PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is Spring Clean up?

JB1LNDSCPR
02-23-2004, 07:28 PM
I have never done a spring clean up and one of my customers wants a price for one. What exactly does a spring clean-up consist of? I know it is probably rakeing up any left over leafs but what else? I would appreciate you help.

Green Care
02-23-2004, 07:43 PM
A cleanup is whatever has to be done at that time.

Just let them know,also give them the right price.
You are doing more than raking.

bobbygedd
02-23-2004, 08:00 PM
ahhhh, use caution on this one. i got into many, many arguments with customers over this terminology "spring cleanup". where do i start...ok, one time, this lady asks for a spring cleanup. so, we blow the beds out, cleanup all branches, twigs, etc, run it over with the mower to give it a nice shine. she says," my friend, this one is not clean". ok, here we go. she said i should take the old pool filter, rusty ladder, and rusty old washing machine with me too. big argument, till i saw a nice pile of copper pipes behind the shed(recycled value, like $200) i said ok, you got it. started loading up the pipes, shes like, no, no, not that. hmmmm, not so dumb afterall. big argument, but i got paid. another time, the lady said i should pick up all the stones that her bratty kids kicked out of the stone beds. there were like a thousand pieces of stone scattered everywhere. make sure yoiu specify and both understand what "spring cleanup" means

capescaper
02-23-2004, 08:01 PM
u mean to tell me you have been in business for 2 years and have $75000 worth of vehicles and u dont know what a spring clean up is

JB1LNDSCPR
02-23-2004, 08:16 PM
You know you always got that hand full of F'n aszholes that gotta come back and say stupid ****. I have been in the plowing & landscaping business for 2 years with my father (who had it for many years before) and he died last November and i was left everything he had plus his life insurance. my father was a very succesful business man and everything he owned was insured if he died it was paid for so that is how i have this equipment and the mowers i bought with some money he left me because thats what he wanted me to do. Now i am just trying to take over his business and i am struggling i know more about Hardscapes then i do lawncare. So to all you people who have helped i am very appreciative and to the people who like to critisize go F Off.

Craftybigdog
02-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Tell them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dkeisala
02-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by JB1LNDSCPR
You know you always got that hand full of F'n aszholes that gotta come back and say stupid ****. I have been in the plowing & landscaping business for 2 years with my father (who had it for many years before) and he died last November and i was left everything he had plus his life insurance. my father was a very succesful business man and everything he owned was insured if he died it was paid for so that is how i have this equipment and the mowers i bought with some money he left me because thats what he wanted me to do. Now i am just trying to take over his business and i am struggling i know more about Hardscapes then i do lawncare. So to all you people who have helped i am very appreciative and to the people who like to critisize go F Off. OUCH CAPESCAPER!!! OMG - my jaw dropped reading this. That will teach me to open my mouth before I know all the facts.

A spring clean-up is merely tidying up the place. Can be as simple as cleaning out flower beds and blowing things off or can be more complex and include pruning, mowing and bark mulch installation. Think of it as getting rid of the debris left there over the winter months and kinda sprucing the place up. A good place to start is to simply ask the client what their idea of a spring clean-up is, they will usually let you know. It's that simple!

JB1LNDSCPR
02-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Thank You Dkeisala i realize that i should ask them what they want but i had one lady ask "well what do you usually do at other places and i don't want to sound none professional" you know what i mean. Thanks though everyone's different ways help me.

PaulJ
02-24-2004, 01:12 AM
"Spring and Fall Cleanup:
*Spring cleanup includes: blowing or raking leaves from landscape beds, trimming back any plants that require it at that time, cleaning leaves and debris from window wells and any corners where they have collected over the winter, picking up any sticks or debris from the lawn, finished with standard mowing and bagging.
*Fall cleanup includes: cleaning gutters and downspouts if requested and if accessible, blowing or raking leaves from landscape beds, trimming back any plants that require it at that time, cleaning leaves and debris from window wells and any corners where they have collected, finished with standard mowing and bagging.
*Cleanups are priced at the standard hourly rate of $40/hr for the additional time involved above the time of an average mowing. This is usually 1.5-3 times the regular mowing price.
*Dethatching can be added at the time of spring or fall cleanup at a reduced cost."

This is part of what I have on the back of my mowing agreement.
If they want more, I can do that to but they will pay more then.

troblandscape
02-24-2004, 01:34 AM
Spring Cleanup for me is... We use a walk behind blower with one guy pushing it, and one guy raking the turf in front of the blower shoot, and cleaning out the beds of course. I have found that this leaves the property spotless, but is expensive!

bastalker
02-24-2004, 03:52 AM
Seeing your in NY, the cleanups would be similar, Usually branches, sticks, acorns, trash, bed cleanouts, whatever leaves are in the yard. Give it a cut

If they want old pool filters, rusty ladders, an washing machines taken away as well I would give bobby a call, hes pretty close...Stash the copper pipes before he gets there though!!!;) :D

JimLewis
02-24-2004, 04:10 AM
All good answers so far. Like most people said, a spring clean-up is just whatever needs done to get the yard in shape and everything looking neat again. Often, over the winter months, nobody does anything to the landscape. So beds are messy, weeds have grown, plants may need pruning, etc.

Bottom line though; the definition of a spring clean-up is up to the customer! Find out what THEY expect out of the spring clean-up.

