PDA

View Full Version : Briggs recoil starter clutch?

fga
02-26-2004, 12:42 PM
How ya doing? The bearings on my B & S clutch are shot, and I have to replace the clutch. Any idea on how to get this thing off? I don't see any bolts for it. I'm about to push this mower into a river........

J&R
02-26-2004, 01:09 PM
It spins off clockwise They have a tool to take it off. But you can use a hammer tap it colckwise and it will spin off.

J&R
02-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Sorry that shoud be taken off counter clockwise and put on clockwise. righty tighty lefty loosey

barnard
02-26-2004, 01:14 PM
Use a large pair of channel lock pliers on the large lugs .that the small screws holdin g the wire screen were in.

fga
02-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks guys! Atleast now I have a clue. There's only a few mower shops around here, and not only are they rediculously priced, but you get your machines back in about a month:angry: . So I try and do things myself, despite the grief. Glad you guys are around and this site!

fga
02-26-2004, 02:05 PM
I got it off, thanks. I don't think I have to replace it, I cleaned it up w/ WD40, and it spins really good. I was going to add some grease, what would you recommend in this situation? I lost one bearing in the process, just disappered :confused: The new clutch is only about 10-15 bucks, but they treat you like crap when you go in there, rather not do it.

J&R
02-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Don't had grease. Get the new clutch anything like grease or wd 40 will cause dirt biuld up and quit working again.

eddies
02-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Dont use grease because the balls are free floating. WD 40 is ok it will evaporate over time. The small hole in the end is for lubrication without taking the entire clutch off, some older units do not have the hole.