PDA

View Full Version : LazerZ or Toro ZMaster?

cecilcountylco
02-26-2004, 07:29 PM
i'm getting ready to make a decision on a new ztr. wanted to know if any of you guys had experience or opinions of either of these machines. both are '04 models, 27hp kohler w/ 60" decks. toro is exactly $100 more than lazer z. same dealer. does anyone have experience concerning quality of cut of the two decks? i know the toro has adjustable baffle; dealer told me that lazer z blades disperse clippings better than toro. other than that, does anyone know how these things work in the field? thanks for any help you can provide. think spring!!!

NCSULandscaper
02-26-2004, 08:02 PM
People on here have different opinions about both machines. Best thing you can do is demo both of them and make the decision on your own since it is the same dealer that has both machines.

Green Pastures
02-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Toro and Exmark are the same thing with the exception of the decks.

If you mulch more often go with the exmark.

If you side discharge more often go with the Toro.

JMHO
YMMV

Demo both to be sure.

HazellLawnCare
02-26-2004, 09:08 PM
What if you are bagging all the time? The new Toro 3 bag collection system seems to be almost the exact same as the ultravac?

cecilcountylco
02-26-2004, 09:15 PM
I also saw in the toro literature that the Z500 deck is offset to the trim side (left). This feature is only available in the LazerXP, if I'm not mistaken.

lawnman_scott
02-26-2004, 09:18 PM
I have the 04 lazer 27horsepower kohler 52inch. It is great. Cuts excellent, i have had it in some long weedy grass, and it went through it great. The maintenance is a breeze. Sealed bearings in the spindels, Packed bearings in the forks. Oil is very easy to change, not hard to get to is what i mean. And lots of aftermarket parts. I would not think twice about it, and go with Exmark.

BSDeality
02-26-2004, 09:47 PM
exmark is owned by toro. they're the same machine from the deck back. the toro's have a HUGE re-inforced plate (1/2"x1.5") all around the deck.

Tonyr
02-26-2004, 10:40 PM
I just bought a Toro Z588E, EFI, 60'' turbo force deck, side discharges fantastic, even in long thick stuff, e.g when I demoed it I found 2' tall rubbish, thick and damp, at a walk speed this deck would throw clippings a good 12 ft, even 16'.

Finer work it sprays out with smaller clippings and throws just as far, playing with the baffle meant in my 1.5 hour play meant in this thick stuff the mower could cut and not bog, reducing the baffle made it work more but spread the clippings better.

Mulching....well I only have had high lifts on all week, mulches fantastic, love to see real mulching blades on! Mulch is fibrous clippings shreaded over and over, not a worry, even in taller thicker stuff.

The 28hp efi kohler is very powerful, full of grunt.

The opperating position is excellent, suspension seat, vertually indestructable chassis and 7 guage deck.

A ton of fun to mow with after my front deck seen to the left, it was good, this newy is great!

And front forks only need greasing 1 time per year, everything else is every 25 hours.

Even a purpose built chalf guard to protect the flywheel fan!

As far as performance of the deck, I'm extremely impressed.

Mower build and design, excellent, very beafy!

Deck is offset to the left for trim yes, this alone saved me a few hours of trimming this week so far, very well thought out...well this is the model range they built to put them up with exmark, hustler.

Now the bit most would leave out...this new mower which I officially pay for this arvo is broken down on my trailer, we are hoping it is a dirty feul filter, these engines have a sensor thing that detects proplems, so we'll know later.

But this is nothing against the machine or model, just the electrics protecting everything.

Toro and Exmark are very good, yes Toro owns Exmark but are still running as 2 seperate companies...but I think some idea sharing is going on....look at the shape of the new turbo force deck....

