PDA

View Full Version : Starting a biz in a depressed area

billc
02-25-2004, 12:26 PM
I am considering starting a lawn mowing biz in Rochester, NY. Rochester is home to Kodak, which is continuing to layoff people. This means that the unemployment rate is going up, people are (probably) cutting back on lawn care service and, maybe, former Kodakians are starting their own lawn businesses.

What do you think about starting a biz in this environment?

How have you found that an economic downturn affects your existing customer and getting new customers?

Any other thoughts are welcomed!!

jajwrigh
02-25-2004, 12:43 PM
I experienced a similar situation last year. Several of my customers got laid off from United and I lost all of those accounts. When you don't have a job the first thing you are going to do is cut out any unneeded expenses. I would be real cautious if I were in your shoes.

chevyman1
02-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Rochester, New York in an economic downturn? Hardly. Of course Kodak and Xerox have had their problems, but Rochester is one of the richest, best cross cut of HH incomes on the country. They are doing so well they are one of the cities ESPN lists as the next Pro Sports town. They are the new "tech" town when people compare areas like Denver, Dallas, etc. Trust me, if anything, you should do better than normal out there. Albany and Rochester are 2 of the best places to be in the country for 2004.