PDA

View Full Version : I'm new, and I've got some questions

thelawnkid
02-19-2004, 11:41 PM
I am 17, and I have been mowing for several years now. I am mowing with a 32" exmark metro, and a 52" wright stander. I am wanting to expand my client base, as much as possible. Right now I am using flyers for and business cards for advertisement. What are some other good ways to pull in new customers, what can I do to beat out the competition. This year I would like to expand as much as I possibly can. Give me some of your opinions on advertising. I'm open to any suggestions.

MudslinginFX4
02-20-2004, 12:02 AM
First off, welcome to the site, you will find some good information here on your business. I think that flyers and business cards like you are doing will be your main form of advertisement. Another thing you can do is have your company name put of your trucks, and trailers, especially if you have an enclosed trailer. You've got to be patient though, as all of us here know, customers don't come over night, and a lot of your best customers will come from word of mouth. Good Luck on your business!!

thelawnkid
02-20-2004, 12:33 AM
thanks for the advise. I was thinking about putting flyers out around now, and then putting them out again around the time when the grass starts growing. is it worth it to put flyers out twice.

promower
02-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Find properties you would like to service and approach them. I have three residentials side by side, each one about an acre. The neighbor next door had a really nice property that I wanted. When I finished I went over to his house and talked to him and landed the job for the following year (already in contract with a different company) At the time I didnt have my truck lettered so he didnt know who I was but after talking to him he said he was interested becuase he liked the look of his nieghbors cutting. Sometimes customers wont approach a company and will just go on with their current LCO rather then calling for estimates and switching everything over to someone new. Just be assertive, talk to others in person, this is probably the most time consuming advertising but it's also the cheapest and lands a lot of jobs, and since the properties were hand picked by you they are the most desireable jobs.

thelawnkid
02-24-2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the help, what do you guys think the best way to land commercial accounts would be

lawnranger44
02-24-2004, 01:27 PM
It sounds like you have a business comparable to mine and my brother's. Some advice on the flyers: You should get about a 2% response rate, depending on where you put them. You might want to consider paying some of your friends a little money to pass flyers out in their neighborhood so you will be able to get more flyers distributed. I think this is way worth it and chances are for each 100 flyers your friends pass out you will get 1-2 clients. We are passing out at least two waves of 1000

thelawnkid
02-24-2004, 02:18 PM
right now I am paying one of my friends to help me, so far we have passed out 1000 fliers, and by sunday I hope to have passed out around 3000 to 4000 fliers. what type of equipment do you guys use, and what do your fliers look like

Joe25
02-25-2004, 01:24 PM
I am in the process of developing up some new flyers. They are basic, the company name and phone number, description of services provided, and company slogan. I am going to print them on some colored paper and probably pay some people to distribute them.

Equipment: Two Exmark walkbehinds, Toro Push Mower
Echo String Trimmers
Echo Back-Pack Blowers
John Deere walkbehind blower
Echo Hedgeclipper
Little Wonder Hedgeclipper

Let it Grow
02-25-2004, 02:31 PM
To get commercial accounts the first thing you need is to be licensed, insured and bonded. I don't know if you are already, but that is the first thing that most commercial clients will ask for.