PDA

View Full Version : tunias'..waves vs tidal waves

GarPA
02-26-2004, 04:50 AM
we do a number of large commercial flower installs and mostly we've used the "normal" Wave petunia that stays low and hugs the ground. imho all the Wave varieties are fabulous. Last year I used some Tidal Waves on one property and really liked how they performed. They "stand up" about 12 inches or so. I dont know if it was a fluke or what but they seemed to be a stronger variety with less need for fert. I almost ignored these from a fert standpoint on this particular property last year and they did well. I;m considering going to the Tidals on the larger displays this year. If you've used both, I'd like to hear if you've been satisfied with the Tidals vs the low growing variety...thanks

DFW Area Landscaper
05-31-2004, 02:34 PM
I was told by the nursery folk that the wave petunias tolerate heat a lot better than normal petunias. It sounds like you had pretty good success with the waves, but aren't you in Pennsylvania? What kind of over night lows and day time highs do you see in the heat of summer?

We see lows in the lower 80's and highs over 100 pretty consistently. I'm concerned that the waves won't like that. I've been to the wave-rave.com websight, and it says nothing about heat tolerance.

I've got some planted where they'll get a little bit of noon shade this season from some bradfords. Just curious to see if anyone knows how well they tolerate extreme heat.

Thanks,
DFW Area Landscaper

NCSULandscaper
06-01-2004, 06:35 PM
here is a comparison on the waves vs tidal waves. First pic of of tidal wave petunias.

NCSULandscaper
06-01-2004, 06:36 PM
regular waves...............