PDA

View Full Version : Estimate mistake

longslawn
02-25-2004, 07:51 AM
I recently gave a verbal quote on a sod job and in figuring the price I added the freight and some material twice. It came out to a $300 mistake. I called and told the homeowner I had made the mistake and told him the price was $300 less that the previous estimate.
How do you handle something like this? I hated to call and tell him I had made a mistake in the quote but felt that I should.

zedosix
02-25-2004, 08:34 AM
Years ago I made a simple mathematical error in some calcutions on an interlock walkway. When I noticed my error I returned to his place and told him it would be cheaper than originally quoted and explained to him it was my mistake. I didn't get the job but more than likely someone else with the correct #'s did. Thats life, we all make those little mistakes. We are only human.
lI think we all do that at one time or another. Honesty is the best policy. You did the right thing.

Lombardi
02-25-2004, 10:52 AM
I always over estimate some on my bids to allow for variances. I then inform the customer that if I do not use all of the material as quoted the balance due will be less. You did the right thing by telling the customer. There are so many in this business that would not have done that and just kept the extra money.

kootoomootoo
02-29-2004, 10:09 AM
This "doing the right thing" and "i'll do this job cheap because its a new neighborhood and I'll get more work" are getting real old.
Customer's are far from honest with you. They'll tell you any made up quoted price from another guy to have you guys lowball.

zedosix
02-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Its contractors like you that scare people off. "I made a mistake but lets see if I can get away with it". All the guy is saying is he made a mistake and feels he needs to tell the client this. Its got nothing to do with lowballing anyone.

kootoomootoo
02-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Its contractors who cant do an estimate properly that scare people off.

Zach76
02-29-2004, 03:29 PM
I think you did the right thing. Not everyone can be mistake free through their entire career. I got a job last year because I was honest with the customer even though I had the highest bid (after the correction). payup

longslawn
02-29-2004, 05:05 PM
kootoomootoo,
It was an honest mistake. I'm good, but not perfect. Maybe you are, but I seriously doubt that.
Weather I get the job or not doesn't matter at this point. If you this long enough your bound to make a mistake. I just thougt it better to let the customer know.

kootoomootoo
02-29-2004, 09:56 PM
No chance I am ringing them back. They have the price. Anyways who's prices are you competing with. If you sold yourself on quality the price would be irrrelevant.

longslawn
02-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Don't know and don't care who I'm competing with on this or any job. I don't price jobs on who else is bidding.
Thanks for your input but I don't agree.

kootoomootoo
02-29-2004, 11:31 PM
If you dont care why did you change your price!!!!!!!!!!!

longslawn
03-01-2004, 07:06 AM
Because I made a mistake on the quote.

Jackman
03-01-2004, 08:39 AM
I am not sure whats right in that situation because you may have had the job before you corrected yourself but once you admit your mistake even if it benifits the customer they may think your unprofessional and no longer consider you for the job ,but on the flip side your consicious is clear and that is more important than the job to most of us anyway..