PDA

View Full Version : A recent job I did

JimLewis
02-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Here is a quick before - after of a recent landscape renovation I did for my cousin up in Seattle. Just thought I'd share the pics. I thought the job turned out pretty good.

Here's the BEFORE...

JimLewis
02-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Here's the AFTER....

Lawn Made Easy
02-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Good looking install.

MudslinginFX4
02-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Jim, it looks great, as I'm sure all of your work does!

KenH
02-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Looks good.....:D :D :D

Gilla Gorilla
02-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Nice work Jim, looks great

crbapel
02-22-2004, 10:12 PM
either change stones to gray slate or your cousin should paint his house.

Mykster
02-23-2004, 01:14 AM
Looks nice. Way to throw Jim's favorite tree in there KenH. lol

JimLewis
02-23-2004, 01:29 AM
either change stones to gray slate or your cousin should paint his house.

I don't know. I've done WAY too many jobs with the usual gray flagstone. It just ends up blending in. It doesn't stand out at all. I don't think there is a clash at all. I think it compliments the color of the house very well. And it stands out as a focal point.

This isn't the best after picture. There are more plants there. Also, many of the perennials we installed aren't even up yet or aren't in bloom. You can barely even see the Japanese Laceleaf Maple near the hose - which will be a huge focal point. There is a neat spiral topiary arborvitae just outside of the picture, and we also installed a neat keystone retaining wall below and gravel parking area by the street.

I'll get some better before and afters later when everything is more mature an in bloom or leafed out. But I just thought the transformation was neat. From a boring, colorless landscape and lawn with no interest - to a colorful and bright landscape with 3 major tree focal points, a neat pathway, and a lawn that has all sorts of appeal now.

It was a lot of fun. Since we did it all on 2 days on a weekend (and I NEVER work weekends) it was nice to see everyone on his block stop and compliment us as the job got near completion. I could have got 2 more jobs on his block if I wanted to work in Seattle.

KenH
02-23-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Mykster
Looks nice. Way to throw Jim's favorite tree in there KenH. lol

:D :D :D

BSDeality
02-23-2004, 11:58 AM
i would toss a few extra stepping stones in up closer to the house by the first bend. So when you get out of the car (by the house) you don't have to walk down the driveway to get to the start of the walkway.

stslawncare
02-23-2004, 12:19 PM
great looking instal. if u dont mind me asing what did you pay in materials. im guessing since it was ur cousines place u may not have charged for labor but what would u have?

JimLewis
02-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Well, there's more than what you see in the pics. There's also a 50' x 3' keystone retaining wall and a few more plants. But here's the breakdown;

From Portland, I brought up the flagstone and plant materials. The flagstone was $121.00 and the plant materials were around $300. Then, my cousin already had half of the retaining wall bricks someone had given to him. He spent an additional $200 in more bricks. He also already had about $200 worth of barkdust, soil, and gravel waiting in piles in his driveway when I got there. And we had some more expenses in fertilizer, annuals, pre-emergents, moss killer, etc.

All and all, he ended up spending about $900-$1000. It would have taken one of my crews 3 days to do all of the work we did. So I would have charged a little over $3000 for that job.

Lawn Tek
02-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Looks nice Jim . He paid you in beer ?

JimLewis
02-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Nah. That stuff is nasty. He paid me in stuff that actually tastes good - pizza! :)

jajwrigh
02-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Very nice work! That is inspiring!

JimLewis
02-23-2004, 03:57 PM
You'll notice that we changed the grade of the landscape too. In the Before picture, you can kind of see how there is a big drop off on the first deck area. It was about a 12" drop off.

Now, it's only a 2" drop off - and in the after picture you can hardly tell the grade was changed at all. We did it real gradually.

Randy Scott
02-23-2004, 05:52 PM
Does your cousin ever close the screen door? :)

kootoomootoo
02-29-2004, 09:58 AM
I'll be blunt. ...looks like crap. I wouldnt last 5 mins if I did that around here. Not enough shrubs and the ones you have are too small. ie looks like a typical homeowner DIY. My opinion though. Grouping in three's or five's of some nice accent plants and a feature ornamental tree would work better.