Every single time I get a call for a spring clean-up I either ask specifically what they want done or I say something like this, "Ok. So you need a spring clean-up. To me, that typically means a good mow and edge, some spring fertilizer, weeding flowerbeds, pruning as needed, and cleaning up flowerbeds of leaves and branches. Is that what you're looking for?"

Sometimes they answer back with, "Yes. That's it!!!" Other times, they answer back with, "Well...I don't need anything quite that thorough. I just want the leaves raked up and the lawn mowed. That's really all." Still other times they say, "Yah, all that plus ______".

So it's just best to clarify with the customer. No matter what any of us here on Lawnsite say a "spring clean-up" is - it really doesn't matter. It's what your customer thinks is a spring clean-up that matters. Make it your business to find out.

GreenMonster
02-24-2004, 06:44 AM
JB1,

In the Northeast, spring clean-up can also entail removal of winter sand from lawn areas.

Especially on commercial accounts, it is not uncommon for snow to be plowed onto lawn areas. That usually means sand that was laid down the previous storm ends up on the grass -- especially if someone else has the plow account!:mad:

rogerslawn
02-24-2004, 07:55 AM
Alot of good answers!

Clark Landscaping
02-24-2004, 09:54 AM
I am upfront with the customer about what I will do, I never bill by the hour since I find that becomes a trust issue and also it is easier to sell the service if the customer knows exactly how much it will cost. I fix all plow damage, use rotary broom on weed wacker to blow all sand off lawn, trim all bushes that need it and blow out beds. I have a JRCO tine aerotor on the 52" toro with a Trac Vac mounted on the back. So after I have fixed the lawn and blown the beds onto the lawn I aerate/vacuum the lawn and it looks great. Last I spread bark mulch if agreed upon. I also always try to sell some lime or fertilizer but that is an extra, not included in my normal spring cleanup The good thing about spring clean ups is two things it lets you reconnect with your exisitng customers and it often leads to lawn maintenance for new customers, I find a lot of customers are trying me out to see if they want to let me mow.
The bad thing about spring cleanups is that in my opionion you need specialized equipment to make it easy enough to pay. Rotary broom, trac vac, dethatcher really really make the difference for me. This year I will also have a bark blower to spread the mulch. Should be able to do a spring clean up and mulch a day which will really impress the customer.

Bond's Lawn Keepers
02-24-2004, 10:41 AM
Sorry to hear about your dad, my prayers are with you.
The first time I done a spring cleanup, the man took me real good.
From then, i realize there are people out there to get everthing for nothing.
We start with a spring cleanup now. I will give them a proposal with everthing i do in a spring clean up on this paper. We tell them we will clean out flower beds, (i hate to do) LOL. trimmed what hedges they want done, bag, (i don't rake), weed eat around everthing, edge, pick up what they want done. Then I tell them to look at this proposal and add anything they want to do extra. When they have done that, then i will tell them a price. If they like the price I will get them to sign the proposal then you have this to go back to.. This works for me evertime, Put it in writing,,,,If you would like to see one of these proposal let me know. I will email you a copy.

Four Season's
02-24-2004, 12:11 PM
JB1LNDSCPR,

I don't know about New York, but up here in Maine one of the biggest parts of spring clean-up is sweeping/raking the sand off the edge of the lawn and sweeping the edge of the street where there are heavy sand deposits (from the winter sanding)

I've beeing using an echo power broom for this task, lot easier than sweeping by hand.

Another helpful tool is a dethatcher (either pull behind or one that mounts on front of the machine). Saves a lot of hand raking.

turf9
02-24-2004, 12:36 PM
All this + make a nice sharp edge on the beds with the dirt pulled back. Customers love that, I'm my experience anyway.

capescaper
02-25-2004, 06:25 PM
maybe you should have used that money for a education instead of buying mowers so you could learn to spell i really am sorry about your father

GreenMonster
02-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by capescaper
maybe you should have used that money for a education instead of buying mowers so you could learn to spell i really am sorry about your father

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

1. "a education"
2. lack of puncuation
3. non-capitalization of "i"

You're kidding this guy about HIS spelling, right? I hope you don't butcher your lawns like you do the English language.

kootoomootoo
02-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Lof of people up north figure spring clean up includes edging of beds. Some figure it also includes mulch. That $300 - $500 clean up soon turns into $5000 real quick when you add in 500 ft of deep edging and 60 yds of mulch.

bobbygedd
02-25-2004, 07:36 PM
ummm, green monster........that's PUNCTUATION(with two t's). but, what do i know, i couldn't see the blackboard, the bong was in my way

ej Landscaping
02-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Bond's Lawn, could you send me that proposal

ej_landscaping@earthlink.net

thanks

GreenMonster
02-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
ummm, green monster........that's PUNCTUATION(with two t's). but, what do i know, i couldn't see the blackboard, the bong was in my way

You're right Bobby. Ya know, I've had enough of this! It's time for somebody to put a stop to all this craziness! I think I'll start a spell check thread! :p

JB1LNDSCPR
02-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Capescaper,

You are just a piece of ****. You should learn to keep your mouth shut. This forum isn't for people to bash eachother it is to give people help. If you don't have any help to give me then stay the **** out of this forum. Thanks!!

And to everyone else....Thank You for all your help. I got what I asked for and a little more but we won't go there. Thanks again!!

JB1

capescaper
02-26-2004, 06:23 PM
how many times did u read that to make sure it was perfect greenmonster

dishboy
02-26-2004, 08:19 PM
I don't spell very well either. Is it m-o-r-o-n ?