PDA

View Full Version : Rough price for a paver driveway...

KenH
02-20-2004, 08:32 AM
A customer asked me for a rough price he could expect to pay for a concrete paver driveway. I dont do this sort of work, so I had no clue. Can anyone throw me some numbers???

D Felix
02-20-2004, 11:21 AM
I never can believe that anyone here would put any validity on numbers other than hours spent on particular tasks.... I could say that I charge $1/sq foot to do a concrete paver job, and I clear half of that after expenses... Or I could say that I charge $5/sq ft and am barely scraping by...

Now, if you re-ask the question, in a manner such as "how long should it take to do a paver driveway of XXXX sq ft on a flat grade, no hills, good drainage?", then we may be able to give some legitimate help...

As far as prices go, it really depends on the type of paver and how fast you work, what the base prep is like, etc... What works for me (or anyone else for that matter) probably WON'T work for you.

Not busting your balls or anything, just trying to point out the semi-dumb questions that are asked here all the time (and answered too...).

Dan

KenH
02-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Ok. How long should it take to do a paver driveway of 3000 square feet on a flat grade, no hills and good drainage? And, what would be the cost estimate for that job.

BTW, I am not looking for pricing help as I DO NOT DO PAVERS. A customer just asked the question in conversation, and I really had no idea how much a paver drive would cost.

CNYScapes
02-20-2004, 11:29 AM
i would charge about $5-6 SF just for labor. Then add in your base material,brick, sand, edging. But thats in our neck of the woods.

D Felix
02-20-2004, 11:56 AM
To get an accurate cost estimate, someone local needs to be called...

It could be as low as $6-8/ sq. ft. installed, or as high as $14/ sq. foot installed, plus excavation fees. I've seen that $14/ sq. ft driveway, and it's over 80,000 square feet....... Tumbled pavers and all.

There's a big variation, as you can see. What it ultimately will depend on is what type of paver the client would like. And what's under the pavers.

Dan

kris
02-20-2004, 06:51 PM
figure that a small 1000k driveway you can excavate and have the base partly finished in a day ... bobcat and tandem truck..fairly close dump and supply yard....3 guys carry and lay stone approx 1000sq ft a day...another half day to finish up...total around 2.5 days

chesie
02-20-2004, 07:04 PM
I would say if you do not do paver work but are looking to get into it......i would not start with a driveway. Driveways are whole other animal compared to a paver walk or patio. You have vehicular loads and presuures to consider.

Pass on it and start small with the pavers. There is alot to learn and i would not start trying to learn with a driveway. You could possibly open yourself to a whole rash of callbacks and in the process give yourself a bad reputation. Not trying to be negative.....just trying to look out for you.

KenH
02-20-2004, 07:23 PM
I AM GOING TO REPEAT THIS ONE MORE TIME. I AM IN NO WAY INTERESTED IN GETTING INTO PAVER WORK. A GOOD CUSTOMER OF MINE WAS KICKING AROUND THE IDEA OF A PAVER DRIVEWAY AND ASKED ME 'ABOUT HOW MUCH WOULD THEY RUN.' I TOLD HIM I HAD NO IDEA AND CAME HERE TO GET SOME DRIVEWAY PRICE NUMBERS. AND YES, I AM YELLING.

:D :D :) :D :D

kris
02-20-2004, 07:28 PM
Sorry if my post didnt help you Ken ,,,I thought I'd give you an idea of MAN HOURS since talking price is pointless. now I'll give you a pointless answer .... our company could probably do it for 30k ... tumbled stone.

chesie
02-20-2004, 07:29 PM
LOL...hear you LOUD and clear.

KenH
02-20-2004, 07:32 PM
Hehe...just kidding guys. A ballpark like 30K is great info. That is what I was kinda looking for......

kris
02-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Ken .... I was serious about the price but man ... I live in a different country .. our overhead costs...cost of living...EVERYTHING could be quite different than companies down there. Give them a ballpark if you like but I would much rather you phone around and try and get someone from a REPUTABLE company where you live to give them a ballpark.

BTW Felix...14$per for 80k square foot drive.... I could live with that:)

chesie
02-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Ken- to give you a ballpark figure we are going to need to know the size and what is there now...no driveway, concrete, asphalt, or gravel? Then we might be able to do a "broad " ballpark.

KenH
02-20-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by KenH
Ok. How long should it take to do a paver driveway of 3000 square feet on a flat grade, no hills and good drainage? And, what would be the cost estimate for that job.

Existing 3 year old 3/4" crushed stone drive on top of what builder left there. Drain already installed in driveway.

chesie
02-20-2004, 07:54 PM
ooopppss....lol....man i got to put on my glasses! HOw did i miss that? I better quit now.....

chesie
02-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Like kris said this is going to vary alot from region to region and from contractor to cntractor. But i would say with little base prep...18-25k. Driveways can be very productive and can blow away patio production times.

aries
02-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Hey Ken,
if you are not doing the job and just telling the costumer of a ball park # than thats fine to tell him $30,000 no sweat of your back
and your just giving an idea #.
Joe

KenH
02-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Thanks all. I really appreciate it.

sproutlscape
02-20-2004, 10:56 PM
KenH,
You are looking @ $14 to $18 a SQ FT. Thats with a correct base put down. The price different would depend on the block style used. If they are interested give me a call @ my pm address. I'll give you a % for the find.
Thanks
Sproutlscape:D

hoyboy
02-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Pricing is funny. Frankly I'm sick and tired of hearing people on this forum boasting that "I get $50 billion dollars a foot to do such and such"...

In reality, go with the market and position yourself where you want to be. If you want to grow your business, you have to give value AND service that is reasonable and appeals to the masses. If you want to stay small, keep your prices high and cherry pick your customers.

I could charge $25/s.f. and maybe get a couple customers a year, or I could charge $10-14s.f. and keep several crews going. It's what you want to do with your company in your market. I charge at the upper end of the market, but then give excellent service, have a secretary that actually talks to customers when they call, follow through with promises, bill on a timely manner, send thank you's, etc etc. That is really what MOST customers want...good service at a fair price...not the Cheapest price, just a fair price.

Sorry for spouting off, I just get sick of hearing people brag about how much they charge. Most of them probably only have a couple of employees anyway. I probably charge more than 90% of the people on this board, have almost 50 employees, and love what I do. But that doesn't matter because my situation is going to be different that everyone elses, and vice-versa.

zedosix
02-21-2004, 09:40 PM
now who's bragging?

AGLA
02-21-2004, 10:54 PM
I don't have a problem with what Dan said. He is open minded to people choosing to charge higher rates than he does. His approach is volume.

Not that many landscapers can manage multiple crews. That is a talent in itself. To do that and manage well enough to charge low rates and make money is an ability that few of us have. I sure don't have it.

Here is a guy with those skills that is not saying he's doing it THE right way. Just the right way for him.

hoyboy
02-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Thanks AGLA. I re- read my post and think I came off a little snotty. Sorry to anyone I offended. What I wanted to get across is that people's situations and the market they are in dictate the prices they will charge. That's the way it should be. Other people seem to be driven more by ego...those should keep to themselves and not look down on other people who charge differently.