PDA

View Full Version : New sliding sulky (not Proslide)

gogetter
02-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Saw this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2360571731

Looks pretty good and the price is decent.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-18-2004, 09:33 PM
looks good not to bad on the price

TJLC
02-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Looks pretty slick. If I didn't already own 2 Proslides, I'd probally try one.

brucec32
02-18-2004, 11:08 PM
Might be great, but who wants to take a gamble on a homemade sulky?

gogetter
02-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Ah don't be such a skeptic Bruce:)
A lot of things start off home made. It looks better then some things I've seen that were manufactured by legit companies.

Plus I think it comes with a guarentee (if i read it right).

Gabriel Turf
02-19-2004, 09:35 AM
At least you can sue the big boys when it folds up and cuts your foot off due to a design flaw. How much do you think you will get out of this guy?

gogetter
02-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Gabriel Turf
At least you can sue the big boys when it folds up and cuts your foot off due to a design flaw. How much do you think you will get out of this guy?

I'm just in disbelief at the way some people react when something new comes along.
Sheesh:rolleyes: :confused:

chevyman1
02-19-2004, 09:43 AM
home-made looks pretty risky for something like that, good luck

mow2nd
02-19-2004, 09:52 AM
I bought a Slider once, if you are going down a hill it will make u slide under the mower, unless u all a$$ down the hill. Also going side to side the slider wants to go down the hill when you want to go side to side. This causes the mower front in to turn up the hill.

Stay with what works, the 2 wheel velke

Gabriel Turf
02-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Gogetter, It is called healthy skepticism. If I weld up something in my shop, sell it to you on Ebay, and you kill yourself with it, people on this forum would say "well, he shouldn't have bought it from Joe Blow on Ebay." Does the guy making this thing really know how metal is going to react under extreme force or is he just welding up something with some angle iron he bought down at the local hardware. I don't know, do you? That is why I am skeptical.

Envy Lawn Service
02-20-2004, 05:31 AM
"unlike other sliders on the market you can back up with this one and when you walk behind it no worries of hitting your shin on it"

At the very least Novae Corp might want to take some notes and invent the Proslide 2. Just my 2 cents....

MOW ED
02-20-2004, 07:16 AM
When you get good it you only hit your shins once a day. If you hit them more you are doing something wrong because you should be slidin and not walkin behind it.

FrankenScagMachines
02-20-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by MOW ED
When you get good it you only hit your shins once a day. If you hit them more you are doing something wrong because you should be slidin and not walkin behind it.
Preach it brother! LOL :p I don't have to back up too much but would be nice to be able to do it without getting off. I can back up maybe 6" without stepping off, but the Pro doesn't go back it just stays while the mower comes back at you. Honestly I don't have a problem hitting my shins on it. Just learn to walk a little farther away and maybe MOW ED has a couple worn springs or shocks I dunno.

brucec32
02-21-2004, 02:46 AM
I don't have slide experience and don't know how his works. But I'm surprised at how many really good ideas I see out there coming from undercapitalized businesses and individuals. If I had a slider that really worked better than a proslide I would be down at the patent office, then I would go visit the Novae folks and offer to sell it to them.

But usually the flaws don't show up until lots of testing has gone on. I doubt this fellow has the resources for that, but if you're willing to take his word on it that it's great then go for it. Price is reasonable.

btw, from what I can gather from the photos, you would have to do one hell of a goosestep to lower it from the spring raised position! LOL

And god help you if you're a little too close to that thing when it retracts.....something much worse than your shins will get hit.

michaelc1
02-22-2004, 01:34 PM
I have used this slider and to fold it down you can use your hand to flip the wear plate over (the part you stand on) and then you just step on it and ride, when you step off, a spring flips the wear plate back over and gas lifts raise it up for you to walk say on a hill or anywhere you need to walk and mow and I have never been hit by it. I have used wheeled sulkies and to me the slider gives more stability on a hill like if you are mowing horizontal on the hill. I have also used the Proslide and if you mow up in a corner or a narrow spot like between a house and a fence or anything else it is sure nice to be able to back up without stepping off. I have put approx. 700 hours on my mower with this slider and it has tried to fold up on me 2 times and the only reason it did was because I was mowing around trees with some really big exposed roots and I was running over them and it snagged on one of them. It is a quality built piece of equipment.

gogetter
02-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by michaelc1
I have used this slider

Mike, your the guy selling it on ebay, right? So you make these yourself? Or is someone fabricatiing them for you?

So you're saying that you can actually back up WITHOUT having to step off of it? If that's correct, that's a pretty nice feature. I know you can't do that with the Proslide (not knocking the proslide or anything).

bob
02-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Check out those tires on the W/B. I've never seen these on a W/B.

michaelc1
02-22-2004, 08:19 PM
I do all of the fabricating myself from the cutting to the welding to the painting. It's something I enjoy spending time in my shop doing. You can actually back up without stepping off. If you are referring to the tires on my walk behind, I thought I would try some mud grips until next spring. lol

bastalker
02-22-2004, 08:52 PM
The only problem I see gogetter, is there isn't a pivot point. Doesn't look like it would turn with the mower (from the pictures) Would be hard on the turf I think makin 180 turns without a pivot point. Am I just seeing it wrong?

