PDA

View Full Version : fertilizing w/out license(Indiana)

Nitroman
02-26-2004, 06:41 PM
I do not have a chem. license and have just learned that I don't need one to apply fertilizer. Do you guys have any suggestions on walking the dry stuff? I need to know how much to dispense and when. Also, can I spread the fertilizer with anti weed mix without a license?:blob4:

Premo Services
02-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Oh boy, you can probally apply fertilizer without a licence, but you have to read lables of what you are using to see the correct amount to apply, you could damage to lawn by overappling fertilizer.
As for as how much to put out, it is on the label, and you know what they say
"THE LABEL IS THE LAW".
As for as the question about spreading fert. with a anti weed mix, I believe that the weed killer is a pesticide and you would need a license to apply that. Try to talk to the Dept of agriculture agent in Indiana, they will steer you in the right direction.

pushu2
02-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Your questions show why licenses are important. ALWAYS read the label, never use pesticides if your not licensed and for your own sake study the local laws.:nono:

Premo Services
02-28-2004, 09:30 AM
http://www.isco.purdue.edu/index_pest1.htm
That is a link to indiana dept of ag.

sodzilla
02-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Here in WI you can apply fert without a license if you follow the label directions. I you deviate from the directions in any way you can't do it without an applicators license. Weed killer is a pesticide and you must be licensed to aplly.

Russ
02-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Go ahead and get your license. The Indiana test is not hard or expensive and you will learn a lot in the process.

cecropia11
11-11-2011, 08:00 AM
where in Indiana do you go to get a license, i have been looking online and the only thing that I can find is through Purdue, is that where you have to go in Indiana for applicator license.

Russ
11-11-2011, 08:42 AM
The Office of Indiana State Chemist issues the license but the test are generally taken at Purdue. There are some off site testing available. Look here for more information as well as study material
http://www.isco.purdue.edu/pesticide/exam_study_materials.html

Ric
11-11-2011, 09:38 AM
The Office of Indiana State Chemist issues the license but the test are generally taken at Purdue. There are some off site testing available. Look here for more information as well as study material
http://www.isco.purdue.edu/pesticide/exam_study_materials.html

Russ

Good to see an old member posting again. Your posts were always worth reading.

GravelyGuy
11-11-2011, 10:26 AM
You cannot apply any combination products(crabgrass preventer, weed & feed, etc) without a license.
Posted via Mobile Device

cecropia11
11-11-2011, 10:50 AM
which one of the listings on the Purdue site is for applicators license, is it turf management. also is there a way to study what is on the test. I know through the Purdue website it offers books or cds for the course of study, however they are 30 dollars, is there some other way of getting that same info free.

Russ
11-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Spend the 30 bucks. The book is well worth the money and everything that is on the test is in the book. By the way, The Midwest Regional Turf Foundation is having a Basic Training in Turf Management Dec. 8th at the Vanderburgh Co. Extension Office in Evansville 8:30 to 4. Cost is $60 for MRTF members $90 for non members. It would be well worth your time and money to attend.

gebby
11-11-2011, 08:03 PM
When I bought my books in Ohio I believe it was 35.00, best 35.00 I ever spent. Buy the books. They are deductible. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

fireman gus
11-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Here in Oklahoma you are suppose to have a license to apply weed control apps. as well as fertilizer. The Dept.of Ag. doesn't monitor the fertilizing as much as they do the weed control. I have asked about this and they say they don't have enough time or people to watch for everything. However we did have a LCO get into trouble about fertilizing without a license a couple of years ago. Our local newspaper ran an article on lawn companies and showed a picture of him fertilizing a yard. The Dept. of Ag. did speak with him (I heard there was a small fine) and the paper. The paper ran an article the next week about licensing and the requirements needed to spray for weeds and fertilize yards.

cecropia11
11-13-2011, 08:48 AM
by the way if i get a applicators license in Indiana what could I do with it as far as jobs go,

Russ
11-13-2011, 10:22 AM
There is the Core and the category. You must pass the Core first but, it is very easy. Second are the categories. 3B is the most common and it would allow you to pursue turf pest as well as fertilize. 3A is possibly the 2nd most common and it would allow you to treat trees and shrubs for pest as well as apply in nurseriies. 5 is for aquatics. 7 is for home pest excluding termites. 6 is bare ground and if you get all of these you will be in great demand if you chose to work for someone else. Just the 3B and core and you can gross over 100K easily.

cecropia11
11-13-2011, 11:29 AM
working for what kind of establishment.

Russ
11-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Working for yourself

cecropia11
11-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Russ

I thank you for your time and patients in answering my questions. As I am in-between jobs and may want to farther this along into maybe a career. thank you

phillie
11-15-2011, 01:01 AM
If you are looking to work for somebody some places will pay for the test for you. With the core you can apply pesticides but you must maintain a line of communication with a category licensed applicator. There are a few different lines of work you can go into. Most on here apply pesticides to residential or commercial properties, Some work for golf courses, some work for the city, and some work for farmers.

tillerkiller
11-15-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm confused. Can fertilizer alone be applied without a license? From what I've found it can, as long as no herbicides, pesticides, or any kind of weed control is used. Can someone please clarify?

gebby
11-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Depends on the State. In Ohio you do not need a licence to put down fertilizer.

31bro
11-16-2011, 09:13 AM
I'm confused. Can fertilizer alone be applied without a license? From what I've found it can, as long as no herbicides, pesticides, or any kind of weed control is used. Can someone please clarify?

Yes you are correct but starting in 2012 the rules will change that you will need a license for fertilizing also.

phillie
11-16-2011, 11:38 PM
really? I havent heard about this rule change. Is this info on purdues site?

phillie
11-16-2011, 11:59 PM
31bro, are you talking about category 14? Does that apply to lawn care businesses? I just read it as spreading manure and/or commercial fertilizer to a crop. I'm going to call the state chemist tomorrow to find out. Thats going to be difficult getting cch's for that and pesticides. It would be nice though, I now a few mowers that fert on their own that may not be willing to get certified even though its only like $45.

31bro
11-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Thats what we were told at the workshop we went to the summer. I believe if you are already a license you are ok. I assumed it was like a step under getting your rt. Please let us know what Purdue says if you find out for sure.

cecropia11
11-18-2011, 01:57 AM
from what I have read just from doing my own research is. That yes you do have to have a license to apply fertilizer in IN. From what I have read is, that even if you have fertilizer listed on work vehicle in Indiana by law you have to have a license, even if you do not any longer apply fertilizer as long as there is a advertisement for applying fertilizer without a license you can get find.

phillie
11-21-2011, 01:31 AM
from what I have read just from doing my own research is. That yes you do have to have a license to apply fertilizer in IN. From what I have read is, that even if you have fertilizer listed on work vehicle in Indiana by law you have to have a license, even if you do not any longer apply fertilizer as long as there is a advertisement for applying fertilizer without a license you can get find.

No not yet anyway. So far you only need a license for pesticides. I still haven't gotten around to calling about next year. I have been applying fertilizer for 10 yrs and have never needed a license for it.