PDA

View Full Version : customer not paying

bobcatnj
02-25-2004, 03:30 PM
i have 2 customers from last year and there not paying there balance. the total between the 2 is 1600.00 i keep sending notes on there bill, charged interest, and made phone calls to them. what do i do now. make a claim to small claims court??what can i do????

vadeere
02-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Show up on there doorstep with their bills, preably an imcovienent time when you know that they will be home.

vadeere
02-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Show up on there doorstep with their bills, preferably an imcovienent time when you know that they will be home.

ipm
02-26-2004, 10:49 AM
You say last year. Do you mean 12 months or 5,4,3??

Do you have a signed agreement????????????????? You probably don't and that is why they are not paying.

Answer that and I will continue.

ElephantNest
02-26-2004, 11:56 AM
http://www.legalzoom.com/index.html

Free YOU OWE ME MONEY BIZNITCH! forms.

Tennessee2004
02-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Just me but I always get a contract notarized. This way I can collect If I need to from deadbeats. In my area we have a "deadbeat" alert and basically it works as this: We advise the other firms of this person and they get their money upfront or they hire the 14 year old kid down the street to mow the lawn.Shocking to me and others here is the deadbeats are the ones with the most money and nice properties!

Tom

codywyomingus
02-29-2004, 09:04 PM
place a lein on there property at the county court house, see how fast they apy!

bobcatnj
02-29-2004, 11:48 PM
yes i have a signed contract from last year with them. they paid in the beginning of the year but the last 3 months they didnt pay.

ipm
03-01-2004, 09:34 AM
civil suit. Go to the court house and ask where to file a civil suit. You can file a lean but if they are not moving any time soon you will never see the $.

You might want to send a registered (demand letter) 1st before you file suit. This will simply let them know that you mean business. Give them so many days to respond, or pay. If they do not respond then file your suit.

Do you have other properties around the non paying customers?

ollie212@tds.net
03-01-2004, 10:29 AM
In most states i fu are filing a mechinical lein on the property u must in writing give a 30 day notice u will be filing . others wise lein does no good .. you could try a collection agency, but if this customer is a deadbeat collection wont bother them.. small claims is a grat way to collect money ..u need no lawyer.. just go to your local court house small claims dept. and file it will cost you money depending on the amount you are suing for. i think usually its like 10% of the total and a filing fee usually 25.00 and then u have to have them served and thats done by the sheriffs dept the fee there is around 30.00.. you can sue for all your court cost so dont forget to include tha in you total.. you will need to know where they work so they can be served there.. police like that better than a home address becasue they know the are at work , but no when home .. if u dont have a work address then use home.. i followed a customer to work one morning because she would never answer her door when she saw sheriffs at her home.. that way i got her work address.. after you get a judgement court that does not gurantee you they will pay the courts only enter a judgement you still have to collect the money... If that happends your customer still does not pay then you have to take her place of work to court to have her wages garnished .. and trudt me they wont like that ... but they must appera in court and provide financial records on the employee and then the judge will order garnishment of wages and the money comes directly out of his or her check.. good luck from someone who had to go through what you are.

thelawnkid
03-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Show up at his house with a baseball bat, that will get him to pay!

Just Kidding

CNE
03-01-2004, 07:59 PM
OK, here is what you do. Go over and ask him one more time, if he doesn't pay, do this. Mix up some of your best Round-up in a big backpack sprayer. (They hold more) Go to the middle of his lawn and turn on the sprayer. Write in large letters "I owe (the name of your company) XX.XX amount of money and I am too cheap to pay them" Then bill his ass for the Round-up too. If he takes you to court, your bill plus interest should more than outway his damages and you're even. Then, the new guy he calls to screw this year, will be for-warned when he sees the yard. Just my opinion

fullburn
03-02-2004, 12:25 AM
I have run into this before, learn from mistakes, never let them get that far out. bill monthly, they pay you continue, better to lose a little than alot.I now try to get seasonal contracts with payment up front,it" a no loose.

mtdman
03-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Go to the commercial forum, do a search. There are tons of threads about this subject. They are straggling because they know they can get away with it without repercussions. Do you live in a northern clime where you don't do winter work? If so, they probably figure there's nothing you can do. Work is already over, they got their value and now they are going to screw you. You need to go in person, make it clear you will take them to court and file a lien on their property if they don't pay.

jester
03-02-2004, 10:06 PM
send him a certified letter then get out the eraser. he wont have a lawn for 2 years. wait a year so he doesnt know for sure it was you. i have waited 2 years for the guy who screwed me out of 2grand.

jeff_0
03-04-2004, 02:37 AM
i filled court papers in civil court.. that's the best thing to do.. i still have a hoa that owe me $60... tomorrow i'll call them and let them know they have one week left or i'll file them in court...

charlies
03-06-2004, 11:15 AM
set yourself up a 30-60-90 day system. 30 day is a pleasant reminder. 60 day is statement of account w/ note that you haven't had a response from the 30 day notice. 90 day certified letter mentioning small claims court if you don't recieve payment by a date 30 days in the future.

i haven't had to go beyond the 90 day letter yet, the certified letter usually scares them into paying. but this dog has teeth! i look forward to the day when i can file in small claims and see how that process works.

GrassFearsMe
03-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Give them hell.

Emerald Cut Lawns
03-07-2004, 01:01 AM
This is what I have to look forward too???LOL

codywyomingus
03-07-2004, 11:04 AM
I don't bill anyone right off. I tell them they must leave a check for me when I arrive, or be home to pay me! If they balk at that I tell them to leave me a signed note with date stateing they give me permission to cut the grass, & will be mailing me a check for $$$$. I call them the night before I go to do the lawn so they put the check out & eliminate billing, stamps & the trouble of collecting after the fact!! 9 years & not any non payments, & no 1 has complained.

GRT
03-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the money owed from? Mowings, or landscaping services...

If it was mowing, you needed to cut them off after 90 days on non-payment.

Geoff

jeff_0
03-12-2004, 02:42 AM
ROUND UP!!!!! I have to go to court april 5 for someone not paying me $250... i can see if i was microsft and you owe them money but why do it to someone that comes to your house.. I'm sure some people have do crazy stuff to there cust that havn't paid...

alpine692003
03-13-2004, 03:12 PM
I bill for the 1st of the month, if they dont pay within that 10 days, I stop my service immediately.