PDA

View Full Version : Lub/Bar type tire on a Stander?

Shady Brook
02-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Has anyone tired a lug type tire similar to what the Dixie Choppers use on a Wright Stander? I wonder if there would be any fit problems. I would really like to get more traction with less rutting, has anyone tried this out yet?

Thanks
Jay

MacLawnCo
02-18-2004, 01:58 PM
let us know if you try it.

Shady Brook
02-18-2004, 02:11 PM
http://shop.cedarrapidstire.com/results.asp?tcat=SNOWTILLER&beadsize=18-6.50-8

The snow hog at the link above is the only one I can find that matches the exact tire size. Not sure if this is the best route to go, perhaps I should be a guinnie pig.

Any other thoughts or guesses?

Jay

Doc Pete
02-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Shady Brook
Has anyone tired a lug type tire similar to what the Dixie Choppers use on a Wright Stander? I wonder if there would be any fit problems. I would really like to get more traction with less rutting, has anyone tried this out yet?

Thanks
Jay

I've been through 4 different tires finding the right combo for my SWB. The long and short of it is, nothing is free. In other words, to get more traction either by a larger width tire or more aggressive tread pattern, turning becomes a very precise maneuver. One mistake and you rip a big hole in the lawn. Also, as you widen the tire, regardless of tread pattern, you will begin to tear the lawn a bit on the edges of the tire. Both of these scenarios make you turn slower and cost you precious time.
I'd suggest either going to wider tire and do more K turning, or in my case, use the Carlisle "Turf saver", which is a non-aggressive "rounded" tread pattern, but is very forgiven in the turns.
The way I look at is, I'd rather have a bit less traction, but not worry about making a turning mistake and killing the lawn.
Here's the aggressive tread... great traction.........
DP

Doc Pete
02-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Here's the turf saver tires.

Doc Pete
02-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Doc Pete
Here's the turf saver tires.

OOP's my mistake..... these are "Turf mate tires", which is what I'm currenting using, not turf savers.

Doc Pete
02-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Here's a pic of the stock tire, and a turf mate. The stock style of tire is fairly flat with sharp square edges, which is standard in design on riders and standers. The other tire is the "rounded" turf mate style and is much more forgiving with it's rounder smoother edges.