PDA

View Full Version : Which 32" walk-behind

ZaK18
02-26-2004, 05:51 PM
I need your opinion to help me choose my first wb. The models I'm looking at are the, Toro recycler belt-drive w/ floating deck and T-bar, Snapper hydro, Exmark metro or viking.

Thanks in advance!!!

ElephantNest
02-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Belt and hydro are apples and oranges. Cost no object? Exmark viking 32".

ZaK18
02-26-2004, 06:56 PM
cost really isnt a issue! Are there many advantages to getting a hydro vs belt?

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 07:02 PM
HYDRO COST MORE TO REPLACE THAN BELTS
HYDRO MOWER COST MORE
HYDRO CAN CUT WHEN GRASS IS WET
BELT CAN SLIP IF THEY GET WET
BELT EASIER TO MAINTAIN
WHY NOT GO WITH A 36 IN WB?
IF YOU ARE GOING WITH A 32 OR 36 I WOULDNT WASTE THE MONEY ON A HYDRO. IF YOU GO WITH A 48 THEN I WOULD CONSIDER HYDRO, BUT GOOD LUCK GETTING INTO BACK YARDS. AT LEAST WITH A 36 YOU CAN GET IN THE BACK YARDS WITH OUR NEEDING A PUSH MOWER

bobbygedd
02-26-2004, 07:59 PM
my 32" exmark is so old, mac looks like a teenager standing next to it. belt drive, 12 hp kawi, cuts wet grass, tall grass, rocks, you name it. love it

ElephantNest
02-26-2004, 08:16 PM
I sometimes wish I had gotten a 32" instead of my 36", now that I have a 60" LazerZ. The 32" would go in 100% of the backyards, no prob. As it is now, once a week I must drag out the 21", sure would be nice to be able to leave it home.

As for belt vs. hydro, hydros are quicker, easier to handle, less fatique, more productive being they are a true zero turn, where belt is not. Belts are still beasts that will cut for years, but if price is no matter, get a hydro.....they cost more for a reason.

lawnman_scott
02-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Go with the exmark hydro. I have a 32 toro belt, but in the next year am going to get the exmark hydro. Hydro will be alot faster, and time is money.

Sam-Ohio
02-26-2004, 08:50 PM
This isn't what you asked about - but is a real interesting alternative.

Gravely has a new Z rider they call the 34-Z. Here is why I think it's a real interesting .

1. Its price is the same as their 36"hydro walk - $3995 and you said price is not a facter to you.

2. It has a 5 1/2 inch deep, 7 ga. thick steel deck, with the same spindles they use in their 60 inch riders - This is a terrific mower deck. 18,500 bl. tip speed !

3. The deck is floating type , which is unusual in this small size mower. Do the other walk behinds have a floating deck in this size ? The height of cut is set with the foot pedal lift - almost instantly. Most walk pro mowers take much more time and effort to change height or lift over a curb etc.

4. I checked the overall length of some 32" to 36" walk behinds and they were mostly 80+ inches. The 34 Z Gravely is only 75 inches long. Since the operator is behind an 80 inch long walk mower, it won't be able to manuever in tight quarters as easy as the much shorter rider that has its operator sitting mid ship.
Also, since the operator is sitting not standing, they get under trees with low limbs much easier !

5. The 34-Z has a 15 hp Kawasaki engine, and most walks this size use a 13 hp engine. It also has 21 inch dia. rear drive tires, most walks use a 13 to 16 inch dia. tire.

6. The Gravely uses separate Hydro gear pumps and wheel motors, not the cheaper IZT or AZT combo pump/motor units that you find on most of the cheaper "homeowner" Z riders. The Gravely is built commercial grade in every aspect of the machine.

Sorry for the long post - especially since it's not what you asked about to compare, but I thought the Gravely 34Z rider has some neat qualities that you might not be aware of.

ZaK18
02-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Sam

Thanks for the input. I looked at the 34Z online and I must say that is a nice mower. YOUR MAKING MY DECISION DIFFICULT!!!!!!!

ZaK18
02-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Since never owning a walkbehind is adjusting the height on a fixed deck a pain to do?

metro-hp_48
02-26-2004, 11:27 PM
To me not so much a pain, as it used to be on some, but the deck-pitch changes. (not meaning to put my big nose in this conversation).........or adjust the blades, but to me that's more trouble than it's worth. But I'm lazier than most.

