PDA

View Full Version : Truck ?s

grassyfras
02-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Hey everybody. I just bought a new 1500 gmc v6 4.3. How much mulch do you think I can put in the back of it if I build side rails? Im thinking maybe three but not sure. Also anyone have any good advice on buidling side rails for the truck? I'm thinking of making the back with hinges or something but not sure if its worth it? Thanks guys

BSDeality
02-19-2004, 02:04 PM
mulch weighs about 700 lb's per cubic yard when relatively dry. you'll be over loaded (1500 is only 1/2 ton) with 1 yard back there. and you won't need sides.

work_it
02-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by BSDeality
mulch weighs about 700 lb's per cubic yard when relatively dry. you'll be over loaded (1500 is only 1/2 ton) with 1 yard back there. and you won't need sides. He's right on the money. You don't need side rails, just a tarp and bungie chords or ratchet straps. Even if you put on some heavy duty leaf springs you'll run into the problem of exceeding the capacity of the tires. On the other hand, you could add on the leaf springs and buy a new set of tires designed to handle the heavy load.
;)

work_it
02-19-2004, 02:21 PM
One other thing. I just read that you bought the truck with the V6. I don't think they have the allyson transmissoin on that truck, and won't be able to handle too heavy of a load. Don't attempt to make the upgrades I mentioned previously. You would just end up tearing up your new truck on work loads that it can't handle.

Let it Grow
02-19-2004, 02:23 PM
I built side rails for my Nissan (Reg. cab, 4 cyl., with 160,000 miles on it.) and it hauled three yards no problem...all the way across town (about 7 miles). A 1/2 ton would haul at least that much without any trouble.

What I did is just used 1/2" plywood with 2X6's on all corners, and I simply connected them with door hinges, but they were the hinges with removable pins, so I can remove any or all of the panels in a matter of a few minutes.

grassyfras
02-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Ok thanks guys. I guess I'l only put one yard in their if I have to and just use the trailer to haul the mulch. Anyone have any good side rail ideas though for brush and leaves?

Turfdude
02-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Put some hellwig helper springs in it & you can comfortably hold 3 cu yds f mulch if you're not going to far or on major highways. I would recommend expanded metal sides as they work well and don't add a lot of weight to your truck, but will work well for mulch, leaves, etc.. My 150 has the straight 6 and holds 3.5 cu yds no problem. I just don't leave the trailer on if I am hauling this much material.

grassyfras
02-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Could you pleae explain these hellwig helper springs? How hard are they to install and how much?? Thanks

lawnman_scott
02-19-2004, 09:29 PM
I put things alot heavier than mulch in my f150. I can get 3 yards in with no sides, just heaping full.

nelbuts
02-19-2004, 11:28 PM
What kind of mulch you hauling? LEAD!
A 2 cubic foot bag of cypress mulch weighs about 20 pounds dry.
There are 13.5 bags in a cubic yard.
That is 270 pounds a cubic yard.

I have two trucks one is a Chevy Z71 4x4 with helper springs.
I can put a pallet in the back with two foot sideboards.
There are 70 bags on a pallet.
Which is about 1400 pounds. It does squat a little but I don't do it everyday either.

DJL
02-19-2004, 11:43 PM
nelbuts,

I'm no expert but mulch can vary greatly when bought in bulk (b/t 500 & 800#'s). So yes, the gentleman who mentioned about 700# per yard is correct.

It all depends on the moisture content of the mulch at that particular time. Every notice when picking up bulk mulch and the loader moves the pile around steam starts coming off of it in the middle of summer? That's b/c of all of the moisture in it. Yes, it has to do with decomposition and other things, but you don't see your bagged mulch steaming after you open it do you?

Let it Grow
02-20-2004, 12:36 AM
I'm sure that different mulch weighs different amounts. I buy mine at a wholesaler and they use a backhoe to load it. I fit three yards in my little Nissan pickup and it was not a 1400lb load.
I've have 1600lbs of gravel in it and THAT was heavy. The mulch wasn't nearly as heavy. Not all mulch is 700lbs/yd.

grassyfras
02-20-2004, 10:42 AM
IT sounds like If I go for 2-3 yards I should be ok I guess.