PDA

View Full Version : Keeping track of mowing dates and monthly amount?

Turf Technologies
02-18-2004, 05:14 PM
Wondering what method you use to track mowing dates and there billing amount for the month?

rodfather
02-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Quickbooks Pro 2002

Turf Technologies
02-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Thats your only way? You dont also keep a log on paper for backup?

turf9
02-18-2004, 06:02 PM
clipboard preprinted client list on paper and a space beside each name
set everyone up on the day of the week fit everyone one one in on one page
by the end of the month you are ready to go through and invoice
does that help?

mtdman
02-18-2004, 06:06 PM
I have a weekly schedule I print out. As I mow the customers, I mark them off the schedule and write down their mowing date. Either weekly or monthly I transfer all that into QuickBooks, and a written log book.

:D

Turf Technologies
02-18-2004, 06:29 PM
I do both as well, but im just looking for a easier way and maybe some added ideas.

turf9
02-18-2004, 06:40 PM
some guys are using those palms.

fga
02-18-2004, 06:56 PM
I don't trust computrs, since they crash all the time, I use the ever popular and exspensive "looseleaf binder". I have a weekly list made up of all my accounts, in lists by day. Next to each house, has a blank box, which I write the # cut it is for this week. I cross them off as I do them, and transfer all info at the end of the week into binder. All accounts with a "4" (4th is the final cut of bill) next to them get billed. What's good about this for me is i keep a payroll clock in/out at the bottom of this weekly printout. I then keep the paper in my looseleaf for reference if there is a question in my paperwork. I'll try to post a blank version of weekly route sheet, I'll type in a house or 2 so you get the idea....

fga
02-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Some times I get asked why the house are on dofferent cut #'s....... I start accounts as I get them and bill them after every 4th cut (I cut weekly). Good thing about this for me is, I get checks all the time during the month as opposed to a large sum at once. I can expect checks in the mail every time i pull up at the end of the day.:D

cklands
02-18-2004, 07:14 PM
I use a program designed by another LCO. I print a list of all completed work at the end of the day

pcnservices
02-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Gopher Billing and Scheduling software.
Best money I have invested in my business.

Go to http://www.gophersoftware.com and check it out and download a 30 day free trail

Good Luck
PC

BULLGRAZER
02-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Primarily ADCAD Technologies - Grounds Keeper Pro, www.adkad.com.

I do have some customized MS-Word and MS-Excel doc's for various aspects from customer marketing to agreements.

I highly recommend Grounds Keeper Pro. Very easy to use and has all the major components necessary to keep up with everything (including taxes, account history and banking) but you have to input the info for it to be a good tool...garbage in garbage out you know.

-=KC=-

brucec32
02-18-2004, 10:23 PM
1. Daytimer "by the week" calendar with space for logging in work done daily with notes (cut height, conditions, time on site, etc) for each job.

2. At end of day the dollar amount of work is transfered to an old fashioned paper ledger book for each customer.

3. At end of month this information is used to prepare invoices on Quickbooks.

4. Balances due can then be tracked on Quickbooks.

The Daytimer is a good way to schedule work, since it serves as a quick visual aid to when you were last at a property. The ledger and daytimer serve as backups to the computer, in case something does crash. The computer makes invoicing and AR tracking easier. Daily work can be logged in less than 5 minutes, so it's worth doing. Noting time-on-site and conditions can really help when adjusting rates in the future and helps confirm you're on track.

Turf Technologies
02-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Thats what I use for the weekly Schd. Weekly dayrunner.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-19-2004, 12:18 AM
I use Invoices when I finish a lawn or job I fill in the name the date and what was done they get a copy and I keep one when my partner has time he goes through them and enters them in quick books end of the month we sent out the bill so its in the box on the 1st of the new month. Pretty simple and very effective my partner trust computers I do not and I am proven right quite often if you donít have a hard copy you run quite a risk.

bastalker
02-19-2004, 12:28 AM
All my accounts are on 5 x 7 cards in a plastic box made for em. Has alphabet tabs, so they are in order. Each card has the address, an phone #. They are indistructable. Each time I mow, I just put the date down on the card. The end of the day, I tranfer the dates to gkp. If the puter crashes, I still got the 5 x 7's.

Lawn Specialties
02-19-2004, 02:47 AM
Outlook and Excel but don't ask me how to set it up my wife and sister in law did it. I have a printed list every day with customer info on it.I mark what I did and how soon to visit next time 5 days 7 days whatever. My wife enters it done in outlook, schedules next visit and enters price in excel which usually takes her about 5 minutes including saving to disc every day.At the end of the month invoices are printed out on company letterhead.

PaulJ
02-20-2004, 04:12 PM
A notebook and Microsoft Works spreadsheet.

dkeisala
02-20-2004, 04:16 PM
QuickBooks Pro for invoicing - computer printed log with handwritten notations for keeping track of who, what, when and how long. Converting to CLIP though to keep track of scheduling, routing and logs.

DJL
02-20-2004, 04:18 PM
quickbooks pro.....................

dishboy
02-20-2004, 05:50 PM
I print a daily shedule from ms offiice. I transfer to a three ring binder with each customer having thier own page. Page is divided down the middle with 27 lines down each side. Each side has date, description & price. I can get a years work on a sheet for most accounts. I transfer the info to QB at the end of the month.

Doogiegh
02-20-2004, 07:15 PM
I use Microsoft Excel and Word.

For each customer, they are on 1 piece of paper 8.5* 11.
On the top of the paper, I have the address, their name and phone number and short notes for where the house is located physically (shortcut directions).

Below that, I have 6 columns.

Date - The Date I was there physically doing work for them.

Service - The work that I did

Price - The price to be paid

Paid? - If they paid or not. This is more then a yes or no. If no, it is blank. if Yes, i fill in either Cash or the Check # that they gave me. It has helped me out a couple of times where a customer thought they had paid me but they hadn't. I can go to my truck, bring them their sheet and show them "The last check I got from you was on July 26th, your check # 1239. I was here on August 6th and today is August 10th, so you owe me for 2 more cuts, that'll be $60 total". And if they pay by check, I put down an abbreviation of WHO they made the check out to...

Notes - This column I put down stuff for my memory such as "Very high grass" or very wet or "left tracks on sidewalk - too wet to cut", double-cut, skip a week - no growth, etc.

My last column is "Next Service" where I put down when they SHOULD be done again. I put that down depending upon how the grass is when I get there for that day. Sometimes I put down 4 days, 7 days, 10 days, 2 weeks in the heat of the summer..

My "Next Service" column of say 7 days allows me to sort out all of my customer sheets by next cut date.

If I was somewhere on June 2nd, and next cut is 7 days, I know their next cut is June 9th (or therabouts).

I sort out all my sheets of paper (customers) in order of next cut date. When I go out, I'll see that I have 10 cuts to do, I put the sheets of paper in the order of my route. So I know exactly where I am going from house to house without missing or ever forgetting anyone. It saves me lots of time fumbling around with index cards, etc.

As I leave each house I do, I start the truck, get the A/C Running, fill out the Notes Column and Next cut date. Fill in the Paid column if I saw the customer and then stick it in my notebook pocket. Drive to next house.

When I'm done for the day, I have no sheets of paper left to drive to.

Go home and tally everything into Ms Excel for double checking and go from there.