PDA

View Full Version : Walker Mowers???

kory landscaping
02-25-2004, 04:36 PM
Help, Buying a walker mower in march, they have a model c 16 hp engine and they have a model d 20.9hp engine which is water cooled. would it be better to buy the water cooled engine or not?.
Anyone have used walkers before please advise any problems. I read in the forum when the grass gets wet they clog. Any other problems.. Thank you

Wayne
Kory Landscaping

lawnchopper
02-25-2004, 05:22 PM
my company is considering Walkers and based off the people on this site and the little I operated the demo we have they are great for bagging and doing cleanups but as far as a production mower to be able to cut lots of grass in a day there too slow

cgland
02-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Wayne,

We also are buying a Walker in March. I'm going for the 26hp EFI. Like you said, they tend to clog when the grass gets wet, so you need all the hp you can muster to get those blades spinnin'
A trick someone taught me a couple of years ago is to spray the bottom of your deck with a lubricant like WD40 and the grass tends not to stick as much and is easier to clean out....hence I will try to spray the blower chute on the Walker, maybe the same principles will apply........I Hope!

Chris

LB Landscaping
02-25-2004, 05:40 PM
Go with at least a 20 HP you won't regret it.

GrassFearsMe
02-25-2004, 05:48 PM
I have run both engine types, the 16 and the diesel, and i thought the diesel worked amazing. They tend to be slow during the spring because the grass is usually tall and wet, but if you take your time you can use them. The machine definetly cuts time in the summer and the fall, you need to want to catch everything though.

ECLC
02-25-2004, 05:48 PM
I have the 20hp Kol., never had any problems. I would definately reccomend one. Go with the 20hp or more. I have never needed more power. Just a personal matter. When the grass is wet just slow down and you will get the same great results.

On hillsides make your turns backing up. The mower can backup any hill, but it can not go forward up a steep hill. A couple of days and you will love the machine. Wait until you see the amount of time you save from not having to go around and pick up trash.

Hope everything goes well.:blob3: :blob4:

Norm Al
02-25-2004, 05:52 PM
if you will go out and get a nice boat with about 25 ffet of chain,,,,,,that walker will make a nice boat anchor!:)

kory landscaping
02-25-2004, 06:24 PM
thanks everyone, you've been a big help.. it's great coming to the forum and getting professional advice. Hope verybody has a great money making year and always think safety...

thanks again
wayne
kory landscaping

gardenpro
02-27-2004, 10:58 PM
I did a lot of research on the Walker before getting the 20hp. A higher hp WILL NOT suck wet grass better. The grass can go through the fan only so fast, they all have the same impeller/fan.
I live in the mountains on the westcoast, we get plenty of rain/dew and cool nights so the grass grows superfast.
Definately get the optional larger screen for inside the hopper. I have tried both and it's significantly better.
Also the 26hp is overpriced for most applications.

Royalslover
02-28-2004, 12:55 AM
I say this on every walker thread. the Walker is the best mower out there for bagging and the worst mower if you're not bagging.
It has to be awfully wet and thick to clog the walker. I would definitly get the bigger engine. I spent $1500 extra to get a liquid cooled and I will do it next time I buy a Walker.

clay duncan
02-28-2004, 02:59 AM
i have a 20hp with the 9.5 catcher box and it is a awesome machine. it is perfect for my accounts which are mostly residential with an average of .5 to 3.5 acres. if you do not want to collect grass simply leave catcher door open. if i were mowing larger accounts i would go with a different machine. the 20 hp has plenty of power and also is easy on gas. if the machine clogs, it takes very little time and effort to unclog. i have not seen a mower yet that mowes well when wet...... clay

slplow
02-28-2004, 08:45 AM
I run both the 20 hp and 26efi (efi was only $500. more) The 26 efi burn less fuel than 20hp. I also run the speed up kit which makes the mowers more productive. There only down side to me,is that they do not make a 52'' or larger ghs deck.

cgland
02-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Gardenpro - You are correct that more hp will not make the machine suck faster, but what it will do is give you a higher tip speed thus cutting your clippings into smaller pieces making it easier to suck them up.

Chris

dkeisala
02-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by clay duncan
i have a 20hp with the 9.5 catcher box and it is a awesome machine. it is perfect for my accounts which are mostly residential with an average of .5 to 3.5 acres. if you do not want to collect grass simply leave catcher door open. if i were mowing larger accounts i would go with a different machine. the 20 hp has plenty of power and also is easy on gas. if the machine clogs, it takes very little time and effort to unclog. i have not seen a mower yet that mowes well when wet...... clay Ditto

weedwoop
02-28-2004, 01:37 PM
While your shopping for this type of mower you should also look at the Scag Cougar. It has a deeper deck and you can collect, mulch and side discharge with the same deck. Takes less than 5 min. to change from one to the other. I have had one for 3 years and have been quite satisfied, that is once I accepted the fact that it is a high maintenance machine. From what I have read here, the Walker is also. I looked at Walker last year and the thing that scared me away was that shallow deck. I don't think it would work as well around here.

specialtylc
02-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by weedwoop
While your shopping for this type of mower you should also look at the Scag Cougar. It has a deeper deck and you can collect, mulch and side discharge with the same deck. Takes less than 5 min. to change from one to the other. I have had one for 3 years and have been quite satisfied, that is once I accepted the fact that it is a high maintenance machine. From what I have read here, the Walker is also. I looked at Walker last year and the thing that scared me away was that shallow deck. I don't think it would work as well around here.

A shallow deck depth shouldnt make a difference if all you use it for is bagging.

mow2nd
02-28-2004, 06:26 PM
I don't know much about the Walker. My dealer keeps saying I need to get one, but when I talk to the Mechanics they say a different story.

Looks like a lot going on with these walkers, i guess what i mean is there is a lot that could go wrong.

Just curious why do you want a walker?

walker-talker
02-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Royalslover
I say this on every walker thread. the Walker is the best mower out there for bagging and the worst mower if you're not bagging.
Why is it such a bad mower for not bagging?

Royalslover
02-29-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by walker-talker
Why is it such a bad mower for not bagging?

Number one: it's very uncomfortable, at least for me. I'm not tall enough to reach the front foot rest and and it kills my back to sit that way too long. It is not very fast although it is very maneuverable. I also don't think that it is built heavy enough to mow rough ground. I will admit that I have never used a mulching or sd deck on my Walker so maybe I'd change my mind if I did. It is also terrible on hills. That being said, I'm the biggest Walker homer in the land when it comes to bagging.