PDA

View Full Version : Goose Repellent

Scraper
02-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Anyone ever get into this? I just had a residential account call saying their neighbor had their lawn service apply a goose repellent to their lawn and the company left my client a quote of $100. My account's property is ~ an acre. As I figured this would be considered a pesticide application due to a product that Lesco carries (Flight Control Plus active ingredient 9,10 anthraquinone) has an EPA Registration #, I decided to call Dept. of Ag to see their view. Indeed they surmised that it would be covered under category 15 (invertabrates). I am not licensed in this category nor do I have the interest to become a pest control service (i.e. squirrels, skunks, etc.) so I will not be making the application. I will also bet my bottom dollar that the service who made the application on the neighbors property isn't certified in that category either, but I won't assume. However, if the demand appears to rise, why not get certified? Anybody do these type applications? If so, what have you found to be a good product? Good profitability?

Thanks

sodzilla
02-25-2004, 03:55 PM
I know in my area geese are a big problem. I never really gave it any though, but it might be worth it. Around here the golf courses and parks are alway complaining about them. I've heard of someplaces saying the only thing that really works are dogs. I remember hearing about a golf course that got bought Border Collies that chase them away.

MudslinginFX4
02-25-2004, 04:14 PM
Here is a link from a thread not too old. Hope this helps. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60110&highlight=geese

Scraper
02-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by ECM LAWN
Here is a link from a thread not too old. Hope this helps. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60110&highlight=geese

Thanks, but not really...I did see people from NJ who probably aren't licensed to apply invertebrate controls though.

In all actuality I believe I'll let someone else handle the geese. I actually advised my client to wait a few weeks as the migrations have really just started in our area. I have a feeling it will not be an issue come mulching time.

SWD
02-25-2004, 05:17 PM
In my experience on vertabrate pest control, specifically Canadian Geese, the only true repellent is a dog.
I built, then grew in a golf course in NE PA about 5 years ago and ran into a problem with Geese.
How I solved it was purchasing a female pointing black lab, trained her on commands, then used her (as a full deduction I might add :) ) to chase the geese away.
Once you prevent the geese from nesting, your problem is solved.
I have tried all manner of repellents, from audible devices, physical barriers, changing the turf type and height, and spraying repellents. What worked best was the dog.