JimLewis
02-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Well, my cousin had a budget of $600. We stretched that to $1000. If you could do better for $1000, great. Let's see it! Keep in mind that $1000 also covered a 50' retaining wall that isn't pictured, 4 hours worth of pruning, 4 truckloads of sod, old plants, and yard debris hauled away, another 10 or so plants that aren't in that picture, another 4 yards of barkmulch that isn't in the picture, re-grading and graveling a parking strip by the street that was 50' x 8', Carving out another 200-300 sq. ft. of sod that isn't in the picture, and several yards of soil for backfill, etc.

Don't criticize me just because I was given a limited budget. He lives in a mediocre neighborhood. They aren't fancy new houses. They are older homes with older, worn looking yards. This one looks pretty dang good now for the limited budget and the limited time we had.

ladibugg
02-29-2004, 04:23 PM
Jim, I like it just fine. The ole walk in these shoe applies here I think.

kootoomootoo
02-29-2004, 05:21 PM
If this is suitable to most well good luck. What surprises me most is that with the professional website and red trucks etc you would have done better.

Let it Grow
02-29-2004, 06:07 PM
kootoomootoo...let's see your $1,000 design. I'm pretty sure that most people couldn't do too much better than that and stay under $1,000.

It doesn't matter how nice of a website you have or how many pretty red trucks you have, you gotta stay under budget if possible. That's what he did, and he made it look good.

KenH
02-29-2004, 06:10 PM
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Not everyone has to like it. As long as the customer does, that is all that matters.

kootoomootoo
02-29-2004, 09:51 PM
5X 2-3 gal spiraea @ $10.00ea,
5X 2-3 gal Korean Boxwood @ $12.00ea,
9X daylillies @$3.00ea,
1X 2in crab @ $75.00,

Total $212

If you think this is quality work I am in the right business.

longslawn
02-29-2004, 10:18 PM
Lets see some of your work hotshot!

rookiemower
02-29-2004, 11:57 PM
sorry Jim not my taste i know budget is a big factor in any install but i dont like the stone it would look better in pavers but then again that could blow the buget, it just needs more plants. dont listen to kootoomootoo, if thats all you could do to stay in buget it looks descent

JimLewis
03-01-2004, 01:24 AM
9X daylillies @$3.00ea, BLAH BLAH BLAH...,

There ARE 9 Day Lillies in that picture Idiota! It's just that it's WINTER here on this side of the planet! Currently, daylillies in the Washington area look like tiny little tuffs of grass. You can barely see them in the picture but there are 9 of them. And they'll be 2' x 2' this summer.

Probably half of the plants in that picture are perennials and ornamentals that will double in size by summer.

As for Spirea, the 5 Nandina 'firepower' are a much nicer choice and will not get overgrown like the spirea do.

The 2" Cal. Crabaple would have gotten way too big for their yard. They already have a nice big 3" Weeping willow in their lawn just outside that picture. They didn't want another med.- large tree. They wanted a showcase tree. And the serpentine Wpg. Blue Atlas Cedar (close-up of same kind of tree below) was exactly what they wanted.

You know, it's real easy for you to sit there thousands of miles away drinking you're beer and criticize my work. But you have no clue what went on in this job, what the homeowner wanted, costs of our plant materials, what our budget restrictions were, what kind of soil we had to work with, what is or isn't blooming and leafing out this time of year, and most importantly - how great this is going to look in 4 months.

pjslawncare/landscap
03-01-2004, 01:29 PM
kootoomootoo, put your money where your big mouth is. Weve' heard your critisism, now lets see some of your professional work

kootoomootoo
03-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Forgive me it looks awesome.

kootoomootoo
03-01-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by pjslawncare/landscap
kootoomootoo, put your money where your big mouth is. Weve' heard your critisism, now lets see some of your professional work

Wife just had a look and said the same. Want to see her work too? I understand the budget deal but if you want love call your mom.

ps. Do a search, I have pics on here.