PDA

View Full Version : Aerate When Grass Is Dormant?

Chris Wagner
02-26-2004, 05:02 PM
Any pros or cons for aerating when grass is dormant?

Temperatures expected to hit 50 for a few days... probably cool off again, but turf is still dormant.

I won't be seeding or topdressing at this time.

Lombardi
02-26-2004, 05:05 PM
It really would not be beneficial when it is dormant. There was just a thread on this subject a couple of days ago. There were several responses to that one that may help you more.

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 05:24 PM
I agree with Lombardi, I wouldnt waste my time. We only aerate in the Fall here in NC, so I dont know what they do up north. I dont really understand anybody aerating in the spring, if it was done in the fall. I also dont understand why so many guys on here are aerating and seeding in the spring, which should have been done in the fall. If you are putting down crab grass control and spraying early spring weeds, you can't do any seeding. I guess you can, but seed doesnt stand a chance. Thats my 2 cents

Chris Wagner
02-26-2004, 05:49 PM
This would be for a field... soccer, football, school recess, gym class. Lots of use and compaction. Picking up where we left off in the Fall... where, unfortunately is when football & soccer are.

I know it's kind of backwards, but in years past I have aerated the rest of the campus. No weeds... crab or clover in the dense areas of turf to worry about.

Chris Wagner
02-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Found the thread that already discusses this...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63182

Thanks!

Soupy
02-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by mow2nd
I agree with Lombardi, I wouldnt waste my time. We only aerate in the Fall here in NC, so I dont know what they do up north. I dont really understand anybody aerating in the spring, if it was done in the fall. I also dont understand why so many guys on here are aerating and seeding in the spring, which should have been done in the fall. If you are putting down crab grass control and spraying early spring weeds, you can't do any seeding. I guess you can, but seed doesnt stand a chance. Thats my 2 cents

I agree that it is to early if the grass is still dormant. But just because fall is the best time to aerate doesn't mean it is stupid to aerate in the spring. Aerating both spring and fall is very healthy for your lawns. The only downfall is Pre-emergents. But who said you had to seed every time you aerate. As long as you can time your Aeration right before your Pre-Emergent app then there is nothing wrong with it. Plus if you don't have a weed problem it is possible to skip the pre-emergent app and just hit what weeds to emerge with your broadleaf apps.

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 10:17 PM
You are also correct soupy, aerating is good for the soil and no you dont always have to seed

But skipping a Pre-M appication?? Dont you want to prevent weeds. If the lawn is weed free I would never skip a Pre-M app. Pre-m will keep new weeds from germinating. What about the neighbors yard, u know the one with all the weeds?

grass_cuttin_fool
02-26-2004, 10:21 PM
I have 1 client that wanted his yard aerated last spring, he said all the rain had compacted the soil over the winter and this way it would loosen the soil up and allow for more water to soak in. Well i dont know if it helped or hurt it but all the rain we had last year all my yards looked good including his.

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 10:25 PM
I used to work on a golf course and they aerate the greens like 4 or 5 times a year. Guess it doesnt matter when you do it or how often. It's not a bad thing.

sildoc
02-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Speaking of aeration. I am in the process of lining up my spring aerations. I had one customer ask if I would rake all of the cores and haul away. Does anyone else get this?
Just curious I tried to explain but ended up quoting higher and ended up getting the job hauling off all the cores.
Oh well. Some people are just willing to waste there money.

Soupy
02-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by mow2nd
You are also correct soupy, aerating is good for the soil and no you dont always have to seed

But skipping a Pre-M application?? Don't you want to prevent weeds. If the lawn is weed free I would never skip a Pre-M app. Pre-m will keep new weeds from germinating. What about the neighbors yard, u know the one with all the weeds?

Yes Pre-M (if you use lesco) is important, but there is instances that programs need to be adjusted. My point was that just because Fall was the best time to Aerate doesn't mean that spring aeration is alway stupid.

I have a huge sweet gum tree on the side of my house. Every spring and fall I seed under it. I still Pre-M every part of my lawn but that spot. But I also Aerate the whole lawn several times a year, including spring.

P&C Lawn Care
02-26-2004, 11:12 PM
I think if the soil is compacted it does not matter when you aerate. If you have already Pre-Emerged then it might hamper that but you can always go back with a broadleaf application to take care of those. If the lawn doesn't do well because of compaction then it needs to be done, weeds can be a secondary problem. I have a fast food place that the employees tramp across the back lawn to go in the back door, it is compacted and the grass will not do well there. I took my Honda cultivator and tilled the soil up (yes this is more than using a core aerator) but it has loosened up all the compacted soil, hopefully this will give the grass a chance to do better. It's burmuda and it is dormant but I am sure it will do weel.

Chris Wagner
02-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Thanks again for the feedback!

Our solution for limiting the cores is to do an aeration with spikes instead. More or less punches holes in the ground versus lifting out the cores.

I do find when I core aerate, we've had better success with overall quality. The spiking seems to work well for overseeding, but both work well.

I'll be using both methods this year in different areas.

Soupy
02-27-2004, 12:29 AM
Spike aeration is only good for seeding. It does nothing for compacted soil except make it worse.

odin
02-27-2004, 12:40 AM
Our solution for limiting the cores is to do an aeration with spikes instead. More or less punches holes in the ground versus lifting out the cores.

You can spike it but imo spikeing dont do much for compaction and is a waste of time ...you want compaction relieved pull those plugs every year.aeration is a on going process.
We do ours twice a year

had one customer ask if I would rake all of the cores and haul away. Does anyone else get this?

we will sometimes run a power rake or a ztr with chain strip kit and break em up ...and thats extra...most cilents dont ask to have em picked up or broken up.