lush. The Gators will chop the grass up too much and make it harder to disperse and broadcast the clippings evenly IMO. In the spring, we like to use a high lift blade.

Dan the mowing man
02-18-2004, 02:35 PM
I was told to run high lift blades but for the discharge blade use gator blade . Where can gator blades be purchased ?

CamLand
02-18-2004, 02:38 PM
We use high lift for most of the season then change over in the fall,great for leaves...

johnhenry
02-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
I love Gators for mulching and doing leaves in the fall...but I'm not too crazy about using them in the spring when the grass is thick and lush. The Gators will chop the grass up too much and make it harder to disperse and broadcast the clippings evenly IMO. In the spring, we like to use a high lift blade.

Rodfather pretty well states it.Great for fall but I won't use them in the spring.Plus you can't sharpen the gators as much

VnDrWLawnCare
02-18-2004, 04:03 PM
I run high lifts throughout most of the year, but would like to break down some of those clippings in the spring. Would it be stupid to run high lifts but on the spindle next to discharge shut run a high lift and a gator. Would this be too risky. Is it a possibliltiy that i could screw up that one spindle.

I have a Lesco 48" hydro with a new 18 hp Kohler

thanks
eric

tiedeman
02-18-2004, 04:06 PM
We use nothing but gator mulchers during the fall

landscapingpoolguy
02-18-2004, 04:09 PM
gators are great....they chopup everything so small....anyone who is getting clumps is running there machine to fast over the property is all....or they are trying to cut too much grass in one shot(its too tall and needs two passes)....I vote for gators all year...the exmark blades wear down too fast and if yur behind and dont have time to sharpen, make they grass look like hell....gators will stay sharper longer because they have more contact area.

Chuck

swim
02-18-2004, 05:42 PM
My Scag 52in/20 hp walkbehind had high lifts on it when I bought it. Tried gators when they wore out and never looked back. I run gators year round and they do a great job mulching everything up, and in the fall the leaves just disappear.