PDA

View Full Version : I need help landing

zyter
02-26-2004, 12:08 AM
I have an opportunity to bid on a small airport for their lawncare. This is a close friends airport and they have been maintaining it themselves. There is 25 acres of mowing and the only obsticles are the landing strip lights. They have been mowing with a tractor and 20' gang mower. At this time I have 4 exmark 60's. I'm thinking about selling 2 of them and buying a Lazer 60 or 72. I could really use some help with pricing. They claim they can cut it in 4 hours.

Thanks,

sildoc
02-26-2004, 12:43 AM
They will cut it faster with the 20' gang then you will ever think of cutting with your 60". I would go and get a small Kubota or something in that range and a 15 or so foot gang. About the same price used.
I would say since it is rough cutting for the airport that it would take roughly 4-6 hrs. As fast as you can go.
First thing is to check for large obsticles other than the runway lights. If so charge for removal.
After that you should be pretty set for wide open mowing.
My understanding from the guy who has a couple of the small private landing strips locally is that he gets roughly 125 a month to mow 1 time 4 acres. I takes him less than an hour. I would bid, with proper equiptment, 450 each time. Most likely will turn out to be 5-6 times a year.
Local law states all infield grass and bush must be less than 16 inches all debris must be less than 6 inches. out field debris must be less than 36 inches unless in city where zoning states less than 16". FAA varies per landing strip and wether they have other than owner taking off and landing and wether they have comercial airlines using area.
All in all I probably would quote 5 grand for 7-8 mowings to keep in regulations.
Good luck.
Equiptment is the key here.
Might be best to turn down unless you are willing to spend what it takes just to do one property.

zyter
02-26-2004, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the input sildoc. Greatly appreciated!

bastalker
02-26-2004, 03:47 AM
Zyter, if you have 4- 60" exmarks now, you have just as much cuttin width as the gang mower for the most part already. Why sell 2 to buy one, unless you just want to upgrade. I would think you could keep up the same pace as their gang mower if its not to rough. The thing is, with your 60"s, you would have to cut more often, or it would get to be to much on your mowers.

If they didn't want it cut as often, I would go with what sildoc said, an go for a Kubota with a gang. I just wouldn't want to spend 8-10 grand on something that was just used at the airport to make 5 grand.

The good thing about the kubota though. One guy can do the job intead of 4. If I had 4 guys running the 60"s on 25 acres, I would have to charge at least $800- $1000 a cut. Here anyway.

cush
02-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Ask them if you can use one of their jets to pull the gang with! lol:p

CamLand
02-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by zyter
I have an opportunity to bid on a small airport for their lawncare. This is a close friends airport and they have been maintaining it themselves. There is 25 acres of mowing and the only obsticles are the landing strip lights. They have been mowing with a tractor and 20' gang mower. At this time I have 4 exmark 60's. I'm thinking about selling 2 of them and buying a Lazer 60 or 72. I could really use some help with pricing. They claim they can cut it in 4 hours.

Thanks, just a quick question,why would you sell 2 60" machines What do you plan on replacing them with..

also if you do have intrest in selling them PM me please

ronwarren
02-27-2004, 04:01 PM
watch out for low flying airplanes !!!!!!!! Boost your insurance, airplanes are seriously expensive

zyter
02-28-2004, 11:56 PM
Your thoughts were correct on the sixties. I was thinking it would be a good excuse to upgrade. After more consideration I might get rid of one instead of two. I do have other larger accounts tha t the Z would help. I love the cut of the sixties but they're getting up there in hours.

I want to price this fairly for my customer as well as make it worth while us. I'm concerned about blowing them away with the cost when they are used to cutting themselves ( the owners). Their time and equipment is worth something.

Thanks for help!

zyter
02-28-2004, 11:58 PM
Camland,

I'll keep you posted if I upgrade.