PDA

View Full Version : Bidding a big job

Trim Creations
02-19-2004, 08:35 PM
The bank is building a new bank, The ?? is should I wast my time on bidding on it when the President of the bank and the other landscape company in town are best of freinds plus his wife works at the bank. And I also bank there to. :confused: Or what any help......

swim
02-19-2004, 08:37 PM
Why not the worst they can say is no and if things go well you get a new account.

DowntoEarthLLC
02-19-2004, 08:42 PM
who knows you might get it... if you want it...

sounds like the other landscaper has the upperhand though...

What do you have to loose by putting a bid in? If you win it, you win it and get to make some money, If you bid and lose well... you might have some free time on your hands... Take your girl out to dinner.

Coffeecraver
02-20-2004, 06:25 AM
Business is business

Your bid may include things the friend did not.
If you don't try you can't win.

AGLA
02-20-2004, 07:16 AM
Put yourself in the banker's shoes. If he did not know the other 'scaper, do you think the banker would see you as equally capable of doing this job? By that I mean do you have a portfolio that shows that you have done projects like this? Do you have the equipment and help that will indicate that you can come in and knock this out quickly?

If your company easily looks competitive you have a shot. If it does not, there is probably no reason that will compel the bank to hire you.

Few banks are locally owned. My experience with bank rebuilds is that they hire an outside firm that specializes in coordinating the the site design, architecture, landscape architecture, and construction. They determine who is qualified to bid, but final decisions are most likely done by the board of directors.

The next questions is how much of an effort is it for you to bid on this and how much time do you have on your hands right now? If it is not too difficult and time consuming and you have time on your hands, you should go for it for the experience and exposure.

promower
02-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Who knows the friend might not be interested in the job and thats why hes getting bids.

LAWNPROzII
02-21-2004, 03:04 AM
Something like this happend to me last year. A school dist. here wanted bids from almost all of the landscaping companies in town. Guess who got it, the most expensive company. Well come to find out guess who the president of the school board was? One of the head guys of this company.

D Felix
02-21-2004, 10:16 AM
That sounds like conflict of interest to me... I would have pitched a b*tch had I been the lowest bidder.

Was it all based on a standard plan, or did each company come up with their own?

Dan

raystreet
04-18-2004, 02:38 PM
WHATS YOUR TIME WORTH IF YOU HAVE SLOW TIME NOW GO FOR IT BUT IF YOU DONT NEED THE WORK SOUNDS LIKE YOU WOULD WASTING TIME AND $$$$

THIS IS HOW WE LOOK AT ALL JOBS NOW RAY