PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about flex-deck

Sunday
02-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Howdy y'all,

Anyone use the flex-deck? What are your opinions on it? I have a 36 exmark metro belt driven. Would the cost of the flex-deck justify with the time I saved from mowing?

In other words, is my belt-drive 36" exmark 12.5hp strong enough to pull that sucker? And does it really work as advertised?

Independant reviews only please. If you manufacture it and tell me its great, that won't lead to half the credibility of an end user.:o

FrankenScagMachines
02-19-2004, 11:56 AM
I have no comments on the FD itself, but here's some thoughts on the matter:

That will put your cut width up to 54 which fits great on alot of residential properties just fine. However the bare minimum I would need for that width is 14hp and that's low. If you are only walking behind the mower it might pull it, but i would not spend $1500 on the FD just to see :rolleyes:
Take the $1500 and go buy you a older used hydro 52" walk behind for those larger areas. I sold a decent older 52" Scag hydro with a 14hp for $925 (paid $800) earlier this year. Deals are out there. Paid $2,000 for my '99 eXmark TTHP hydro floating deck walk behind with a 17hp V twin kawasaki.

brucec32
02-20-2004, 12:46 AM
A factory optioned deck attachment might be a good idea, but
$1500 for a unit you have to carefully fit on to your mower yourself doesn't make sense economically in my situation. Better to apply that money towards a 2nd mower I think. You won't have the hp on a smaller mower that it would require. There are various technical potential pitfalls with it too that have been covered elsewhere. Probably makes sense in some situations, just none I can come up with.

Doc Pete
02-20-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
i would not spend $1500 on the FD just to see :rolleyes:

So, in other words, the same point I argued til I was blue in the face last year you now agree with???:D
DP

Turfdude
02-20-2004, 07:44 AM
It seems to me that you have to cut away some of your mower deck for this attachment, then if you want to / have to remove it, you're screwed. Also, you're later faced w/ restoring the deck for re-sale. If you need a larger deck, get a machine w/ one.

FrankenScagMachines
02-20-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Doc Pete
So, in other words, the same point I argued til I was blue in the face last year you now agree with???:D
DP
I don't remember what it was about, but what you are now saying might be true LOL.

I told him, that he doesn't have the power and the least amount of power he would need to do this would be 14hp BARE MINIMUM. 17hp+ would be fair to run that amount of cut. His 12.5 may spin the blades and work during a draught, but I wouldn't buy it for his application, at least not without first trading up to a new 36" with a 15hp V-twin. Then it would work IMO.

Gabriel Turf
02-20-2004, 08:53 AM
Look to the future. Do you see yourself owning a ZTR? You could keep the 36 for gated props, but where would a flex deck fit into that picture? Think ahead and the problems will take care of themselves.

Remember, good things come to those who wait.

You are trying to solve a short term nuisance(mowing another season with a 36 instead of a 52 or 60) with a short term solution(FD). Think of what you want your company to look like in 5 years and this question willl answer itself.

Actually, I was in your same shoes at the beginning of my second season. I mowed that season and saved the extra mowing procedes. I took part of the money in the fall and bought a split drive aerator (which minimizes the physical work that comes with a regular walk behind aerator). The aerator paid for itself in 1 month with a little advertising and in the offseason I got a great price on a Z. With the aerator money and the seasons mowing money I had enough to pay cash.

dobehap
02-20-2004, 09:11 AM
12.5 hp, and a belt drive??? Nope. I think the manucturer himself will agree with this. You really need a hydro for a FD.

I have a flex deck on my tthp36, and I love it.
Also last time I was quoted a price MUCH less than $1500...just email Brad, he will work with you if you decide to get one.