WayneRI
02-22-2004, 09:03 PM
May as well toss in my two cents. I also made my ow slider. A friend runs a sheet metal business, so I used his brake to bend a 20x24" piece of diamond plate. (Thus, the platform is larger than Proslide's) Bought a piece of 1/4" high density polyurethane from an industrial supply house. This material is next to teflon in slipperyness. Heated it to make the bend along the front. Screwed it to the platform across the front, above ground level. Fairly straightforward to make a two-piece arm; so it simply folds up out of the way, and is held with a hook. Easy to undo and fold-up. No springs or hydraulic pistons. I glued a soft carpet on top of the diamond plate. Comfy! Plenty of room on it to shift position, so not tiring at all. Works fine up hill, down hill, around corners. Slides nicely over dips and holes. No tire marks.
So, now I'll make one that also bends up a little along the back edge, so I can back up. The only drawback I see, is that you would have to be careful not to trip on the back edge when stepping on and off.

LawnMower
02-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by mow2nd
I bought a Slider once, if you are going down a hill it will make u slide under the mower, unless u all a$$ down the hill. Also going side to side the slider wants to go down the hill when you want to go side to side. This causes the mower front in to turn up the hill.

Stay with what works, the 2 wheel velke

I have to agree with you on the slider. I have the pro slide, and it works under the conditions I use it for. I use My Z rider for all other stuff. If I had to use a sulky all the time I would rather have a wheel one.
But then again my one wheel Velky used to make me very very angry too.

michaelc1
02-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Not hard on the turf at all, you can do doughnuts and the only thing that tears up the turf is the tires.

gogetter
02-23-2004, 11:28 AM
basstalker, it's much like the Proslide, it stays behind the mower, no pivoting. Which is nice on turns, no stretching or twisting your body to reach the controls.

I demoed a Proslide and there was no problem with tearing the turf at all (not from the slide anyway).

Another quick note, the Proslide attaches at one point to the back of the mower, whereas this one attaches at two points (if I remember correctly from the pics).
Seems like it would spread the forces on the back of the mower out better. Reducing the risks of cracks/bends/etc.

Sure wish there was a way to try one out. I'm real interested to try "backing up" while on it.

I know the Proslide left great stripes when I tried one. So that's a nice added benefit to "slides".

Anyway, thanks for the input Mike and good luck to ya.
Oh, and welcome to LawnSite!

Envy Lawn Service
03-07-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by brucec32
I don't have slide experience and don't know how his works. But I'm surprised at how many really good ideas I see out there coming from undercapitalized businesses and individuals. If I had a slider that really worked better than a proslide I would be down at the patent office, then I would go visit the Novae folks and offer to sell it to them.

Notice what I said before about Novae Corp. Truth is, most of us like to keep this sort of dream alive, but that's all it is....a dream. The best we can hope for these days is to apply for and receive a patent.....then wait in hopes to sue the crap out of some company.

Today companies are complacent. The attitude is "our design is still selling and it ain't broke, so why fix it?" Companies are content to be comfortably successful rather than innovative. Then one day these companies wake up and realize they have been left far behind the competition. But they don't notice or care until sales begin a sharp downturn.

Case in point: I believe that last season I created the ultimate in zero turn striping roller kits. I started with my belief that all the units on the market today are flawed. I built the kit, field tested, refined and field tested some more. Once I achieved the max in stripes, I field tested and refined the design for long term durability.

In the end I did away with all the flaws, created a trouble free design, achieved a better stripe and built a more durable kit. After some long term testing for durability, ect.... I decided to offer up some 'talk' with a very prominent mower mfg.

HA!!! I couldn't even open up a line of communication. To my complete surprise, all I got was total arrogance. So most likely I'll sit on my little design and maybe someday get a patent. Then maybe someday, someone will "think" they have invented and started to sell something new..... and there I'll be with my piece of paper to say nope....nothing new under the sun there....

Envy Lawn Service
03-07-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by brucec32

Notice what I said before about Novae Corp. Truth is, most of us like to keep this sort of dream alive, but that's all it is....a dream. The best we can hope for these days is to apply for and receive a patent.....then wait in hopes to sue the crap out of some company.

Today companies are complacent. The attitude is "our design is still selling and it ain't broke, so why fix it?" Companies are content to be comfortably successful rather than innovative. Then one day these companies wake up and realize they have been left far behind the competition. But they don't notice or care until sales begin a sharp downturn.

Case in point: I believe that last season I created the ultimate in zero turn striping roller kits. I started with my belief that all the units on the market today are flawed. I built the kit, field tested, refined and field tested some more. Once I achieved the max in stripes, I field tested and refined the design for long term durability.

In the end I did away with all the flaws, created a trouble free design, achieved a better stripe and built a more durable kit. After some long term testing for durability, ect.... I decided to offer up some 'talk' with a very prominent mower mfg.

HA!!! I couldn't even open up a line of communication. To my complete surprise, all I got was total arrogance. So most likely I'll sit on my little design and maybe someday get a patent. Then maybe someday, someone will "think" they have invented and started to sell something new..... and there I'll be with my piece of paper to say nope....nothing new under the sun there....

salahaddam
04-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Hey michaelc1,
Are you still making these?
Any available?
Pictures?
Prices?

Thanks,
Adam

ztoro
04-29-2005, 12:21 PM
I have to agree with you on the slider. I have the pro slide, and it works under the conditions I use it for. I use My Z rider for all other stuff. If I had to use a sulky all the time I would rather have a wheel one.
But then again my one wheel Velky used to make me very very angry too.

I have taken my proslide down hills and had no problems..... If you are careful and pay attention you can easily keep the proslide from sliding forward......