PDA

View Full Version : Impressed by the Billygoat 33"

Lawn Dog2001
02-25-2004, 05:30 PM
I just got back from the lawn and turf show here in Western PA. I got a good chance to check out the Billy Goat 33" that people have been talking about.

I must say I was very impressed with this mower. When I first saw the pictures of this mower I thought it was another TroyBilt 33". Not the case at all. There is nothing on this mower that is not commercial grade. The deck is as heavy duty as any other commercial grade unit. Handles are a little thin but they are reinforced with solid steel rods. Also heavy duty drive, and deck belts. It really looks like a good machine.

I could not get over how compact this thing is. It would be perfect for any tight fenced in areas, or even small front lawns where you might use a 21".

It is hard to say without cutting with it, but I think it would hold up favorably against any other commercial 32". At only about $1500 this mower looks to be a bargin. Although I dont understand why they would put a Briggs engine on such a well thought out machine.

ZaK18
02-25-2004, 05:53 PM
I agree the mower looks solid but I'm not sure it would deliever the same quality cut as the 1 or 2 blade mowers, has anyone used one???

jajwrigh
02-25-2004, 05:54 PM
That info about their engine selection sounds like a potential weak link....That may explain part of the lower price as well.

brucec32
02-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Can't have everything at that price.

Lawn Dogg, please explain more about this mower, how it steers (via manhandling?), height adjusting, weight, etc. As a replacement for the usual 21" trim type mower, it could be useful.

Lawn Dog2001
02-25-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by brucec32
Can't have everything at that price.

Lawn Dogg, please explain more about this mower, how it steers (via manhandling?), height adjusting, weight, etc. As a replacement for the usual 21" trim type mower, it could be useful.

Well on the left handle there is an operator presence control pedal that you hold down while the blade is engaged, when you release it, blade disengages. Typical.

On the right handle is a brake and drive pedal. The drive pedal is only on one side, so when you want to spin, you turn the machine manually. But the machine is not heavy, especially when in motion, so this shouldnt be that big of a deal.

The brake is the opposite of most WBs. The brake is in park when released, and you release the brake by squeezing the pedal.

Height adjustment is done with washers on the canasters, same as most fixed deck WBs. Weight of the unit is only 217lbs!! Which is why I dont think turning manually will be a beast.

I am not currently in the market for this small of a machine, but I may consider doing away with 21"s altogether if this machine proves itself to be the real deal.

gogetter
02-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Lawn Dog2001
Weight of the unit is only 217lbs

And 282lbs for electric start model.

Fareway Lawncare
02-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Take a look at the deck...remind you of anything? Sutech Stealth.

How well do you think grass is going to pass from 3rd to 1st chamber & through the discharge in lush turf. From what I understand the BTS is higher than the Sutech but discharge capability could still be a problem

brucec32
02-26-2004, 01:59 AM
You tell us, Fareway. Is that blade setup a known problem or are you just guessing? I would actually be mulching anyway, and the problem in that case would be the lack of seperate mulching chambers (I believe it uses a single blockoff plate and mulching blades in the kit)

Perhaps the deck design can handle it at the typical walking pace of maybe 3-4mph max instead of sulky equipped real wb's at 6mph and above, where under-deck grass handling would be a problem.

It's not a real midsize wb, so comparing it to one would be a mistake. But for those small gated areas and use on the few steep berms and slopes I'd come accross, it's interesting. But I still want to hear real user comments on its ability.

germann
02-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Three blade designs clog, clump, and discharge less evenly than two blade machines. You would be amazed how well our 36 in exmark cuts in wet, high grass(with high lift blades). This is because the two blades are in line. The grass flows better. I would say a 36 exmark will go anywhere a 33 billy goat will, and will be more durable and cut better.

brucec32
03-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Interesting. I've owned a few of both 3 and 2 blade machines. I never thought that one was intrinsically better at not clumping than the other. My 3 blade 48" Lazer HP disperses great. My 44" 3 blade toro does too. My 32" 2 blade Exmark type deck Toro does also. A previous Toro 36" 2 blade dispersed well. Another previous 44" SFS type Toro 3 blade wasn't as great. And finally a 37" Toro 2 blade clumped pretty bad in some situations.

