PDA

View Full Version : $10.00 lawn cutting

Metro Lawn
02-26-2004, 05:04 PM
I was looking through the paper to check for my ad, and there it was. Another lawn service proudly stating $10.00 Lawn Cutting. Gee, no wonder I haven't gotten any calls..lol

MP350
02-26-2004, 05:06 PM
I bet they just rolling in the dough at $10.00 per cut, it's just cheaper to stay home sometimes.

impactlandscaping
02-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Call the guy up and tell him you have 100 lawns you want done for 10.00 each, sit back and take it easy this year...LOL!!!!

Lombardi
02-26-2004, 05:09 PM
That happens every year. There will be some catch to it such as $10 for the first 5k and $25 per 10k after that, and no trimming or blowing is included, etc.

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 05:13 PM
that's just crazy, what about the guys on here that offer FREE cutting? I guess thats ok to do too?

CNYScapes
02-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Im usually pretty calm, but those kinds of ads make me want to go Bobbygedd on people. Scrubs like that deserve a shovel upside the head. Ya he wont take any of our existing business from us, but he will slow down the expansion of our business. those scrubs will pick up 100 new lawns with that ad and thats 100 new lawns that we cant charge the going rate for.:blob2:

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Customers can't be that stupid, If somebody is doing work so cheap, they gotta suck at what they are doing.

CNYScapes
02-26-2004, 05:29 PM
dont ever underestimate how cheap a customer can be.

justmjc
02-26-2004, 05:29 PM
wow, that's low. Maybe I should call him to service my accounts and collect the difference....

I bet that's a kid or something looking for arcade money.

crawdad
02-26-2004, 05:45 PM
No, that's someone who thinks 8-10 bucks an hour is big money.
Crawdad

PCLL
02-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Since becoming fully legit I get so "angry" when a truck of scrubs drive by. Sure, some do decent work, but they ruin the market by installing false info to good customers.

Olylawnboy
02-26-2004, 07:05 PM
"go Bobbygedd on people" now that's a statement :)

kory landscaping
02-26-2004, 07:18 PM
wow,sounds like the guys by me, they cut a corner lot for $15.00, but they cut a 50x150 lot for $18.00. And they don't charge sales tax. well they only lasted for 1 month, someone turn them in for not charging sales tax.. i wonder who did that.. hmmm ohh me..
do worry when they start buy gas for machines and vehicles their learn.

wayne
kory landscaping

Metro Lawn
02-26-2004, 09:38 PM
No sales tax on a provided service in Michigan, only on merchandise. I guess it's only a matter of time.

BrianK10
02-26-2004, 09:46 PM
What a joke. Wish I could see how they are making any money at all after expenses are paid. Unbelieveable - $10. Geeze.

Brian

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 09:53 PM
I notice a lot of you can't believe somebody would cut grass for $10.00

But what about the guys on here doing FREE cutting, how come you dont rip these guys? Thats Unbelieveable!!!

Metro Lawn
02-26-2004, 10:16 PM
I don't see that giving a free cut as a promotion or business builder is all that bad, as long as you get a decent price for the rest of the work you do.

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 10:22 PM
I guess in that case, how do we know the guy running the ad is not just running a promotion?

I still disagree with doing yards dirt cheap and Free

Randy Scott
02-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by PCLL
Since becoming fully legit I get so "angry" when a truck of scrubs drive by. Sure, some do decent work, but they ruin the market by installing false info to good customers.

So, it was o.k. before you became fully legit?

gogetter
02-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by mow2nd
I notice a lot of you can't believe somebody would cut grass for $10.00

But what about the guys on here doing FREE cutting, how come you dont rip these guys? Thats Unbelieveable!!!

What's unbelievable is that you don't see the difference.

tiedeman
02-26-2004, 10:33 PM
I have to agree with ya on this one gogetter

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Whats unbelieveable is that you work for FREE, what a living

justmjc
02-26-2004, 10:35 PM
I don't cut trailer park lots for that cheap. I just can't see being a legal business for that money.

Let's say it was a one man show with about 75 accounts at $10 pop. That's $19500 in 26 weeks at maybe 50 manhours week. That's only $15/hour. I wouldn't get out of bed to pee for that.
Excluding any expenses.

You might as well go get a job at Mcdonalds making $6 hour. That's $12480/year.

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 10:44 PM
justmjc - would you cut grass for Free?

sildoc
02-26-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by mow2nd
that's just crazy, what about the guys on here that offer FREE cutting? I guess thats ok to do too?
I resemble that!
Yep 5th cut free for a 1 year agreement. You never know what the fine line is huh?
I up my price by 5 bucks per mow when I offer that. I make out way better when they take that then if I had just bid to make money.
I hate to admit but America is addicted to the word FREE. I offer it because of the word FREE. And Free is what i give them, for the 5th cut that is. None the less if it is 10 or 500 per cut you have to take in consideration what they are doing. I did offer 17.50 per cut last year on a 55+ mobile home park. Yep 17.50. Took it to the bank. Ran to the bank. could do between 4-5 per hour and had over 30 to do there. took roughly 6-7 hours a week and took home 525 every day I wen there if not more. so I would say even at 10 bucks I could make it. But would I? heck no cause they were willing to pay more.
10 bucks is a catch and it goes from there.
Don't think it isn't cause the largest company here runs a 15 bucks a cut special. Oh yes there are exclusions. Just like any where. So You bait the hook with a worm and then you wait and see how many suckers come runnin.

justmjc
02-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Here's the deal about working for free......

