PDA

View Full Version : Need Help w/Large Sago Palm

BrandonH
02-22-2004, 03:16 PM
I try not to do much as far as landscaping goes, but my grandmother wants me to do something with her sago palm and it's hard to turn her down. The problem is the palm is way too big for where it's located and either needs to be removed entirely or trimmed down a great deal. I'm not very familiar with them, but when looking it over I noticed what looks to be several different plants in one. I'll attach a couple of pics. The first is the entire palm and the second is of one of the many places where it looks as though another palm is growing. I need any recommendations as far as trimming it or removal. If I remove it I would like to relocate it somewhere, but is there a way to get more than one palm out of this one?

Thanks,
Brandon

BrandonH
02-22-2004, 03:17 PM
Here is the other pic:

ElephantNest
02-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Holy cr....! You have a goldmine there! Yes, each "pup" you can pop off, replant, and sell for good money. Work from the bottom up, popping off all the new pups, with a shovel, then trim the remaining frawns from the bottom up, leaving a few on top to keep the shape. "Legging it up" is what is needed, and it will look a lot better.

BrandonH
02-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info. Is there a certain time of year I should trim it, or is it ok to do now(it's currently a low of 45 or so and a high of 70)

-Brandon

BW4486
02-23-2004, 07:26 PM
Its a King Sago , Its actually a cycad not a palm but like elephant said you can remove the lower Pups and sell But as for the main plant its really in a bad spot. She probally still will not be able to see out her window. So you may just want to transplant it .
By the way when you are trimming dont mess with the crown.
it will kill it

danno
02-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Make sure you plant the pups with about 1" of their respective crowns above ground. They will grow better that way. The main palm probably should be moved. They are quite resilient in transplanting. Their roots are not that big and you could easily do it with one other person. If possible, trim the trunk up and leave maybe 3 courses of fronds on the crown. Take a ratchet tie down and wrap around the fronds to cinch them upward to keep them out of your way and to avoid damage and start digging around the trunk about 18" out. Definitely wear gloves when handling and good luck!