PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate lift assist in Northern Tool catalog

LawnMower
02-26-2004, 12:51 PM
I'm sitting here looking at the new Northern Tool catalog, and was just wondering. Am I more beneficial to buy a lift assist for $199 and put it on? Or am I better off making one?

Theres some threads on here with some great pictures of tailgate assists that guys have made.

My thinking is, if I buy it, then all I have to do is slap it on and it works. If I make it, then theres a lot of room for for mistakes. But it may be a lot cheaper to make it then to shell out $129 for one side. Or $199 for both sides

Opinions?

germann
02-26-2004, 01:13 PM
I'd save the headache and buy one.

NCSULandscaper
02-26-2004, 01:32 PM
As a safety issue, its better to buy one that has been tested and proven that its safe enough to sell. If you make one and it breaks and hurts someone, you are 100% reliable for it. Just spend the extra money for your protection.

gogetter
02-26-2004, 01:57 PM
What size is your gate? I use 1 of the EZ-Gate lifts on my 5'x10' trailer and it works great.

Depending on the size, you may be able to get away with just one.

As much as I like mine, there actually is a design out there that I like better. It's a small torsion spring (or two on larger gates) that mounts at the bottom of the gate. I have no idea who makes them or where to get them, I've only seen pics of them on the net.

The reason I like it, is because it's out of the way. It doesn't take up any rail space on the trailer. And on my small trailer, the E-Z Gate takes up a good bit of one rail. Less room for various racks.

Hmmm, but now that I say that, I wonder how that torsion spring design affects being able to remove the gate when needed?
I wish there was a local place that offered them, so I could see it in person.

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-26-2004, 02:02 PM
I used some of the pics I found here, spent 1.5 hours including buying the materials, and built my own. $129 or $199 is a rip off....I spent $27.....

At the time I had more time than money.....

Derek

:D

GreenMonster
02-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by gogetter
What size is your gate? I use 1 of the EZ-Gate lifts on my 5'x10' trailer and it works great.

Depending on the size, you may be able to get away with just one.

As much as I like mine, there actually is a design out there that I like better. It's a small torsion spring (or two on larger gates) that mounts at the bottom of the gate. I have no idea who makes them or where to get them, I've only seen pics of them on the net.

The reason I like it, is because it's out of the way. It doesn't take up any rail space on the trailer. And on my small trailer, the E-Z Gate takes up a good bit of one rail. Less room for various racks.

Hmmm, but now that I say that, I wonder how that torsion spring design affects being able to remove the gate when needed?
I wish there was a local place that offered them, so I could see it in person.

Hudson trailers come with that torsion spring, but it makes it a PITA to change (I think). I bought a 7ton trailer last year with ramps for my Bobcat/mini exv. Now that I want to put the gate on this spring, I found the ramps and gates aren't interchangeable because the gate requires different mount than the ramps.

So.... I'm building a ramp gate this weekend.

LawnMower
02-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by dmontgomery
I used some of the pics I found here, spent 1.5 hours including buying the materials, and built my own. $129 or $199 is a rip off....I spent $27.....

At the time I had more time than money.....

Derek

:D

Thats all the time it took you? It worked ok?

This is a picture of what my tail gate looks like.

Clark Landscaping
02-26-2004, 05:15 PM
I would like to buy torsion springs if any one know where they can be bought please post a link or a phone number, sweet car by the way.

BOTURF
02-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Iam in with the idea to buy one which is tested and proven , if mine broke and hurt someone if it was homemade i would feel like killing myself then , i bought a ballard gate assist and only use one on my 14 ft trailer with a dang heavy gate . Its been on there 3 years and havent had a problem with it yet

MOturkey
02-26-2004, 09:00 PM
I bought an EZ Gate for my trailer last week. Haven't installed it as yet. Just waiting for the 60 degree weather. I bought mine at an area trailer manufacturer for $150. Something you might check out around where you live. He bought a 100, and probably got a better price. Direct from Ballard they are $169 plus $20 shipping. I don't know they Northern price, but bought my Fastraps for a couple of bucks less each than direct through Northern.

rookiemower
02-26-2004, 09:19 PM
i made mine and i bet its just as safe as EZ Gates it has a piece of wire around the spring that attaches to the back bolt in case it ever shattered and as long as you don't use cheap wire you'll be fine it took me roughly $25 and 1 hour

mdb landscaping
02-26-2004, 09:40 PM
we just make our own. use two garage door springs, run a cable through the middle in case it ever breaks and bolt it down......works like a charm.

sildoc
02-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Made mine. 38 bucks for both sides. works wonders. 160 lbs springs 2 pullies. 2-10 ft sections of vinal coated strand stainless steel wire and 2-68" sections of 1 3/4" thin wall tubing. 2- caps with 5/8" holes drilled in them. welded a bolt on to trailer and mounted one end of spring to it. then took and threaded the spring through the tubing and attached the stranded wire, threaded the wire through the caps and welded them on. attached other end of wire to gate via carabener and 3 wire crimps. found where I wanted my pully and welded that on.
Do it to both sides and save well over 150.
That is half a new trimmer or something.
Works great.

stevo22
02-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by sildoc
Made mine. 38 bucks for both sides. works wonders. 160 lbs springs 2 pullies. 2-10 ft sections of vinal coated strand stainless steel wire and 2-68" sections of 1 3/4" thin wall tubing. 2- caps with 5/8" holes drilled in them. welded a bolt on to trailer and mounted one end of spring to it. then took and threaded the spring through the tubing and attached the stranded wire, threaded the wire through the caps and welded them on. attached other end of wire to gate via carabener and 3 wire crimps. found where I wanted my pully and welded that on.
Do it to both sides and save well over 150.
That is half a new trimmer or something.
Works great.

have any pics to share???

Royalslover
02-27-2004, 01:15 AM
I made mine also but I used a torsion spring(available at any garage door shop). That way if it breaks it won't kill anyone and it's out of sight beneath the trailer. It also provides equal tension no matter the position of the ramp. I've used it for 5 years without a problem.

LawnMower
02-27-2004, 12:08 PM
I already have 2 brand new garage door springs. there the thicker ones too. Think about it, when was the last time you heard of a garage door spring or wire breaking and hurting someone? Im sure it happens. So if the tension on the tail gate is the same as the tension on a garage door, then you should be all good.
I was concerned about how much of a pain in the neck it would be to build it. From what some of you guys said, its not much of a pain in the neck at all. This time of year I have about as much time on my hands as Santa Claus. April is another story in Rhode Island.

matthew horner
02-27-2004, 12:53 PM
how do you get a torsion spring under the trailer to work. Do you just bolt it halfway up the outside of the ramp?

Royalslover
02-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by matthew horner
how do you get a torsion spring under the trailer to work. Do you just bolt it halfway up the outside of the ramp?

I ran a shaft under my trailer. It sticks out about 6" on each side and is mounted about a foot behind the rear wheels. It is mounted with a carrier bearing on each side. The spring is on the shaft and there is a garage door pulley on each end that the cable is wrapped around. The cable then runs up to a pulley on top of the trailer frame(I have 4' sides)and is attached to the tailgate. If this makes no sense pm me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a drawing.