PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Ideas for my own yard

The Lawn Boy Pro
02-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Well, Ive been dealing with other peoples landscapes for awhile now, and I am convinced having my own yard in tip-top shape will be a great example as to the quality of work I can do. I would like to start with the "bottom" of our yard, the lowest point, which actually is a swamp in all that brush. I will attach some pictures to give you an idea of what i am working with. I already have a "dry pond" in mind, which will be natually filled with water in the spring and fall. If i dig it down about a foot or 2, then i should get water all year round.

The Lawn Boy Pro
02-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Heres the "marsh line" in RED , where the yard ends and the marsh begins.

The area where i would like to be doug out to some small depth is in the BLUE region. The brush between the future pond that I have in mind and the yard will be cut down. will leave the trees for some shade though.

Seeing our basement is a walkout to this part of the yard, I am thinking of building a small creek or some other water feature to follow the hill-line, as i am a pond guy :p, and i think it will be a nice touch to our soon-to-be-remodeled basement. There is a cement patio that needs some help too.

Well, now you have my ideas, and I'd like to see what you all can come up with now :).

The Lawn Boy Pro
02-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Oh yeah, heres the pic:

The Lawn Boy Pro
02-18-2004, 12:26 PM
and heres the rest of the woods to the right of the above pic:

D Felix
02-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Probably the first thing I would do is plant some trees. I know, you already have trees, but the two closest to the camera in both shots are Acer saccharinum, or silver maple. I'd plant some trees that would take the place of the silvers in a few years. Yes, the silvers grow fast, but fast growth 99% of the time equates weak tree.

I've got 3 decently large silvers in my back yard and they need to come out, the previous homeowners had them topped about 7 years ago.:eek:

What's it look like around your house (foundation plantings)? Usually you start at the house and work out, not the other way!:D

Dan

The Lawn Boy Pro
02-18-2004, 02:34 PM
Yeah, theres lots of stuff along the foundation line, including a deck and a water garden. Lots of daylilies and stuff.

The Lawn Boy Pro
02-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Any other ideas? Im not 100% sure what I want to do with this area, and its one of the worst pieces of our yard :eek:

WINGNUT
02-22-2004, 09:08 AM
You may want to be really careful with this one. I have the same situation and was going to remove a few trees and brush, but I found out that if I did I would be violating some Wetlands Act provisions. I had to leave mine like it is:cry:

Scag48
02-22-2004, 11:54 PM
I would put in the dry pond, then create a sitting area around the area using paver blocks. This would be a nice touch and then add some color with some perennials.

The Dude
02-23-2004, 07:36 AM
I'd start by getting rid of the snow, Then maybe those odd looking red and blue lines. They just don't look natural.

:)