PDA

View Full Version : mowing more than once per

tjcezar
02-19-2004, 04:12 PM
How many of you mow more than once per week?

WeatherMan
02-19-2004, 04:21 PM
?______________________________________

tjcezar
02-19-2004, 04:29 PM
meaning mowing the same customer more than once

jajwrigh
02-19-2004, 04:30 PM
I will respond on behalf of many on this board....how many times you would cut the same property in a week could depend on the following:

rain
customer preference
height of blade
part of the country
season
etc....

Which such a general question, it can be difficult to answer it accurately because there are so many factors involved. The spring through the hottest part of the summer I usually cut every 5 days. Sometimes a bit sooner and sometimes later. Weather plays a huge factor in the mowing season too.

WeatherMan
02-19-2004, 04:31 PM
We have a few that wants cut twice a week. I try to discourage it but some peeps are stubern

tjcezar
02-19-2004, 04:54 PM
I ask because I have problems with customers that only want mowing once a week, but in spring and early summer when the stuff is growing like "grass" It should definately be cut at about 5 days. It is hard to explain to these pita's that it needs cut more often.

tjcezar
02-19-2004, 04:56 PM
If i cut lower (currently cutting at 3) would that reduce the speed of growth?

vadeere
02-19-2004, 05:11 PM
If you cut extremely low you will run into scalping issues. You might also casue the grass to turn yellow because it cannot hold enough moisture. Just my $.02

tjcezar
02-19-2004, 05:15 PM
yeah i really dont want to cut lower. I was just asking

ludwiglawncare
02-19-2004, 05:49 PM
I like the cut it high and often theory. High grass equals less weeds and more money in your pocketbook.

mow2nd
02-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Stop letting Tru-Green Chem Lawn on your yards and the grass wont grow so much. Do the treatments yourself using 50% slow release Fertilizer. And raise the mower blade to 3.5 maybe higher, otherwise you gonna let the weeds take over. If a customer wants it done 2 times a week, why complain?

terracare
02-19-2004, 05:58 PM
I don't see why mowing a lawn more than once per week is really that bad. More work, more profit, more fun. Lawns that grow this fast are generally healthy and green too, making them look very nice.

Todd

tjcezar
02-19-2004, 06:29 PM
the problem is their grass grows fast and they dont want me to cut but every 7 days which makes it a pita for me

Kohls Landscaping Co
02-19-2004, 06:41 PM
A majority of my customers have irrigation systems and in the spring i am normally cutting each lawn every 5-7 days.

I try try to explain to customers who only want it cut every 8-10 days in the spring that the yard won't look as nice becuase i would have to cut it twice in order to look 'decent' and i normally won't do that at the same price. Normally, after letting it go 8 days and then cutting over it once, the customer realizes that they should have it cut every 5-7 days in the spring.

I also explain that it normally balances out because in the summer and fall it's normally at least 7 days before returning to cut.

gogetter
02-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by terracare
I don't see why mowing a lawn more than once per week is really that bad. More work, more profit, more fun. Lawns that grow this fast are generally healthy and green too, making them look very nice.
Todd

The problem is the opposite, it NEEDS to be cut more often, but the customers don't want to pay for that. So you're stuck cutting weekly and dealing with a LOT of clippings. Which may require bagging or double cutting. So now you're working harder and not making any more money for it.

This coming season I will be more strict with customers about this. If it needs it every 5 days, they're gonna have to pay for it. Or pay extra for the days that I have to bag or double cut.

I'll be pushing the term "As Needed", rather then "Weekly".

cklands
02-19-2004, 07:43 PM
I price the lawns so that I am making my hourly rate in the spring when they are growing like crazy. Then in the summer I am making more. It balances itslef out over the course of the season. I would have a ard time convincing my accounts to cut more than once a week. Besides scheduling would be a PITA for me. My crews mow the same route every week.

specialtylc
02-19-2004, 08:42 PM
maybe your schedule allows mowing every five days but i think most companies like mine are running a full schedule each day and trying to fit customers in on different daily routes just wont work.we have had customers ask to be mowed every ten days or two weeks and we refuse.if they insist we tell them to open up their yellow pages for someone else.

gogetter
02-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by specialtylc
maybe your schedule allows mowing every five days

Yes it does. I mow Tues to Fri. If need be I can use Mon and Sat.

With that said, I still don't take on bi-weekly or 10 day lawns. Weekly or nothing.

specialtylc
02-20-2004, 06:12 PM
What I meant was we have our customers on a route and we would not travel across town to do a couple of residential lawns.Not cost effective.

kris
02-20-2004, 06:20 PM
For me ...the scheduling would be a nightmare ...switching around days etc etc... I got my fill of a few of those every 10 day cut crap our first season...no more of that ...once a week. Same day..almost same time..weather depending.

turfsurfer
02-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Almost always when I have talked to potential customers, they will ask how often I cut the lawn. I have learned to tell them that I cut it when it needs it, no more, no less, and that over the course of the season it will average out to 4 times a month. That way they don't complain when I come out every 4 days early on because when we get our summer hot dry period i may only come out every 14-21 days. Sell them the overall average.