PDA

View Full Version : Best ZTR for the money

keegan99usa
02-19-2004, 10:19 AM
OK
I know you are all "in the business", but us regular guys need help from you pro's.
That being said, I am looking to purchase a ZTR mower and do not have a clue. My lawn is just about 3 acres, yes 3 acres! It was 4 til we put up a house, lol. My lawn tractor was (is) a Kubota Diesel with 48" deck. It takes me about 4 hours and the tractor has been used (1985).
I would like to keep the price tag under $5000 if I can. I also would like to have the option of plowing or blowing my driveway in the winter (200' long). My brother works for John Deere and says I can get somewhat of a deal, but I need to know your recommendations. Please, send me in the right direction. I am located in Central Wisconsin and I'm probablly giving up an ATV to buy a lawn mower:(. All I know is that my Kubota is just not going to cut it again. It takes too long and I only have about 2" of adjustment in length. I also might add that I would rather mulch than bag.
Thanks in advance!
Keegan

BSDeality
02-19-2004, 10:26 AM
you'll be hard pressed to find anything new that will save you any time. i wouldn't go for anything smaller than 60" I'd even look at 72" decks. that being said look for a used model. As far as brands.... i would base some of my decision on dealer proximity and support.

This forum is very pro eXmark. i'd look into gravely since you mentioned you might want to blow the driveway in the winter. The gravelys come with hydraulic deck/attachment controls.

barnard
02-19-2004, 10:29 AM
Is your Kubota worn out? If not and considering you still want to clear some snow , I'd buy a self contained 60 " and pull behind your current rig. Shouldn't cost over 2 grand tops and would widen your swath to just over 100 inches. A good ZTR will definately cost mower and aren't really suited to snow removal.

keegan99usa
02-19-2004, 10:56 AM
No the Kubota is not worn out, but not very good about going around trees and landscaping. I wan t something that rides better, is more manuverable and doesn't run as hot. The diesel is pretty loud, smoking a bit and rides like a lumber wagon. Not interested in a pullbehind at all. I would pull it behind a new ATV if that were the case. Really now, what should I expect to pay and what models please?

P&C Lawn Care
02-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Look at a front mount Grasshopper. Not manyother ZTR's can convert to plowing or blowing as well. It is not in your price range but the deck can be removed and it has a PTO for a plow or a snowblower. With an outfront deck it saves time on handtrimming, goes around and under trees easily. Whatever you get look at a larger deck, like a 60".

Meg-Mo
02-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Since your brother works for John Deere you can't go wrong, but put a set of Meg-Mo Blades on it and you can't go wrong. No more bagging. No special mulching blades or kits needed for your mower.

moonkat
02-19-2004, 01:32 PM
another option:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55124&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

60" is $6999 intro priced. They also have 54".

keegan99usa
02-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks you all for the replies. Links to websites with info and pricing would be very helpful.
Moonkat, I will check with what you said.
I am not tied to a $5000 price, just wondering what I need to spend to get a trouble free mower.
Is a front mower a better option than a ZTR?
Just wondering and thank yo all so much for the fast response.
Keegan

floridalawncare
02-19-2004, 01:54 PM
if it were me keegan, i'd look for a used, but not too old grasshopper front mount. if you're willing to come off the 5000 dollar price cap, i'd get a new one. the newer ones have vastly improved the decks and mounting design. but in the same token, people will be selling the "old style" cheaper now in order to get the improved units. the improvements include bearings in the front wheel pivots, flip up deck, duramax deck design, better wheel bearings, and a few other things. the front mount is the world's best at triming close to trees and srubs. you can run the deck up in and around trees and shrubs without getting beat up by low hanging tree limbs. thet also offer all and many more attatchments you inquired about above. a 725k61 is what i'd recomend. if you want it in a smaller, then get a 725k52. try your best to get the g2 drives on one. the g2's are far better than any drive you can get on most mowers. they sport a 21cc hyudro gear pump with cooling fans. very few mowers come close to that. if i can help let me know!

floridalawncare
02-19-2004, 02:02 PM
oh yeah, go to grasshoppermower.com for more info.

keegan99usa
02-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Anyone have a John Deere ZTR 737? This looks like a nice machine.

DLCS
02-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Keegan,

I have a JD 757 wich is the bigger brother of the 737. The JD ztrs do a excellent job in my opinion. You don't need a mulch kit with them to mulch just put a set of Meg Mo blades on and your all set. Your right JD does have a good deal for Deere employees. I've heard its like a 10% discount and you can trade in your JD every year for a $100 and get a brand new JD of the same model. Definately worth looking into. But the only JD ztr that you can clear snow with is the f-680, which is the front mount deck ztr and I know nothing about those.

keegan99usa
02-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks DLCS
Price for a 737 with 60" deck was $6903. This sound OK? Also an SST with a 48" was down to $3990 and I can get $400 rebate. I can get a $825 rebate with an F525 48" front mower also. Still checking on rebates for the commercial ZTR. Any of these other machines good units? The SST18 or F525?
Thanks
Keegan

P&C Lawn Care
02-20-2004, 12:01 PM
Front mount Grasshoopers are ZTR mowers.

http://www.grasshoppermower.com/03/