You could get a thousand replies to your thread, only way is demo, but you are talking about 2 market leaders here:)

cecilcountylco
02-27-2004, 02:46 AM
Tony,
Thanks for the info. As for the two being the same machine, it's my understanding that although Toro owns eXmark, the Lazer Z is still made to eXmark's specs. That doesn't stop Toro from copy designs, since they do own the company, at least that's how it was explained to me. They do look a lot alike, the ZMaster seems to sit maybe a little higher (different seat). I will demo each. Just looking for the best cut.

odin
02-27-2004, 03:30 AM
i have a lazer z hp and i have used full sized lazer z 's in my former partnership and i have a toro 557 60 inch turbo force deck..discharges excellent ..and id give the edge in cutting quality to the toro 557 by a hair over the exmarks.
Like tony said the 7 gauge steel deck and the frame seem indestructable..couple minor things about the toro ...the way the drive wheels are its harder to see the drive tires when makeing turns...the hour counter you have to raise the seat to see it.
either mower exmark or toro 500 series ... id recommend highly ..

cush
02-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Just ordered a new Z500 60" w 27hp Kohler $7000 Triple soft bag kit $1950 Stripping kit $120 and re cycler kit $200. This was quite a bit less than a comparable exmark. Should be in next week so I tell ya how I like it. Both great machines though.

chevyman1
02-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Neither!!!! Ferris 3000zIS! is the better one

Shady Brook
02-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Cush

How did you get such a great deal on the mower? Is it a demo? I may be willing to drive to Idaho for a deal like that! :eek: :D

Jay

GreenMonster
02-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Shady Brook
Cush

How did you get such a great deal on the mower? Is it a demo? I may be willing to drive to Idaho for a deal like that! :eek: :D

Jay

Yeah. Over 8k here.:( :cry: :eek: :confused:

Sam-Ohio
02-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Tonyr:

You have the Kohler EFI engine on your Toro. When that engine quits and won't restart , look for a ground wire for the elec. fuel inj system to be the likely culprit.

If this new unit gives you any more problems, take it to your servicing dealer, and ask him to read up on the service bulletins from Kohler on the fix for the intermittent problems in the EFI unit.
Kohler is blaming poorly connected, or painted ground wire connections for the majority of their problems.

Tonyr
02-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks Sam,

had dealer here yesterday, there is a problem with the "brain box" and yes as a last resort he said he would work on seeing if the earth wire was a problem. The problem is he turned up late in the arvo 1.5 hours from his shop and didn't bring his hand held fault finder thing, the red button on the dash has a sequences of flashes that tell what the exact problem is....pretty clever stuff.

We found the brain box had moisure in the plug, though there is no wires feeding in from above, and it did rain a couple of days prior but I can't see how rain could get into a sealed plastic case with the plug on the bottom, dealer thinks this has causes a drama and is calling kohler on monday if the computer thing doesn't help him fix it.

We are half expecting a new box, but these are outdoor machines, the design or bosch brain box should be weather or moisture proof, he wants to work this out with kohler before anything drastic is done, can't have a brand new machine down every time it rains.....that problem aside, I truly love the mower, great in every way, except when changing all the baffles from mulch to side discharge or vise versa, I think toro could of made this process a lot less painfull.

Thanks again Sam.

btw, both my mowers now, the toro z355 which I just traded and my newy are back at the dealers, I'm totally stranded now, as we don't have contracts here when I have down time if I am out more than 2 days I lose them, no true regulars or loyalty here, so what I bust my butt getting I can lose over a simple matter of companies releasing products before throughly testing them in all adverse conditions. hardly seems fair, $24000AUD this rig costs me, and if I can get a buck a minute I'm lucky, and lease payments are 14%, so a big breakdown like this costs me a lot of income and dead lease payment, I won't get it back till late next week all going well. Crikey I hope this isn't a lemon, times are tough enough already. Payment of my 1st lease payment and I don't even have the machine on my trailer! Something wrong with that picture :)

cush
02-28-2004, 03:16 PM
Must have given me a good deal since I bought the bagger mulcher and striper??? Another place that sold Walkers said the TORO were a piece of crap, and they were even a TORO dealer. They wanted over 9k just for the mower.

Looked at the EFI but it scared me how water could easily get in the harnesses and was open to the elements. I don't know why TORO and Exmark don't make some sort of cover to go over the engines so you can feel comfortable mowing in the rain.