PDA

View Full Version : Help!

89Ranger
02-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Hi, I am trying to start my own business this summer and needed to know about how much to charge for lawns? Also people say to get the hydro deck and some people say not to. what is a hydro deck? Should I get one with it? Any help will be used and greatly appreciated. Thanks

--Jon:confused:

mow2nd
02-19-2004, 01:09 AM
how much money do you have to spend? depending on your budget will depend on what equipment you can get. Do your research on equipment. I personally would start out with a 36 in walkbehind that is belt driven. You dont need a Hydro mower.

Most people are charging between $25-$45 per cut

89Ranger
02-19-2004, 01:33 AM
I am going to try to get about 5 grand from the bank and also buy a 6'x10' enclosed cargo trailer with a ramp door for 2500.

I don't have any equipment now

mow2nd
02-19-2004, 01:45 AM
You must have checked out my website www.mow2nd.com I agree go with that trailer, keeps everything out of the rain, and from theft. the rest may run you around $3,000 if it is NEW, or you can find some used equipment much cheaper. Good Luck

89Ranger
02-19-2004, 11:38 AM
mow2nd, how do you get 10-20 new customers each day? If you could please tell me a liitle more about it that would be greatly appreciated. I am very interested in it.
Thanks

mow2nd
02-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Sorry, I dont just give away FREE information. I will say, I have looked this site up and down, nobody has a clue.

jajwrigh
02-19-2004, 10:54 PM
10-20 a day? Yeah right....

precisioncut
02-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Call around your area and ask other LCO's min prices and add on prices. It will give a good idea and start.

jsr2741
02-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by precisioncut
Call around your area and ask other LCO's min prices and add on prices. It will give a good idea and start.

Ditto.

I started with a belt drive and when I bought a hydro I hated to even use the belt drive. The hydro will be more expensive but it's worth it.

mow2nd
02-20-2004, 12:40 AM
You can get 10-20 new customers a day, you people just dont use your heads. Everybody is doing the same old thing, be creative, be different, there is a way..........good luck

JandRLandscape
02-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Cost per cut really depends on where you live. In my town some guys don't care if its only a $20 lawn, they won't do it for less than $35 or $40 ,,, why? Some just don't think its worth it to unload your stuff and leave 10 minutes later.. you gotta have a few lawns on the same street so your not dropping your trailer every mile or so.:D just my 2 cents.

J Hisch
02-20-2004, 11:00 PM
mow2nd if anyone was willing to give you any money and if you are so successful with your tactics then how come you have no personal testimonials on your site.......JMO

lawnwizards
02-20-2004, 11:27 PM
the best way to get started in this business is to bust your a@@ on everything you do and build up a reputation. as far as pricing, just use the trial and error method. eventually you'll learn what you should make per lawn. and since you are from montana, soup up your mower to go as fast as it can. no speed limits there...*lol*

FFMED74
02-21-2004, 11:57 PM
I like our site and the info I get here, but then we have someone here trying to scam our people. This "get 10-20 customers a day is for the birds" He is tell you you can get 3650-7300 new customers a year and at $30 a pop you should groos between 109,500 and 219,000 a week after your first full year. Then figure 27 cuts a year(just a number I use) and after you get those people you will make 2,929,500 to 5,913,000 a year, but keep adding those 10-20 a day and you can be filthy rich too..... oh that is before taxes, which I am sure there is someone out there was for 400 payments of $19.95 will put it in Swiss bonds for you.... Sorry I don't buy it and wont buy it LOL. There is no true get rich way to do things, hard work and honesty get you where you are going. Everyone wants the easy way out, that is why some poor sap will fall for mow2nd's line of stuff and then be out $12000 and the only one getting rich is..... you got it mow2nd.

celltech
02-22-2004, 12:22 AM
FFMED--I got to agree. I looked at the website and it seemed to me like an infomercial that you would see on late at night claiming "get rich selling real estate (or cars--or whatever) and you don't even have to work for it". I have been holding off responding to this thread because I am very new around here, but I just could not resist. PLEASE...there is no get rich skeem, unless your coning people.....uh...mow2nd.

