PDA

View Full Version : Can I post a pic of my lawn for ideas?

KathysLGC
02-26-2004, 02:42 PM
Not sure if it's ok to do so i'll ask first. I want to do something to our new house to make it look good. there are alot of exspensive homes near me and I get looked at alot while using my snow thrower on my drive way. I'm not sure why alot of the poeple around here have big house, real nice landscaped lawns but choose to shovel their drive ways when it snows....

I got out of the buisiness last year due to many changes in my life and I am getting ready to start back up for 2005 or maybe even this winter with snow plowing.

I want to take this summer to fix up my place. I already ordered two weeping willows (we have wet lands) and some ever greens for some privacy but I want some ideas on what else to get and where to put it. I want to do a bird bath and feeder with a bench some where so we can sit and watch the birds. i want a few more flower beds ect... I don't have a set budget as this is going to be a long project for me but I don't just have money lying around to dump on my lawn.

Not sure what type of grass is there now but the previous owner took real good care of it and we moved in, in October and it looked good and full.

Thanks
Edgar

The Lawn Boy Pro
02-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Why not? Dont see any reason not to do so LOL:p

KathysLGC
02-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by The Lawn Boy Pro
Why not? Dont see any reason not to do so LOL:p

i just want to make sure I wont get flamed.

Let it Grow
02-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Post it. MOST of us are here to give advice. There are always those trying to prove that they are better then you, but most of us are just here to help & learn.

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Do you guys know if these are salvageable? they look pretty bad
http://community.webshots.com/s/image9/7/57/11/122375711iSEHCF_ph.jpg

I have two of these near my front steps in this same condition.

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Try again

http://community.webshots.com/s/image9/7/58/36/122375836lAICji_ph.jpg

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Ok I hate web shots!!!!!
Let me look for another pic hosting site and I'll repost

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Got it now!!!! Took me a while to figure it out

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Here is another one

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Here is a farther away view of them. If there not going to make it any ideas on what to put in there place that will look good?

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Now here are some pics of my front yard. As you can see it's a very basic yard.

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 08:58 PM
This is one side that doesn't have great grass. There is alot of shade and poor drainage due to a small stream of water flowing around the property. I would like to dress this area up some with some low maintainence shrubs with alittle ground cover and posible begium blocks. What do you guys think? Maybe a wavey shrub bed out lined in blocks?

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Another view...

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Here is a view closer to the house with an area for two cars to park

bobbygedd
03-01-2004, 09:04 PM
the buds on those rhodies look like they'll produce a nice bloom, but that's about all those will have to offer.

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 09:04 PM
This is near the garage. I'm not sure what those things are but it looks like the previous owner just wanted a bit of privacy. There ugly and coming out. I want something colorful to fill that out that likes wetlands or at least moist soil.

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Here is a pic facing the street. Over near the street there is alot of shade. I was thinking ground cover but with a twist Like some shade loving flowers or maybe some kind of Juniper?

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
the buds on those rhodies look like they'll produce a nice bloom, but that's about all those will have to offer.

So you think I should just pull them?
Also thanks for taking the time to look at the pics. I am not too familular with shrubs so I don't know what works good with what. I want to use my place as a learning ground.

KathysLGC
03-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Bump
Man this site moves fast....

Lawn Dog2001
03-02-2004, 03:27 PM
If a customer were to ask me about those rhododendrums I would recomend replacing them. They look like they will survive, but replacing them with heathier plants will sure look alot nicer.

KathysLGC
03-02-2004, 03:41 PM
Any idea what the desease is? It's a blueish green color and i don't want it to spread to anything else. I think i will replace them or remove them and put something else in there place.
A good thing is the previous owner had tp redo the septic system and brought in a lot of good soil and top soil. I was remaking the edge of the exsisting beds and I hit almost no rocks and the soil was great. The whole front yard is going to be nice to work with.

In New canaan is was rock city. You couldn't even put a cittrinella torch in with out hitting a 5-8" rock! I had to dig big holes just to install the torches where i wanted them,then i refilled them. Forget when i wanted to put up my fence........ The auger was a waste of money and time.

qualitylandscaping
03-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Lawn Dog2001
If a customer were to ask me about those rhododendrums I would recomend replacing them. They look like they will survive, but replacing them with heathier plants will sure look alot nicer.

LawnDog got it.. They look like everything around here after winter is over.. They should make it. Don't see any reason why they wouldn't. In spring, cut off any dead growth, add some soil amendments, and fertilize. Don't trim or cut them for a few months and let them fill back in and they should be fine. If you choose to replace, consider a juniper, boxwood or something to that affect that ties all of the landscaped areas together.