I think it's more the actual design rather than number of blades. or power. Or blade design, even.

Lawn Dog2001
03-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by germann
Three blade designs clog, clump, and discharge less evenly than two blade machines. You would be amazed how well our 36 in exmark cuts in wet, high grass(with high lift blades). This is because the two blades are in line. The grass flows better. I would say a 36 exmark will go anywhere a 33 billy goat will, and will be more durable and cut better.

I agree with brucec32. Most machines over 36" are three blade setups. You cant say that all of them clump, or discharge poorly. It all has to do with deck design. Personally I feel my 48"s mulch better than my 36" does.

I really dont understand why BillyGoat found it necessary to use 3 blades equaling 33". To me thats just an extra spindle for a 13hp motor to turn, and an extra blade to sharpen.

Fareway Lawncare
03-01-2004, 07:23 PM
They used 3 blades to make the unit compact.

The 3 blade chambers are tightly baffled w/no tunnel to discharge not unlike the Sutech, which is one of the worst discharging mowers I have ever used. It was OK in normal growth situations.

http://www.billygoat.com/images/fm_tripleblades-s.jpg

FrankenScagMachines
03-01-2004, 07:24 PM
3 spindles keeps the length as short as posible. This is necessary on a manual steered machine... trust me I know.

amw
03-01-2004, 07:52 PM
LOL....

I use to have a Sutech Stealth .... traded a guy the stealth for kitchen cab. and counter tops....oak & marble...lol i think i got the better deal

he still has it and uses it to cut his own lawn & next door (old lady)

he's always stopping to tell me how awsome that mower he got from me is!!!

as for the billygoat, maybe ill see it at the show the 10th & 11th in michigan,but i dont realy need anything that size....but it sounds like something to checkout

wildbilly1113
03-01-2004, 08:29 PM
I talked to Billy Goat Saturday about the 33. He says it is a copy of the stealth but beefed up.He said he mowed with in tall grass and on a hillside and really threw the grass out.I am going to demo one Thursday and will let you'all know how it does.I am currently using 33 in. cub cadet for areas were I can not take the 36 in. metro but the cub is forever breaking down.

wildbilly1113
03-04-2004, 05:11 PM
I demo'd the 33 today.I mowed along a ditch and a flat area.It takes some manhandling but cut real nice with 18500 blade tip speed.Looks like it will easy to work on and is really heavy duty.I bought it for 1595.00 and rep threw in a mulch kit and hat. The mulch blades can be used for mulching and discharge. This mower might fill a niche that this market has needed,a heavy duty wide cut trim mower.Thanks for listening,Bill

DanTheGrassman
03-04-2004, 05:35 PM
I think I have decided i will buy one too in April when our season gets going. I already sold 2 of my 3 push commerical Lanw Boy's in practically mint condition to amke room for "the Goat". The billy goat really caught my eye immediately when I saw it at my dealer for easy of use and commericla grade quaility for considerably less then the Toro's or Exmarks. For the price point of 2675 (CDN) it's an excellant value compared to the exmarks or the toro who want just over a grand more for their 32". Can you tell me the speed and handling of the machine in more detail. How heavy is the unit when not in operation is it easy to maneouver?
If it works out I will add at least 1 more Goat this year and be rid of those damn 21" mowers.

Thanks, Dan.

wildbilly1113
03-05-2004, 01:00 AM
I think Lawndog 2001 said it weighed 217 lb. I don't take delivery until tuesday and I don't have a manual.It moves along as fast as you want walk.Most of weight is in the deck and the spindles are most solid I have seen in this class of mower.Be careful around pedestrians,animals and property with the blade speed on little mower!

joed
03-05-2004, 08:54 PM
The Billy Goat looks like a very promising unit. For those of you that requested information, I got some from a local dealer who is selling them:

Weight: 217 lbs.
Speed: 4.1 mph

I am not sure about the dimensions but was told that it is more compact than a 21" mower.