89ranger, as far as what to charge?? Well, after reading (almost being obsested with) this site, I have decided that I am just going to charge what I think I need to make and NOT be a lowballer. I will present my offer on my FREE ESTIMATE--yes thats right mad2nd, FREE ESTIMATE, and if they don't like it, oh well. Now I am not in a "well off" area, so if I get a lot of "no thankyou's" than I may re-think my bids. When I say alot, I mean only getting 1 out of 10 customers or so.

OH well, my .02 worth, which probably isn't even worth that much:)

NNJLandman
02-22-2004, 12:39 AM
I charge anywhere from $25.00 to $60.00 for residential lawns in my area, this includes mowing of turf, edging and trimming. Good luck.

WeatherMan
02-22-2004, 12:55 AM
Mow2ed
Let me start by saying I have been in biz for 5 years and make a 6 figure profit, but I have busted my hump and kissed a lot of a$$ for 5 years to get to where I am. Now for you to come here and tell these New peeps that for 15000 you can set them up in biz and they can make over a million in 1 year. your plain crazy If that was true why are you even trying to sell this scam. You should have enough money rolling from your lawn care company that you could send 10k a day. So why Scam these kids and newbies. Peeps like you should crawl back in the gutter and stay there. Onbehalf there is know room for you here, But If I am wrong Please Prove it to me, Or are you to scared I will prove that you are really a scammer????????????????????????????????:blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 10:22 AM
I never stat that you will make a million in the first year, please read everything. I have referals upon request, matter of fact just got back from Texas. Sorry I have not responded to the hate mail.

It is also funny that people will invest $30,000-$50,000 in a franshise. WHY?

I have a proven system, nobody does, and yes I'm getting paid to share that knowledge. If I didnt believe in my system, why would I risk coming anywhere in the US.

Why would I drive over 3,000 miles last week and spend over 60+ hours to prove a system that doesnt work. If are interested and need a referal please email me.................Thanks

03-03-2004, 10:11 PM
mow2nd, was at my house last week in Texas, and he is a stand up guy, his system is unbeatable, but yet so simple.

Flipperneck
03-03-2004, 11:50 PM
that is ridiculous 12000 should be peanuts compared to the millions and millions you must have in the bank. Why waste your time if you are filthy rich. And you can teach any monkey to start a biz but can the guy actually mow or is he charging market for work I wouldn't pay someone 5 bucks an hour for.

mow2nd
03-04-2004, 12:01 AM
Flipper - who are you talking too? and what are you trying to say?

Flipperneck
03-04-2004, 12:28 AM
I am trying to say you would you drive 3000 miles and work 60 hours a week to try and sell something that should have already made you millions.

rookiemower
03-04-2004, 12:35 AM
whats funny is the guy who just gave the testimonial, he is a brand new member only 4 posts and just registered this month, mow2nd were not that stupid, "mow2nd is a stand up guy" my A$$! dont fake being someone else allright

mow2nd
03-04-2004, 12:39 AM
oh, I'm not gonna make millions. I dont even like traveling. I have a wife and daughter that I would rather be spending time with. I got a good business which pretty much runs itself, I just do the bills, write the checks and customer relations.

If you factor in what I charge for my system and the time spent, I really make less than $100 an hour. There are a lot of people in this business who would like my help. There are a lot of people who don't need my help. I respect everybody's opinion, but until you know me, dont judge me.

Flipper, I wish you the best of luck this summer when you get your business going. It's a great feeling when you're the BOSS.

mow2nd
03-04-2004, 12:46 AM
rookie - Guess the name fits. He just started his business last week. I did ask him to check out the site, and feel free to stat his opinions of me and my system. Feel free to email him. He actually lives just north of Austin TX. I'm located in Charlotte NC. Took 21 hours to get there and 19 coming back. Nobody is fake, and nobody is stupid.

03-04-2004, 01:10 AM
I will answer emails to help mow2nd, but I do not have time for the games.

Rookie of course I am a new member, I just started in the business remember?

