PDA

View Full Version : Interesting observation here @ LawnSite...

BULLGRAZER
02-19-2004, 12:55 AM
I started the new thread ‘For you NEW LCO’s’ and it was viewed 16 times within 5 minutes. If each hit was one individual viewing, that meant MANY people here are lurking – meaning NOT SIGNED in to LawnSite (5 were signed in at the time). Why not LOG IN –come on in, be counted, share, checkout others profiles, find out not only what is what but who’s who. Heck, I’ve made some good friends and business contacts here in short time. I have even met other green industry business owners who I have seen on the street in passing and others I never knew were in my neck of the woods. I even traded accounts recently with one owner I met here and it was best for us both and the customers.

Please at least give it a shot…recently LawnSite had a contest (as you may be aware) as to what the site slogan should be. The winning selection is “Professionally Growing Together” – the operative word is TOGETHER.

-=KC=-

dkeisala
02-19-2004, 02:10 AM
And yet another thread goes unanswered....I guess you got yor response.

BULLGRAZER
02-19-2004, 02:23 AM
dkeisala,

I hear you...Well, at least hopefully most of the 'lurkers' are reading it with both eyes wide open. Did not really expect replies -was scratching my head wondering so I thought I would attempt to rattle the bushes a bit, point out the facts and ask a simple little ole question - WHY NOT LOG IN?

Oh well, its our loss too - but their's is greater for now.

Thanks for the reply dkeisala,

-=KC=-

Tonyr
02-19-2004, 02:30 AM
Know what you mean, really makes ya wander sometimes when you see new threads go unanswered, happens to me too.
You make goods points though, good on ya!

Lawn Specialties
02-19-2004, 02:31 AM
I guess some people could be intimidated but I think everyone has something to share. I've been in the biz for 8 years and it amazes me how much I have learned here. You don't have to run a huge company to have a good idea.

dkeisala
02-19-2004, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Lawn Specialties
I guess some people could be intimidated but I think everyone has something to share. I've been in the biz for 8 years and it amazes me how much I have learned here. You don't have to run a huge company to have a good idea. Agreed.

mtdman
02-19-2004, 02:38 AM
Some people just lurk, don't want to post. There's lurkers at every board. Some people don't automatically log in, or log in only when they have something to say. I read some posts and don't have any comments, don't make a post. Sometimes at school I visit here on the computer and don't log in because I don't trust security on school computers. There's a ton of reasons. No biggie.

BULLGRAZER
02-19-2004, 02:39 AM
I mean really, is it just me? After all, why do the majority of people visit this site would you say? Easy to answer - gain knowledge which in turn helps improve their business, service level, customer base and cash in hand I think would be fair to say.

SO - why not get invlolved totally. Honestly, with all due respect to those reading this who may feel I'm a big A__H___, if you operate your business half A__ much like coming to this site and lurking about half way not contributing and getting the full low down on all, well - enough said - BEST-O-LUCK TO YOU because you're gonna need it - FACT!

-=KC=-

BULLGRAZER
02-19-2004, 02:54 AM
mtdman,

You are absolutley correct - I totally agree - but you do Log In. I suppose I was specifically addressing those that never submit/share - I mean NEVER.

I know what goes around comes around - and when you have a reference tool such as this site and such helpful nice people and as important as the information is to us folks in this world - would you not want to jump in with both hands on the keybord (both index fingers in my case) and ask, tell, share, question, wonder or just plain know a little bit more (profile) about some of these jerks llike BULLGRAZER and such. Know what I'm driving at here. I understand different strokes and all BUT - I'm still puzzled.

If I appeared to be making a big deal about it – I was, just where I stand on this issue - my 2 1/2 cents worth - that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'll end it here.

-=KC=-

BULLGRAZER
02-19-2004, 02:58 AM
BTW - mtdman,

I just made the connection, you are TJ'S LAWN SERVICE. I like your web site - came across it some time ago - nice job.

-=KC=-

mtdman
02-19-2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by BULLGRAZER
BTW - mtdman,

I just made the connection, you are TJ'S LAWN SERVICE. I like your web site - came across it some time ago - nice job.

-=KC=-

Thank you.

Personally, I agree with you. I've got a big mouth and I'm always willing to speak my mind here, or any mb. But some people aren't, or might be shy about it, etc. I dunno.

And then some people go out on a limb and make posts asking for input and then get attacked about it, having to justify their every motive. Not a real great atmosphere for open discourse.

:D

BULLGRAZER
02-19-2004, 03:06 AM
I hear you man - I hear you.

I said I stop w/ last thread - but 1 more...when I lurk, I'm quiet...if I sign in, I can be quiet and have access to even more info - so that really is the big 'why not' Log In I'm speaking about.

One advantage (of many) Log In will, as you know, at least provide a means for those shy or fearful of attack to send private messages directly with those they choose and swap net emails or whatever w/o having to be public.

Man, I do realize we are all not the same here, but I think in this world many of us have one thing for sure in common, that is, making the MOST of every minute - my point.

OK OK - I'll shut up now!!!

-=KC=-

GreenMonster
02-19-2004, 06:56 AM
Guys, I'm new on the lawn care side this year, and found this site by searching ZTR OEM websites.

I signed in immediately on another site first, but quickly found this to be the most active forum around!

So.... I joined here. WOW! The biggest problem with this site is that it is so addictive. I can easily spend hours surfing (and posting). Generally speaking, everyone is extremely helpful and willing to share information. The info value on this site has been immeasurable to me. As I get serious on the lawn care side of landscaping this year, the information I have recieved on lawn care, insurance, advertising, equipment, etc. has given me a great head start. So, why are there so many only lurking? I'm not sure. Maybe just a little shy? Maybe a little intimidated by the seasoned members saying "try a search next time b4 posting"? I don't know, but any non-cooperative replies to a thread usually die if you ignore them. The benefit of the cooperative replies far outweighs the others.

When I head out this spring, I'm sure to make some mistakes. That said, the info I've gotten during my time on this site will help minimize those mistakes, and hopefully maximize my efficiency and productivity.

Thanks to all that have replied to my posts. Hopefully you'll still be willing to help when I hit the "real world" this spring.

jajwrigh
02-19-2004, 07:03 AM
I invite all of those individuals viewing to come and join! Experience the wealth of information contained on this site and talk first hand to professionals in the industry!

BULLGRAZER
02-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Well, since I started this thread I want to be the one to say GreenMonster - YOU have the right attitude and focus in my book - you will do great - and thanks for your valuable input!

jajwrigh - That-a-boy...tell it like it is.

To those of you reading this NOT signed in...have you not figured out by now the majority of us are NOT experts - THAT'S WHY WE SPEND COUNTLESS HOURS HERE - READING, EXCHANGING, YAKING, CONFESSING, MOUTHING, WONDERING, HOPING, NEEDING, WANTING and the list goes on...Join us - YOU DO have valuable input to someone - maybe not everyone - but to someone who needs either to see the issue/questions you may have and/or see the responses.

Honestly, I have only been a business owner in the green industry for three years - I continue to learn or I'm helped with my thinking or viewing of issues specific with my business from persons here just starting out or having less time in business than me - FACT! This is what its all about...Professionals Growing Together!

-=KC=-