You can work around it so you don't lose money, yet make the customers believe they are actually getting something for free.

Free referrals get free maintanence. I service their lawn for free, but I pick up another, for another rate. Basically, I've increased my annual revenue, and only lost HALF of the normal rate. What I lost between the one is made up by the other. Split that in half and you only make slightly less than normal rate, temp. So it's not completely free in that aspect.

Also, you can bid a lot like such...

Bid $28/ week
Or bid $35/week every 5 week free.

Results are the same, but your creating an illusion that the customer is getting a deal. Or bid $30-33 and give them a deal.

Make the sale that makes you a profit, regardless, so as long as you meet your profit targets. Smart marketing is all it is, and if you aren't thinking at least creatively, you aren't really ready for the business world. Anyone can put out an flyer. Why should I or anyone buy into you, or what your selling, over everyone else?

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 10:47 PM
so every 5th cut is Free or you just do it one time for that customer?

justmjc
02-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Yes, with the way it's priced, you can see every 5th cut is free. Look at it this way. It's a small percentage if any off your bottom line to that account, to sell them your service, using the one word that attracts people.

It's like if you go to the store and see something 50% off. Well that item might have cost the store $10 but they were selling it for $50. But you come back a week later and now you see it for 70% off. You say WOW, I'm saving 70% off. First, you don't know what they paid for the item. They sell you the $50 item for $15, $5 over cost. You were given the illusion you saved major money, when instead the company profited very well off you. Similar concept.

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 10:55 PM
ok, well I understand what your saying. I guess if it works, all the more power to you. Everybody is different in how they do business, If you are factoring in the Free mowing by uping the price on a regular mowing then I can see the illusion. I never was much of a magician.............Good luck

gogetter
02-26-2004, 11:13 PM
mow2nd, if someone wanted to make up that free $30 cut somewhere else throughout the season, it would be very easy. Especially when they're getting referrals and neighbors from that one lawn. It's very easy to add in that $30 a little here and a little there until they haven't given anything away by the end of the season.
Maybe the hedge trimming job gets priced at $125 instead of $120. And the bushes they want ripped out gets priced at $75 instead of $70.

BUT, that "free cut" on the flyer/door hanger gets them the phone call in the first place.

Show me a service industry that doesn't offer "incentives" to attract new business.
Every ad in the paper has some sort of "deal".

Duct cleaning: Pay xx amount of dollars to get 12 vents cleaned and the dryer vent is free.

Carpet cleaning: Pay xx amount of dollars to get 3 rooms carpets cleaned and the sofa is cleaned free.

I could go on and on with examples. But guess what they do next? They then sell you on "add on" services at a premium price.
You want the chair cleaned too? That's another xx$.
You want the anti-bacterial mister sprayed in your vents? That's another xx$.

They're making up the difference, trust me.

lawnagent
02-26-2004, 11:16 PM
Call him and tell him that you want your personal lawn cut for $10.00 because you have a bunch of yards that you are making a butload of money on ond dont have time to get to your own!

DFW Area Landscaper
02-27-2004, 12:07 AM
++++Call him and tell him that you want your personal lawn cut for $10.00++++

Good idea.

And tell him you don't want regular service, you want to just call him whenever you think it needs it.

If he's smart enough to insist on doing it every week, explain to him that your lawn only needs it every other week.

If he has some sort of primitive written contract, look him squarely in the eyes and explain that your handshake is as good as gold. If he pushes, put your foot down and refuse to sign it. He'll cave. I guarantee it. He needs the work or he wouldn't be advertising ridiculously low prices. This guy's not gonna walk away from any opportunity.

Then, the morning or day before he's supposed to mow it the second time, call him up and tell him it doesn't need it and you want to skip.

Then, when he sends you a bill, just don't pay it.

Always try to be as friendly as possible. He's far less likely to suspend service if you're always friendly. If he asks you about the payment, smile real big and tell him you'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

About the time the bill gets to be 2 weeks past due, send him a check for a partial payment, but don't pay it all because you don't need to. As long as he gets that partial payment, he'll think he can trust you again. He'll keep mowing the lawn for at least another two months or so. If you string him along with another payment around the middle of summer or so, you can probably get your lawn mowed all season for about 70 bucks. (This assumes he hasn't quit by then.)

When he finally suspends your service, if he suspends your service, don't pay. Now, hire another guy advertising $10 cuts.

By the time this guys' been through this with just one deadbeat, at 10 per cut with his own equipment, he'll soon realize he's much better off wearing the micky D's uniform for 8 bucks an hour.

Of course, you don't have to do this to him. It really won't matter. Because I guarantee his customers will be doing this to him.

This guy will not be competing with you in 12 months. If he is, he won't be competing with you at these prices.

Keep your prices where you need them. Insist on your terms. Continue to advertise. Maintain a professional image. I guarantee you can still gain customers even with bozo the clown and a dozen others advertising rates far below fair value.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

charlies
02-27-2004, 12:25 AM
awww, i don't know dfw, i think he should only charge $9.00 per lawn, just to show off a little.:D

Metro Lawn
02-27-2004, 11:58 AM
I figured it up. If he would cut all my lawns for $10. I could make about $4500 a week and never leave the house. SWEET!!!!