Too bad this forum does not log ip's so you people could see that out we are located across the contry from each other.

rookiemower
03-04-2004, 03:16 PM
actually mow2nd this is my second year, and most people with a brain don't fall for scams like yours. Get rich schemes come from theifs

mow2nd
03-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Rookie - Have a good 2nd year, I wish you the best.

Lombardi
03-04-2004, 06:38 PM
mow2, please send me a list of your referrals. Thank you.

GREENSPEED
03-04-2004, 11:02 PM
I think I know what mow2nd is talking about.I read(I think it was this guy,pardon me if I'm wrong)on another post that he doesn't give free estimates.He tells people that he will cut their yard for x amount of dollars(lowball)and then he comes up with the (estimate) amount he would charge for full time cutting after getting a feel for the yard.Sounded like a good idea to me.Just don't know how he's advertising.If the people don't like the work or the price he still made money and a "new customer".:cool:

GREENSPEED
03-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Found it.Look up Free estimates in the search box.The name of the post is "advertising".He explains some of what he's talking about.:cool2:

mow2nd
03-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Greenspeed - Great job on the search. Here is basically what Greenspeed is saying. Stop doing FREE ESTIMATES, thats old school, it is in that past. Free Estimates are for people bringing their car in to have somebody look at it. Think about the time you lose to go look at a yard. What about gas? What if you have a worker with you? How long does it take to do an estimate?

Customer calls looking for a lawn service. She probably has called 3 other companies as well. Tell the customer you would be more than happy to take a look at the yard. However, say there is a $$$ (whatever you wanna charge) for me to come out. For this price I will mow,trim,edge and blow. Tell the customer it is a win win situation. You see how great a service we are, and I get a better idea of how much to charge you on a regular basis. You also walk away PAID...................very simple guys..........good luck

Traditional Advertising isnt' working anymore. There is a better way, and that's all that needs to be said. I wish you all a great year.

Lombardi
03-05-2004, 12:22 PM
mow2,
Thank you for sending me the 2 references you have. How long ago did you start this venture? Also, did the 2 people you have sold to buy the complete package? Thank you.
P.S. I am posting this publicly because I think others are interested to see if you are legit and so far you have given me what I have requested.

mow2nd
03-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Lombardi - just started this Venture over the winter. I been using my system for more than 3 years. I'm just helping people who seriously want a NEW way to generate a ton of customers. I worked full time with my dad in the business starting in 1997. Of course about every summer when school was out I helped. After 3 years full time, things weren't looking bright. My dad has been in this business over 30 years, but he decided long ago to stay small. Good for hime, not good for me. So I left, bought a truck, trailer, WB, weedeater, and blower.

Only thing, I didnt have customers. I did everything that you guys talk about on the site. I then got a job on a golf course to help pay bills, and cut on the side. Then it gets to the point you work all week and might can cut 10 yards, but you can't make a living off 10 customers.

So one day, decide to take a chance and quit the golf course. A week later I came up with an idea that saved me and my family. I was able to generate 10-20 NEW customers everyday. The best part about getting these customers is that they were paying me everyday........so I had an instant cash flow.

I realize this sounds too good to be true, and believe me when I told my dad what I was going to do, he said it would never work. The first day I did this, I had 15 NEW customers.

I have kept this to myself over the last 3 years, it's just a great tool for my business. Recently I decided that I'm sure some other companies would be interested in this as well.

As for the second question. One deal was a complete package, the other deal I just explained the system.

rookiemower
03-05-2004, 08:03 PM
mow2nd sorry about the harse words earlier, this system seems like a decent idea, i should have researched before i opened by big fat mouth,
sorry,
bill

mow2nd
03-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Rookie - No harm done. We all in the same business. Wishing you and everybody on lawnsite a great year

lawnwizards
03-07-2004, 12:30 AM
man mow2nd, you sure do subscribe to alot of threads here. just registered in february and you already have 197 posts.

MOturkey
03-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Read this thread with interest. I can only see a few flies in the ointment, from what I'm reading. I think the language "customers' is being confused with "jobs". Customers implies repeat business. Just doing a job and getting paid for it doesn't.

