PDA

View Full Version : Building up truck sides, few q's

dlandscaping
02-21-2004, 07:26 PM
I am using 2x3's for the stakes and 2x10x8' boards as the sides. If this is for mulch and leaves, how many coats of paint will it need to hold up to this and also weather. Its going on at the start of cutting season and staying on til after leaf season. So far I put 2 coats of primer/base and then two coats of Behr primer/sealer. I didn't stain it because I am going to put a sign on the side of it. Will post pics later.

newleaflandscape
02-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Got a golden idea for ya. I need to patent these sides. I made them for my two axle trailer last year. I made my side out of aluminum and plastic. I had the guy that builds trailers for boats sodder together the aluminum frames for me. Just gave him the dimensions and he put it together. Then I put that slippery roll plastic like they use on the floors of big dump trucks, and cut it and mounted the plastic on the aluminum sides. I then put locking keys on each corner so that the sides cannot go anywhere. It looks great because the plastic is black and looks good up to the aluminum, and you never have to worry about warping rusting rotting or anything that wood has to offer. Also they are much lighter then wood, so it is easy to lift the sides off. Next time I go out to the shop I will take a pic of the sides to give you a better idea. I made the sides for the 21 foot long seven foot wide trailer for 270 bucks. I love em. Like I said I should patent the things and sell them for all makes and models. As for signs, I had my sign guy make some of those stick vinyl stick on logos. Put those on it and looks real sharp. The only thing that I had worried about is possibly the plastic cracking, but so far nothing.

Coffeecraver
02-21-2004, 08:00 PM
I built my sides on the Ford like a cattle rack and painted them with an oil base the same color as my truck.

Im going to check out the sides that newleaflandscape described for my 2003 /2500 Dodge 4x4 single cab

:blob2:

newleaflandscape
02-21-2004, 11:37 PM
This isnt a great picture of them cause I was focusing on the backhoe, but it will give you somewhat of an idea until I go and take some pics.

promower
02-22-2004, 11:05 PM
could you use a material that bedliner spray would stick to? I dont know if it can be used on wood, I'm thinking not.

gene gls
02-23-2004, 12:09 AM
I used alumiumn chanell for post and 1x10 pine boards for sides on my dump body,no stain or paint. It will be years before they rot.

Gene

GLS
02-23-2004, 12:23 AM
As long as you are using pressure treated lumber it should be fine.

I thought about painting mine but decided I liked the plain look. I could put a couple coats of polyurethane on them, but I figured they will hold up fine.

I'd post a pic of my sideboards but i'm sure you've seen them. Let me know if you havn't and I'll post a pic.

IndyPropertyCare
02-24-2004, 05:25 AM
Here is an idea for everyone...... use aluminum C channel and sheet metal,,,then have it sprayed with Line-X :confused: Oh ya, its going to last a while.

D Felix
02-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Sounds like you've already got the sides built. If you do it over again, use 5/4 board instead of 2x stock. It's much lighter to take off the bed and put back on, and it will last just about as long as the 2x stuff will.

I wouldn't paint/stain it. Just a major PITA, IMHO. Plus, what happens when a board gets broken for some reason in the future? The paint/stain will have faded, and you won't ever get the new board to match. If left unstained/painted, a new board will quickly fade to match the old ones in a matter of about a month or two, and in just a couple of weeks you probably wouldn't notice it anyway.

Just my $.02.:D

Dan

newleaflandscape
02-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Indy Property only problem is those sides way so damn much. With plastic and aluminum they lift off with easy all you have to do is put channels on each corner to lock them in place.