PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Spring Flowers

JB1LNDSCPR
02-23-2004, 09:56 PM
What are your guys favorite flowers that you use in the spring to get peoples attention?

Hamons
02-23-2004, 10:28 PM
I sell a lot of landscaping jobs from people seeing my clients with gorgeous tulip beds -- but those would have needed to be planted last Fall.

Impatiens can have a big impact -- but not until later in the summer.

Pansies can go in the ground very early -- but only my riches clients are willing to pay my price to put pansies in knowing they will burn out in about 6 - 8 weeks.

JB1LNDSCPR
02-23-2004, 10:46 PM
I agree with you on the tulips my only problem is my commercial customers is where i wanted to use them and i don't want to put them in around the fall time and then get out bid by someone. That would make there work look good. before i do that i will have to get myself set in for more than 2 years.

I use impatients too they look good enough for not seeing any color for 5 months during winter

Coffeecraver
02-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Plant pansies in October they sometimes look a little rough in the winter ,but come back strong in the spring.
I like Yellow Pansies underplanted with red tulips

Rtom45
02-24-2004, 07:05 AM
Daffodils are always a great choice, also crocus.

PLI1
02-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Spring, Red and Yellow Tulips planted together
Summer, Sun Wave series petunias
Shade Impatiens
Fall Chrysantemums and Kale

D Felix
02-24-2004, 05:15 PM
Sheesh, you guys, haven't you ever taken an art class???

Red with yellow? C'mon say it ain't so!

I guess my spouse is showing through here (she's an art teacher), but learn how to use complimentary colors! Red and green are complimentary, as are yellow and purple, blue and orange, etc.

Complimentary colors will ALWAYS give the best show, if you can pull it off. Get a color wheel, and get to it!:D

Dan

HazellLawnCare
02-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Ok guys I'm just a grass chaser but the wife has been wanting me to put in a tulip bed for some time now. I would do it in a heart beat but what else do you put in a tulip bed? I mean what else do you use to have all year color?

Coffeecraver
02-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by D Felix

I guess my spouse is showing through here (she's an art teacher), but learn how to use complimentary colors! Red and green are complimentary, as are yellow and purple, blue and orange, etc.

Complimentary colors will ALWAYS give the best show, if you can pull it off. Get a color wheel, and get to it!:D

Dan

Is your color wheel working?

I didn't see your plant selections for red and green in the spring?

:)

Grassmechanic
02-24-2004, 10:28 PM
Tulips, daffs, crocus, snowdrops, hyacinths,scilla,pushkinia

D Felix
02-25-2004, 12:35 AM
I didn't see your plant selections for red and green in the spring?
Ahhh, but you see, I don't need to tell you what I use, I gave you the criteria for it already!:)

Sheeesh!!!:D:D

Dan

Grassmechanic
02-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by D Felix

Dan Dan - contrary to Art class, contrasting colors are commonly used in the landscape. Reds bring out yellows, and vice versa. This goes with all colors. I don't use color to compliment, I use is to contrast and make the other colors stand out.

Hamons
02-25-2004, 09:24 AM
Similar in advertising. Often contrast or colors opposit on the color wheel are what companies shoot for -- ala Mc Donalds Red and Yellow, Pepsi Blue and Red, etx.

Contrasting is dramatic -- often what I look for in a seasona; color display.