PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when it is time to BUY a PERMA GREEN SPREADER?

ECLC
02-25-2004, 07:28 PM
I am seriously considering buying one of these spreaders.
I am currently using Lescos push spreader, but this is taking way to much time and is killing our guys in the middle of the summer.
Thanks for any help.

rob1325
02-25-2004, 07:31 PM
Once you try one you will know. If you have work for it , then try one out. Also, it will be a time saver for you and your guys. I have three of them and they are great!

trying 2b organic
02-25-2004, 07:31 PM
I dont know that spreader but Lesco is the best spreader available in Canada and what I bought after testing all others.

edward hedrick
02-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Lesco has a new ride on spreader. Saw at show today. sells for about 1/2 of Perma-green. Looks like a Lesco spreader w a motor

in back. Ed

CSRA Landscaping
02-25-2004, 11:10 PM
Yeah but you can't spray with the Lesco spreader.

ECLC
02-26-2004, 07:27 AM
The Lesco spreader does not look as well belt to me as the perma green spreader.
The perma green spreader looks like a lot of stainless steel was used to construct the unit.
I dont mind buying one for what they cost, I just want to make sure it would be a good investment.
Thanks for the replys.

Grassmechanic
02-26-2004, 08:18 AM
No PG for me. I enjoy the exercise I get pushing a spreader.

trophytkr
02-26-2004, 04:11 PM
I bought my first perma green unit last year. The new supreme unit. I can do granular or liquid at a rate of 3000 square feet per minute. At times last year i was making 100 dallars an hour. If you have enough properties close together this is possible. Will never go back to a push spreader. Granulars work better for fertilizers slower releise longer lasting but liquids work alot better for weed control. You have the best of both worlds! Go for it!!:)

DUSTYCEDAR
02-26-2004, 04:14 PM
buy it u cant go wrong

Randy Scott
02-27-2004, 10:29 AM
What's the cost on the Perma Green? I thought around $5000 or so. What have some of you paid?

KenH
02-27-2004, 11:39 AM
You can read my review in the past issue of Turf.

ECLC
02-27-2004, 12:35 PM
I just got off the phone with perma green and since no body in my area has one for me to go see. Perma green said that they would give me a 10% discount on the unit as long as I would demo the unit for another customer in the future.
Unit price 4800.00 plus 150.00 shipping - 10% discount

CSRA Landscaping
02-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Lesco told me $4600

4evergreenlawns
02-28-2004, 07:03 PM
I bought a Perma Green two years ago. I was treating 150 residential lawns on a 5 treatment lesco plan with a push spreader. I just could not get the weed control with granular and did not want to have to be on the lawn twice to get a good fert and weed control with a sprayer.

Went to the Perma Green and started the dual treatments. Cut labor by nearly 60% and I was doing all the work so I know the numbers are right. Also got improved weed control in the 1st year resulting in a reduce amount of liquid chemicals on repeat customers also lower my cost. My margins have increased nearly 70% without increasing my rates.

The Perma Green paid for itself in the first season and is till making me money. I sell more treatment plans now that I can treat an acre in about 40 minutes, and that is the same time for dual apps. I can treat 40 houses a day easy more if they are close together. I am at the point not that if I can not treat it with the Perma Green I do not take the job. I only keep my push spreader as a back up should the perma green be down.

Colorado Mowerboy
02-28-2004, 09:24 PM
I saw a demo of one called Z-Spray, this thing is built on like a (not exactly the same) great Dane or Stander type frame. This thing looks like it is way better than any of the other ones. Two sizes available. Very nice guy that owns the company and designed this thing 1-765-482-2040.

scottt
02-28-2004, 11:29 PM
The new price as of about a month ago is 4800 plus 150 for shipping. I got mine just before the price went up for 4800 with shipping. Try to get their six payment no interest deal.
CSRA,
Was that price from a few years ago, because I've never heard of them selling it for less than the factory? By the way, not tax added from the factory.

DFW Area Landscaper
02-28-2004, 11:34 PM
I too am having problems with apps taking entirely too much time. My minimum price for an app is now $38.97 for the first 5,000 sq ft and then $5.00 per thousand after that...six apps a year. I know I'm a little higher than most in my area, but I really dread doing these apps with the equipment I have. The four apps in the fall, winter and spring where broadleaf weeds need to be treated with post emergence is just killing me. I have to go over the lawn once with the push spreader to get the pre-m & fert down. Then, I have to go over the lawn with the back pack sprayer. And going over the lawn with the sprayer isn't really what's killing my time, it's re-filling the back pack sprayer that just kills me.

I've been seriously considering buying a 300 gallon spray rig from Lesco. But the problem with that is that I'll have to pay another $130 per month in storage costs.

Two questions for those who use these:

1.) What percentage of residential gates can the PermaGreen fit through, generally speaking?

2.) How does the PermGreen save time in the summer when you're applying granular fertilizer and spot treating grassy weeds, broadleaf weeds and nutsedge? It seems to me that a push spreader would be just as fast.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

CSRA Landscaping
02-29-2004, 01:20 AM
Scott,
That was last week or the week before.

greenngrow
02-29-2004, 06:13 AM
when your feet and back start hurting at the end of the day. LOL
You can't go wrong with the unit. I have one and looking at getting another

tennissippi
02-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by 4evergreenlawns

The Perma Green paid for itself in the first season and is till making me money. I sell more treatment plans now that I can treat an acre in about 40 minutes, and that is the same time for dual apps. I can treat 40 houses a day easy more if they are close together.

It really takes you 40 minutes to treat an acre? Seems like a long time with the PG. Are you spraying then spreading?

tennissippi
02-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by CSRA Landscaping
Lesco told me $4600

Only paid $4500 for mine.

4evergreenlawns
02-29-2004, 09:28 PM
If you can treat an acre faster that go for it, and I spreader and spray at the same time when needed.

How long are you taking to treat an acre??

As for the gate question the Perma green will go anywhere a 36" cutting deck will go and that is most gates.

As for spot treatments, the spray can be controled with a on/off and spring loaded on demand type switch. You can spray as you go or just spot treat. I htink the money is better spent on a Perma green than on a 300gal spray unit.

tennissippi
03-01-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by 4evergreenlawns
If you can treat an acre faster that go for it....How long are you taking to treat an acre??

No need to get angry. I was just asking. It takes me about 20-25 minutes. That includes the extra time filling up.

ant
03-02-2004, 11:14 PM
i picked up my first unit back in 1996 and now have 2 and i work alone..
only down fall -----i put on about 50 lbs. or so LOL
if i cant ride the lawn i wont bid it..

ECLC
03-03-2004, 07:43 AM
Ant
How many accounts did you have to justify the unit? I have alot of larger commerical motels, mostly resturants, and the rest is high end residential homes. Here we fertilieze alot in the summer, (centipede grass) so it is really hot and pushing these spreaders is getting really bad. Not to bad when you have .5 acre. I really think that having one would benifit me. Has anyone done the fin. charge plan?
Thanks

4evergreenlawns
03-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Tenni,

Not getting or meant to be angry. Just know what I am doing and how long it takes me. I am talking about a true acre. Not an Acre lot where the home takes up 30% of the lot. But maybe my watch in Chicago is slower than your watch in Zone 7b.

Reguardless, the perma green is a must have if you are putting down several applications per season, or if you want to mix liquid and dry applictions and if you have several large properties on your account list and see those increasing.

The savings in labor and improved uniformity in application will yeild a very high ROI.

Good luck

PR Fect
03-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Go to Perma Green site, you can buy used. Save a few bucks