PDA

View Full Version : best sod cutter

snipandclipky
02-18-2004, 09:10 PM
our company is interested in purchasing a sod cutter. What types have you used or would you reccommend.

Ryan, bluebird, claussen, turfco?
Others?

Which one would you buy?

D Felix
02-18-2004, 11:50 PM
We have an old Ryan. Not sure what others are like. We had rented one at my former employers that was red (Claussen?) and had a motorcycle-grip style throttle control that was a really nice feature.

Which to buy? Any that cuts better and faster than a shovel!

Dan

DUSTYCEDAR
02-19-2004, 12:23 AM
i got a sod kicker never runs out of gas LOL

jwholden
02-19-2004, 02:27 AM
Dusty,

That sod kicker is irreplaceable. It has saved my but too many times on those small jobs. :)

kris
02-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Ryan for us ...... We had to disconnect the "low oil warning" feature(simply unhook the wire) because as soon as you would be on any kind of small slope it would automatically shut down. Other than that it's been a fine machine.

PLI1
02-20-2004, 06:47 PM
I have 2 ryans, one is from 1960 and I still use it all the time, They don't make that model anymore. It cuts a 12" wide path and is great in smaller areas. The other one cuts an 18" path. Both are great.

chesie
02-20-2004, 07:08 PM
We have a ryan and it is a great asset to our biz. Honestly if i were in the market for a new one i would look closely at a turfco.

Check you local rental yard. We bought our ryan from United Rentals for a song. Check em out....they do put out some deals.

PLI1
02-21-2004, 05:23 PM
I know a new Ryan is about 3000 bucks, not cheap. If you keep your eyes open, you may be able to find a good deal on a used one.

gusbuster
02-21-2004, 10:54 PM
Some models I would consider :
BlueBird
BillyGoat
Turfco,
I have a Ryan that I picked up for $700 with only 6 hrs on it, of which, 2 hrs were my rental. The place I rented from was going out of business, had the cash on hand, got the machine.

I saw the BillyGoat version at a trade show last month. What impressed me was the compact size and it wasn't top heavy like the Ryan. Something to consider if you work on hills.
John

G&S LANDSCAPING
02-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Blue bird- Easy to use, and all wheel drive. Also get a -sod kicker thay work great for small jobs. Purchased a new Bluebird sod cutter in 2003. Priceless!!!!!!!!!!! .Try renting different brands, Find out what works best for you. For us it was- BLUEBIRD. :D

Randy Scott
02-22-2004, 12:49 PM
We have used the Ryan and the BlueBird. The BlueBird is a fricken' dream to use compared to the Ryan. I always just figured the Ryan was a great sod cutter because of their popularity and all the other products Textron had to offer in this industry. We used one for two years before trying a BlueBird and I can't believe how much that Ryan would shake the livin' crap outta you. After using both machines, hands down, the BlueBird is way more user friendly. Much easier to control and do precise work with. The stupid little wheel in the back of the Ryan usually allows you to wander around rather than hold a good straight line, especially when hitting rocks in the soil it will just deflect and go in any direction. That wheel in the back will also, at times, tear the piece you just cut making it a little harder to cleanup if removing the sod by hand. I just found the BlueBird a lot more user friendly. Employees from all skill levels will have better success using the BlueBird rather than the Ryan, hands down. They have used both and agree, the BlueBird is nicer. The imbalance of the Ryan always wanting to tip forward when wrestling with it on the turf is a pain as well. Then, as stated before, the thing always wants to cut out because of the oil safety switch.

ipm
02-24-2004, 06:01 PM
The Bluebird with the blade in the back and 4 wheel drive is the way to go. No doubt about it.

xcopterdoc
02-24-2004, 09:29 PM
Make sure you keep all the bolts tight in any Bluebird sodcutter. The operator doesnt feel much vibration, but trust me, the machine does! Keep the bolts tight, clean and lube the chains regularly. Outta last a long time.