ElephantNest
02-26-2004, 11:31 PM
No, it's easy. Get your blades set right and you can adjust height with the two front castors, takes a few seconds.

metro-hp_48
02-26-2004, 11:43 PM
But, in theory, wouldn't raising the front, make it cut the grass "twice"? (provided the grass was taller than the front of the blades) I know that with a "bush hog" (to use a name brand in a generic situation) If the front is lower, only the front of the blades are cutting the grass, and the back of the blades are "cutting air" so to speak. Could be totally out of my mind, and it wouldn't really make that much difference, but just in theory. (pamper my mower as much as I can, and less stress, is always better to me....he he he)

specialtylc
02-26-2004, 11:51 PM
If you dont have to cut around any obsticles such as trees etc, and hardly ever need to back up then sure a belt is a no brainer. Also floating deck makes most sense. If not all 21s,riders ,walk behinds would only adjust front tires. Check your owners manual. Deck should be 1/4 inch higher in back.

metro-hp_48
02-26-2004, 11:56 PM
"If you dont have to cut around any obsticles such as trees etc, and hardly ever need to back up then sure a belt is a no brainer"

As far as diff. conditions (for belt vs. hydro) On my Metro HP, I can't stand constantly using the brakes on hills. Will deff. go with hydro next time, for that 1 reason alone.

PMLAWN
02-27-2004, 03:04 AM
I feel the smaller WB will be used for areas that need more maneuverability and I believe the hydro is easier to do that with. I have a metro hp and am looking at a 32-36" hydro for the same reason. Also I heard it has instant reverse. That would work great for me. As far as the Gravely, would the weight of the unit with the rider be to much on the tires, Rutting?? That would be my concern. I have not seen one so I don't know what size the tires are.

brucec32
04-22-2004, 02:20 AM
The tire size on those 21"x10" seems to be about proportional with its 750 lb weight to the bigger ZTR's with their 23x9.5" and 24x12" tires and 900-1200 lb weights.

I belive the length on the Gravely 34 is only about 71.5", even shorter than the regular compact ZTRs. If you don't have hills to handle it might be a better mower for a lazy man. It also will out-produce a 36" hydro wb with a sulky for the same price. (9mph!) I know that even hydro wb's with sulkys can be cumbersome on postage stamp lawns and tight areas due to their length (over 100" with sulky). I usually found myself just unhitching and walking small lawns.

Itsgottobegreen
04-22-2004, 01:36 PM
I would recomend three machines. If cost a 32" eXmark Metro( i have one and love it), If not a 32" eXmark Viking. If you really wanted something no one else has the new wright 32" Velke mower. I have ran one and love it. But i don't use my eXmark enough to replace it. The neat thing is the velke folds up into the mower, so its out of the way when you don't need it. Like on a hill.

Leisure Lawn
04-24-2004, 04:36 PM
The Gravely 34" Z looks like a freakin' toy and....

good luck getting parts and service...

stick with ExMark or another quality brand with good dealer support!!

Fareway Lawncare
04-24-2004, 05:08 PM
eXmark...would rather floating but the Caster Spacers are Easy Enough on a Light Deck. Just Look out for the Grease!

Pecker
04-24-2004, 05:10 PM
The thing about the 34Z is why didn't they make it either a 36 or a 32???? If I can't fit something through a fence that a 32 would go through, I'd rather have a 36, which is the reason most manufacturers make a 36 or 32. Makes no sense to me. Any ideas why?

rodfather
04-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Ferris makes a 32 inch hydro that goes for about $2400. Neat setup too the way you can adjust deck height.

The C Man
04-24-2004, 06:02 PM
I've had my Better Outdoor Products Quick 36 for almost a week now. I can't compare it to any other WB's because it's my first commercial mower, but it's definitely not cheaply made. Very sturdy, but it's also compact and relatively light at less than 300 lbs.

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/products.htm

joed
04-25-2004, 07:17 AM
I have tried a toro 32 and a Ferris 32. The Ferris 32 inch hydro cut was the best. Very easy to handle and control and the instant forward/reverse is fantastic. You do have to manually steer the unit but it's relatively easy. Good luck

Tharrell
04-25-2004, 08:32 AM
A 32 is a gem in your arsenal. It can ge anywhere. Belt is the easiest to work on and inexpensive too. If it's your primary mower, I'd go hydro. But then, why use a 32 as primary. I have a 32 Bob-Cat and love it. It stripes and the cut is just unbeatable.

VT_Grassman
06-15-2004, 11:12 PM
OK, now that we're in the height of the grass season, I'm curious about your experiences to date with the Better Products' Quick 36.
I demoed the Simplicity Pacer 1334 which appears to be a very close cousin. (Single hydro, Briggs Intek, electric start, etc. I have fairly steep hills on 3 sides of a lawn and I had trouble with the Simplicity getting stuck/spinning at the bottom. In fairness, the grass was still extra "Spring Slimy" but that was a show stopper for me. The quality of cut, etc was very good and it seemed to be well built and easy to service.

As far as the Quick 36:

Would you buy another?

What do you like best about it?

What do you like least about it?

Any problems?

Were they handled to your satisfaction?

(I have no connection to the company but was doing a search on Lawnsite.com about the unit as I am considering buying one)

Either PM me back or post to Lawnsite.

Thanks for your time

WoodBrothersLC
06-16-2004, 08:03 AM
Exmark is no longer making the 32 hydro; we were looking at getting it but it is now discontinued.