PDA

View Full Version : Drive between pump and engine

Northwest
02-21-2004, 05:35 AM
I had two robin 6hp engines and one hypro D30 pump stolen from my spray rig. I don't know why they left the other pump. I was wondering what drive I should use to connect these. It looks like the manufacturer used a some sort of straight coupling which I only have the half attached to the pump. What is the best method to connect the engine and pump. I have seen the gear reduction coupling at rittenhouse or is there something cheaper and just as effective like the manufacturer used. Also, what engines would you get. I can get the same robins for about $100.00 cheaper than Honda's. and they would bolt back in the same holes if I knew what coupling the manufacturer used. Also I have seen honda engines with a 6:1 gear reduction for about $80 more. Would this replace the need for the rittenhouse gear reduction. Also did the manufacturer screw up when they direct drive connected the robin EH17 engines to the Hypro D30. The Manufacturer (Ketchum Industries)is no help they do not answer there phones or respond to messages.

Northwest
02-26-2004, 01:25 AM
Anyone know how to connect these?

specialtylc
02-26-2004, 02:21 AM
The d-30 I have has a honda with the gear reduction.The gear reduction bolts directly to the engine case. You need the gear reduction on the pump because the pumps are designed to run at 1/6 the rpm of a gas engine.

Ric
02-26-2004, 10:58 AM
I have seen set ups with Belt drives. Honda Engine with small pulley and D30 with Large pulley. Sorry I do not know what sizes of Pulleys. Belt Drives are of course, cheaper to set up. A local manufacture here in Florida claims belt drive is better. He does make a nice rig. Of course the import thing here is to keep the D30 at a RPM that will not damage the pump. However it might be easier to go back with gear drives. Good Luck on replacing your equipment.

Northwest
02-27-2004, 12:11 AM
Thank you for the replies. I got in touch with hypro tech support and you are right the D30's max rpm is 550 so some sort of reduction has to be made since engines run over 3000. I ordered the pumps, gear reduction and engines from rittenhouse and hope to get my rig put together next week. Boy thieves really steam me. I guess it could be worse, a guy with a snap on tool truck was killed two days ago making his rounds to some of the farms that are just twenty minutes out from me. These scum then called his house and said they would beat him if his wife did not tell them the pin numbers to his credit cards. The police figure he was already dead at that time. I hope they fry, but working part time at the county jail I know better. The only justice would be if some other thief kills them for the tools.

tremor
02-27-2004, 09:29 AM
The final drive is a 6:1 reduction unit. Honda makes their own & the D30 bolts right to it. Noisy sucker due to slack cut gears.

Kawasaki also makes their own in which the gears are cut to better tolerances so are much quiter.

Hypro's own unit is the fanciest & most expensive so very few OEM's use these.

Briggs & Stratton's are somewhere between Honda (worst) & Kawasaki (best of the engine makers) but the engines themselves suck so bad no one wants them any more.

I work for LESCO. We used to offer an entire Pump/Engine/Gear Reduction assembly unit ready built on a plate. The assembly could be directly bolted or welded (careful of the heat to avoid warpage!) right into place. It never mattered what brand of sprayer it was. We always managed to fit them in neat & clean. Since I no longer manage a store, I have no idea if we still sell them. The nice thing about this approach is that all the critical wear components end up fresh, new, & warrantied all at the same time with no surprises.

It's worth a look-see. 1-800-833-6855 ask for EQ Tech Services or stop at a store. If you get a blank stare at a store, make them make the phone call. They need to speak with either Bill, Brad, or Brian. LOL

Steve

Northwest
03-01-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the info, to my knowledge we do not have any Lesco's in Washington state. I went with the Hypro unit, Rittenhouse said I would have almost that in it with the more expensive engine and shaft assembly and couplings. Probably just wanted to sell the expensive hypro gear box. I ordered the stuff cause I have to get this together. It would have been have been sweet to just bolt that lesco unit right on.