Hope this helps.

Lawn Dog2001
03-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by wildbilly1113
I demo'd the 33 today.I mowed along a ditch and a flat area.It takes some manhandling but cut real nice with 18500 blade tip speed.Looks like it will easy to work on and is really heavy duty.I bought it for 1595.00 and rep threw in a mulch kit and hat. The mulch blades can be used for mulching and discharge. This mower might fill a niche that this market has needed,a heavy duty wide cut trim mower.Thanks for listening,Bill

Congrats on your purchase. I hope it works out great for you. Please keep us all posted on how it works out for you this year. I have become very anti21" mower in recent years and I might too be interested in using this in place of a 21" in most instances.

proenterprises
03-05-2004, 09:24 PM
hey-can you but the billygoat factory direct via website or dealer only

Fareway Lawncare
03-05-2004, 09:24 PM
Until they make a unit like that w/twin hydro pumps & wheel motors I will stick to 21"'s.

With all the turning & backing up on our smaller props Nothing belt driven over 150lbs is an improvement over a 21".

The good news is that Toro will likely have a 26" Proline avail. by 2005. I recieved a survey from Toro in the mail re: interest & price considerations.

joed
03-06-2004, 08:15 PM
I saw the Billy Goat 33" today at a local dealer. It is well built apart from the handles being a little thin. They are, however, reinforced with steel rods. That should help. What concerned me is the deck. It is very similar if not the same as the Sutech version. In addition, the deck is very compact and short. I am not an expert but I think this might create a problem when discharging and mulching since the clippings may not have an opportunity to circulate and be chopped up before falling back to the turf. We'll have to demo it and see before passing judgement, however.

The tag on the unit, right from Billy Goat, listed the unit's speed at 3.76 mph. That is about the same as the 21 commercial units I believe.

Grass Master
03-07-2004, 03:54 PM
The major problem that I see with the Billy Goat is that the handles are way way too thin and flimsy even with the extra support! In commercial use with manual turning you will go through handles all the time.

Not impressed with the Briggs engine either and I have heard that similar 33" mowers (Sutech) have a problem with discharge etc. due to the 3 blade system.

I found the Bradley commercial mowers at a local dealer and they had a 32" commercial walk beind with steering brakes etc (looks like a crude ExMark) for $1499 bigger gas tank too.....that might be the way to go!!

BuD Dog
03-10-2004, 04:10 PM
I am a homeowner with a little less than an acre to cut (flat). I am considering the 32-33 inch walk behinds. After looking at this forum and visiting Indianapolis area dealers, I am leaning towards the Billy Goat 33 inch or the Bradley 32 inch. I looked at the Sutech Stealth, but I have found more dealers in this area moving to the Billy Goat because Sutech was bought out and dealers are concerned about getting parts in the future. (Their story.)

Does anyone have experience with these models? My observations so far:

Billy Goat seems to have alot of plusses over the Bradley:
USA made
More dealers
Greater blade tip speed (18500 vs 16500)
Ease of controls (Bradley has more controls to deal with and then puts speed selector down low.)
Smaller/lighter

Bradley plusses:
bigger gas tank (prob important if you are running all day)

Unknown:
Gear drive (BG) vs Belt Drive (Bradley), does it make much difference? Is the Billy Goat difficult to manuver manually while in motion?
Discharge - does the 3 blade (BG) or 2 blade (Bradley) setup make much difference? BG has greater blade tip speed and more HP 13 HP vs 10.5 HP

Pricing - Bradley $1449 (10.5 HP Briggs) $1750 (15HP Kohler)
Billy Goat $1599 (13 HP Briggs)

Any feedback would be appreciated. Especially on the Bradley, is it that big of an unknown? At least Billy Goat has been around with brushcutter, vacs, blowers etc...

