PDA

View Full Version : Teramite Backhoe, Junk!

troblandscape
02-19-2004, 01:32 AM
I rented a terimite from Sunbelt, they were all out of Kubotas. Let me tell you any Backhoe without a Diesel Engine is useless, dont waste your time!!!!

NCSULandscaper
02-19-2004, 01:33 AM
looks like ud have better luck using the bucket

troblandscape
02-19-2004, 01:36 AM
Btw Here is the finished product

jwholden
02-19-2004, 02:20 AM
You did a great job of not trashing the lawn. My bobcat wouldn't have been so gentle...

troblandscape
02-19-2004, 02:29 AM
I could have done the excavation alot quicker with a Bobcat ,but the time I saved on cleaning up makes me use the mini backhoes. I got rid of 10 yards of dirt on that job. I would have had to regrade the hole yard if I used the skidsteer.

maal
02-19-2004, 03:02 AM
looks good!!!!!!!!

Henry
02-19-2004, 09:12 AM
I've used one of those and all I can say is stay away. They should have been named terra-bull.

D Felix
02-19-2004, 12:54 PM
I've used a Terra-mite once. I won't ever again. Matter of fact, I probably won't ever use a backhoe if I can help it...

Mini-excavators are the only way to go, IMHO. With a Bobcat 331, I can out-dig anyone on the biggest Terra-mite made... Give me a 337, and I can dig circles around it. And rental cost really isn't that much more, the ease of use MORE than makes up for the extra charge....

Just my $.02 worth.:D

Dan

GreenMonster
02-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by D Felix
I've used a Terra-mite once. I won't ever again. Matter of fact, I probably won't ever use a backhoe if I can help it...

Mini-excavators are the only way to go, IMHO. With a Bobcat 331, I can out-dig anyone on the biggest Terra-mite made... Give me a 337, and I can dig circles around it. And rental cost really isn't that much more, the ease of use MORE than makes up for the extra charge....

Just my $.02 worth.:D

Dan

Dan,

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Only advantage of the backhoe is the bucket for moving the excavated soil.

The zero tail swing and offset boom of a Bobcat (or other) mini would have been great for that site.

obtw, nice patio!

xcopterdoc
02-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Was the equipment junk or was it just the wrong tool for the job? I worked for a rental outfit and have been to the TerraMite factory school. Pretty dependable machines. And the bigger models come with a diesel. We have a guy in my area that digs graves with one and has used it since 98, he has a 36" bucket on it and uses it day in and day out. Still there and still running!

troblandscape
02-19-2004, 11:22 PM
The right tool for the excavation would've been a skid steer. As I said before, the time I save in regrading the yard, makes me use the backhoes. The teramite that I rented had nooooo power, leaked hydro fluid the whole day, any Kubota I have ever rented has performed very well.

Scag48
02-20-2004, 02:00 AM
Those things are junk. I know a guy that used to have one and he hated it. A skid steer would have probably been easier, but oh well, you got the job done, 'nuff said. Looks good!