I'm a real rookie, but the thing I see wrong with this idea is that you are going to have to do these "estimate cuttings" really cheaply to get people to take you up on it. It is going to take longer the first cut, because as we all know, the more you mow a property, the easier it becomes. If you are truly wanting to get the repeat business, you are going to have to do a great job. Then, if you are planning on staying in the business long, your estimate for repeat mowings is going to have to be reasonable but profitable, which means you may or may not be as low as the other guy who just eyeballs the place and has little time invested. And, I suspect there are a bunch of people out there who have no intention of actually hiring you long term, but just see a way to get their yard mowed cheaply because they wanted to go to the lake that weekend.

Mow2nd, forgive me if I'm wrong, but that is just the way I see this. It is, perhaps, a way to eventually gain a customer base, but to reasonably expect 10 or 12 new "customers" a day, is something I can't quite swallow.

celltech
03-07-2004, 07:57 PM
MOturkey,
Excellent point. I could probably get 10-12 people a day to pay me for doing something (if I hustled enough). But I think you are right. They would not be "customers". I would have 10-12 jobs a day and once word got around that I was doing this (small community) I would never have any "customers". And once I went through everyone I MAY pick up a couple as customers, but I think it would actually ruin the business that I would like to build.

03-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Well it has been a month now since using mow2nd system and I now have 120 customers who all are weekly cuts. Anyone of you build a business that fast?

KY GRASSLANDS
03-22-2004, 09:45 PM
just visited mow2nd web site and was just wondering how Bob keeps his shoes so white after mowing all day?

mow2nd
03-22-2004, 10:08 PM
120 weekly customers in 1 month. That's what I'm talking about.......woooooooooohoooooooooo.

Congrats !!!

DLS1
03-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Hey mow2nd, please send me some references of people who this is working for and I may check it out. Also need phone numbers so I can call them to ask more questions.

Thanks.

Ohlson P M & L
03-25-2004, 02:18 PM
I am so happy to have found this site! I have been browsing all over it and the honesty is great! I've always been a "figure it out on my own" kind of gal, college and life educated. This landscaping/lawncare/snow removal industry is quite interesting! I enjoy my job and love my employees. The humps, hurdles and strange customers along the way can drive me crazy! I'll be jumping on this site regularly appreciating the banter and advice from all you that are in the same crazy field as myself! Spring is here! Time to get going!

get rich
03-25-2004, 08:04 PM
That's not really anything new. In the first year of business you may not be able to charge the 30- 45 dollar hourly rate you'd like.That does not make you a low ball'r, Just lower overhead and more hungry for work than bigger companies. On some jobs you may have to settle for only a little profit(after overhead expenses of course) You treat the customer with respect and maybe do a few little extra's for them ( planting a 10 dollar flat of annuals can lead to a 1000 dollar landscape install down the road) They will come back year after year with a slight cost of living increase or just explain to them you under estimated the time required to do the job and you need to re adjust your pricing. Or how about a referral offer, a free fert app or mowing for them reffering your name to a friend or family member. Or a small flower bed install that would take twenty -thirty minutes and cost you one yard of dirt, one yard of mulch, and a couple pretty plants for a referal, not much cost for a future customer that you could make that money back in little or no time. Some companies need not advertise at all because of referals. But i don't think what your selling for 12,000 is a rip off, at least they are coming away with some equipment and knowledge they didn't have before. Kudo's to you for thinking of away to market that idea, hope you have a good year selling ideas and work. But i'm still giving out free quotes, sell, sell, sell. THIS IS NOT A PAID ADVERTISMENT, JUST MY OPPINION. LoL

get rich
03-25-2004, 08:07 PM
WOOPS I FORGOT TO USE SPELL CHECK, SORRY TO ALL THOSE GRAMAR TEACHERS OUT THERE, REMEMBER THIS IS JUST A MESSAGE BOARD,NOT A PROPOSAL, AND YES THIS IS ONE HECK OF A RUN ON SENTENCE. ( That was a joke.. insert laugh here)