Fareway Lawncare
03-10-2004, 05:29 PM
after seeing a BG next to a Sutech at my dealers I would be Very Concerned about cut quality in lush turf. The decks looked identical.

BuD Dog
03-10-2004, 05:38 PM
Fareway - what specifically are your concerns about cut quality with the deck?

Fareway Lawncare
03-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Hello Bud, Many Moons ago I had the misfortune of purchasing a Sutech. There was much clumping in anything but ideal conditions & the mower was soon sold.

The BG has a higher BTS but I don't believe that will overcome the shortcomings of the deck design.

ZaK18
03-10-2004, 08:15 PM
I just bought a billy goat 33" last week. It has immediatly taken the place of my 21" prolines. The quality of the cut is as good or better then the prolines and engine has more then enough power. it will cut through tall wet grass without cloging.

There are however a few downsides to this mower!

1. The mower weights 300lbs and is difficult to manuever

2. handles are thin, and you have to hold down the parking brake lever while mowing (extremely anoying)
3. Front wheels are too far from the mower and make it hard to get in real tight spaces.

over all it's a great mower and I prefer using it over the prolines, it cuts mowing time in half. The mower is commercial quality in every aspect and is defentely worth considering!:D

BuD Dog
03-11-2004, 12:53 AM
Thanks for your feedback. Good to hear from the men that do it everyday.

brucec32
03-13-2004, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Until they make a unit like that w/twin hydro pumps & wheel motors I will stick to 21"'s.

With all the turning & backing up on our smaller props Nothing belt driven over 150lbs is an improvement over a 21".

The good news is that Toro will likely have a 26" Proline avail. by 2005. I recieved a survey from Toro in the mail re: interest & price considerations.

oooh anymore details available on what that will be?

brucec32
03-13-2004, 03:27 AM
Bud dog, I believe you would be happier on a flat lot of around that size with a fixed deck midsize commercial walk behind that can tow a stand on sulky if you want and will last forever. The 32" start around $2000 for the big brands and a little more for 36". Plenty of nice used models around if price is a factor. Nearly new models on ebay quite often. Nearly newmeans it's easier for you to tell if it's been abused. The Billygoat has some use for even commercial cutters, but it's a niche' product. I was attracted by the short lenght, so I could squeeze it on a trailer where I couldn't my full size 32" toro. But otherwise, get a real commercial mower

greendave
05-25-2004, 05:40 PM
Giving this thread a bump to see how you guys are doing with your BG's. I have aquired a property that has a steep hill along the entire length by the road - 125 yards long, 15 feet high. There are not too many other properties I do that have such a hill, but the size of the BG at the price makes it seem like a cost effective answer to MY needs on some other properties, as well as this, IF it performs well on hills. How well do these things do on steep hills?

stumpking
05-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Got a Sutech here, same type of drive on both as far as I know.

I can tell you it is a real wrestling match accross slopes. I like my mower for homeowner use just fine, but for sloped property I couldn't recommend it. Get a hydro for the slopes or at least a mower you can control drive wheel speeds independently.

I like my mower so far, but it is no comparison to a true commercial WB for hills/slopes and with regard to the power of discharge. Much better than consumer 21's, much much faster to get the job done with, but it's a heavy consumer mower more than it is a true commercial mower.

Also with the Briggs IC motor mine has, the lubrication is no small issue if you are doing slopes, it's another reason not to use it on slopes.

aVOLanche
06-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Surprised that nobody mentioned the Quick36....For $1995 delivered with electric start.And it is a hydro(but not dual).Looks like a very similar concept to the Billy Goat,and the hydro allows you to back up.Looks to me to be heavier duty than the BG.Ground speed is listed at 5 mph,but I'm not sure.Anyone used both?