PDA

View Full Version : ballpark fees for applying a pgr?

GarPA
02-24-2004, 01:24 PM
I'm considering having a coupple of difficult properties treated with a pgr this spring. Likley going to have one of the fert companies we sub work to, do the application. I have never used it and dont have any desire to mess with it. In fact I dont like doing much chemical work of any kind

would you be willing to share a "ballpark" rate per k that you see in your area ? I have no idea what a reasonable fee should be.
If possible, I;d like them to use Primo based on the little bit of research I've done....your input is much appreciated

heritage
02-24-2004, 02:27 PM
GarPA,
Primo is great stuff! You should expect to pay Around $6.75 per 1000ft2 on lawns over 40,000ft2 And Around $8.00 per 1000ft2 on lawns between 10,000 and 40,000ft2. Lawns under 10,000ft2 will cost around $12.00 pet 1000ft2.
I have found the best timing to apply is one week before grass really takes off. Where I am that would be around Mid May so I apply the 1st week in may. Have your applicator know that you want 1 oz. of primo per 1000ft2, this is key.
The primo will make the grass slow after one week and life will be great for the next 4-5 weeks.... I apply the primo about 6 weeks before the hot weather comes which is near the end of june,so by the time the coiled effect of the grass releases it will be too warm for cool season turf to go nuts. This has helped me on sunny wet KBG lawns in clay soil.

Pete D.

GarPA
02-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Pete....thanks for the great info and the tips. What a great resource we have here on LS...never ceases to amaze me

Actually the rates you quoted were lower than I thought they wouldbe...but then again like I said I know nada about this stuff

appreciate the info

kootoomootoo
02-25-2004, 09:15 PM
I sold it to a few at $300 - $400 per acre.

tremor
02-27-2004, 12:30 AM
I don't care to comment on the prices applicators charge. But at the several pro athletic facilities I work with here in metro NY we've used Primo from .33-.5 oz/M with great result. Get the canopy solid first. 2-4 mowing with clippings.

80,000 sq - 100 gals water - 35 oz Primo - 2.5 gallons Chelated Iron+ & Touche Flo @ 2 oz = 160 oz.

The turf will love it & so will you. But don't wait too long. Apply as soon as the canopy is full & don't spray it on diseased turf. Be clean first.

7-10 days & you're loving it for 4-5 weeks.

Steve

CSRA Landscaping
02-27-2004, 12:35 AM
Steve, what's the Touche Flo?

DUSTYCEDAR
02-27-2004, 12:44 AM
great info thanks :)

tremor
02-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Fungicide. Vinclozolin. Longest residual contact fungicie there is. Up to 4 weeks. Low rate too. 1-2 oz/M.

http://www.lesco.com/default.aspx?PageID=28&Keywords=touche

No longer labeled for residential turf. But the best I've ever had the pleasure to use or recommend. Golf, Ball Fields, & commerical sites are all still OK. Crazy Clinton/Gore era EPA fiasco victim.

The last thing you ever want to do is stall the growth of turf while or just prior to the onslought of a disease like Dollar Spot or Red Thread. Just try regrowing the canopy while you're turf is miniaturized by Primo! LOL

Like I said before. Start with clean turf early. This will keep it clean & more than pay for itself in reduced mowing labor. And the turf quality actually increases since the effect on the playing suface is that of increased mowing frequency. So the turf is tighter.

The iron just makes it greener. There was a time we'd add Iron to mask the injury so often caused by the early Plant Growth Regulators. But modern PGRs like Cutless & Primo don't cause foliar damage when used as directed on stress free turf.

Steve

CSRA Landscaping
02-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Awesome! I appreciate the info, Steve.

MacLawnCo
02-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Thank you Steve, so good to learn from you again.