PDA

View Full Version : New Husky Hydro...

ksland
02-26-2004, 06:41 PM
The mower looks very well designed, very heavy guage steel. Just looking it has great small thought out features like the front caster zerks have welded steel around them to prevent them from breaking off. The tracking control is adjusted simple by one knob under the switch panel. The deck belt cover has 5 wingnuts instead of the usual 3 to prevent vibes, they also use rubber coated washers. The controls are very easy and soft on the hands, the front spacers for the caster wheels can be changed without removing the whole caster like on all others I have seen.

ksland
02-26-2004, 06:43 PM
another pic aaaaaaa

ksland
02-26-2004, 06:47 PM
oops, sorry..........

Eric 1
02-26-2004, 06:59 PM
One word...WOW looks great i hope you get great use out of it.
I am looking at one now but not that moddle most likly a belt drive.

p.s. all that equip looks so new, esp the two husky trimmers.

NCSULandscaper
02-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Husky is making some very nice equipment. Because its fairly new, not many people have given them a shot yet. I bet within the next few years they will be a huge equipment competitor in the landscaping and lawn care industry. I own alot of husqvarnas handheld equip and i am extremely satisfied with the overall performance.

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 07:04 PM
I USE ALL HUSKY EQUIPMENT, SO FAR SO GOOD, GREAT WARRANTY ON ALL NEW EQUIPMENT. I DONT HAVE ANY COMPLAINTS

ksland
02-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Eric 1
One word...WOW looks great i hope you get great use out of it.
I am looking at one now but not that moddle most likly a belt drive.

p.s. all that equip looks so new, esp the two husky trimmers.

Probably looks new because I just bought the 2 husky trimmers, mower and one PB-650 blower yesterday :D

specialtylc
02-26-2004, 11:29 PM
The husky W.B. i looked at a dealer recently looked pretty good. I really liked the single handle to adjust the deck height . Like most of the Z riders .

brucec32
02-26-2004, 11:56 PM
I checked the floating deck model out last year and it does have a lot of great features and looks solid. I didn't get to drive it much but liked the way the neutral lock on their non-pistol steering system was easy to use, the height adjustment was quick and close-at-hand, they had a 42" deck available, and electric start available.

No dealers nearby here though and I haven't heard much feedback on their actual performance or reliability.

Envy Lawn Service
02-27-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by specialtylc
The husky W.B. i looked at a dealer recently looked pretty good. I really liked the single handle to adjust the deck height . Like most of the Z riders .

Yeah I can't figure out for the life of me why more people don't use that WB.......

Also, I hate to bust anyone's bubble....but Husky commercial mowers are not 'new'.....just new paint and stickers. They are built by Yazoo/Kees.

Envy Lawn Service
02-27-2004, 02:40 AM
Oh, by the way you'll love that 48" deck. It's the same one that's on my Z.

<----- :cool: SWEET!

ksland
02-27-2004, 08:02 AM
It is not an actual Yazoo kees Husky owns them now and made a new product between the two of them. YK looks the same now as the Husky, yes but Yazoo changed their design via Husky

ksland
02-27-2004, 08:03 AM
It is not an actual Yazoo kees Husky owns them now and made a new product between the two of them. YK looks the same now as the Husky, yes but Yazoo changed their design via Husky

Oh and they also bought bluebird, their thatchers and aerators wreek of bluebird. But they have made some changes.

mag360
02-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Ksland---you are gonna love those trimmers. Keep us posted on the performance of the mower---I may throw a husky on my trailer this year as my husky dealer seems to be willing to put more effort into keeping me happy than my scag dealer. The large frame ZTR's seem to be put together pretty well.

GLS
02-27-2004, 08:27 PM
the front spacers for the caster wheels can be changed without removing the whole caster like on all others I have seen.

Looks like a nice machine.

Can you explain how the spacers can be changed without taking the casters off? That would be very convenient.

ksland
02-27-2004, 09:30 PM
There is a groove machined into the caster pivot shaft and the spacers are C shaped. You just line up the thin machined out part of the pivot shaft with the opening in the C spacer and it slides out.

Envy Lawn Service
02-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by ksland

Oh and they also bought bluebird, their thatchers and aerators wreek of bluebird. But they have made some changes.

Hey man, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers there. If you'll notice, I run Y/K so of course I didn't mean anything bad about it. I was just pointing out that the mowers are Y/K design and Y/K builds them.

The facts are that Electrolux wants to "own" the lawn & garden industry, including the commercial side. So they bought AYP to build the homeowner stuff (lawn tractors and push mowers ect. under Husq & craftsman names). They also bought Husqavarna for brand recognition (saws) and for good commercial 2 cycle products.

Their idea was to take over the commercial market with a one stop shop brand for everything you need. Husqvarna was the most marketable brand name they owned and the only that had a chance in the commercial arena. But there was one big problem. The only commercial mower design they had was a european style....the Swedish Rider.

Since the commercial market here was totally different, they needed an american style commercial mower. So they picked what they thought was the best (Y/K) and just bought someone's designs and operation to build them.

At that point, which was October 1999, Electrolux bought Yazoo/Kees Power Equipment as the first member of the new Husqvarna Turf Care Company. In August, 2000, they bought BlueBird International to expand their product offerings. They merged the three companies to form The Turf Care Group.

Bottom line is, Electrolux wanted in, so they bought their way in, period. Husqvarna (name & 2 cycle stuff) Y/K (commercial mowers & power rakes) BlueBird (catchers, specialty equip & accessories).

So as far as your mower, it's of seasoned tried and true Y/K design and construction. To my knowledge only 2 Z's and 2 WB's have been designed since the merger. In order, the Husq QL WB, the Husq iZ, the Y/K floating deck Kutter hydro, and the Y/K Mega Max/Husq BAM 3cyl Z. But they all share the same Y/K deck design and deck carrier. The iZ and the big moster Z are both really just alterations of the Y/K Max 2 platform. One shrunk, the other stretched.

Anyways, that's the history lesson for the day and the equipment is completely awesome, nomatter which color it's painted. They got the good equipment part down and the multi-line marketing thing down. Now what the REALLY NEED BAD is Exmark/Hustler caliber service, parts availability and support from the factory all the way down to the dealer. Believe me, that they don't have!

So my suggestion is to make sure your dealer is golden and that there are multiple sources of in-stock parts if you buy either color.

Envy Lawn Service
02-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Oh, by the way, the mulch kit for the 48" is second to none! The anit-blowout baffle helps some with that Exmark-like blowout (hint-hint). The OEM highlift mulchers sharpened to the center (Excalibers) mulch best. The supplied OEM higlifts mulch or discharge OK too and produce a lot of lift with that unique "swooping" lift angle. They have an OEM gator too, which is just a genuine gator blade and they do alright too.

I am going to try Raptors, Exmark notched foils & Exmark wavy mulch blades in the future. Let me know if you are interested in how they work or if you have any deck related questions at all and I'll be glad to tell you anything I know.

Enjoy your new mower!!!!! You're gonna love the deck, especially if you mulch!

gogetter
02-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Damn ksland, went on a little shopping spree huh?

I'm curious, I see you got the pistol grips. Were the other controls not an option for this mower? Or did you just prefer pistol grips?

Stuff looks great. Wanna share what you paid for the mower?

ksland
02-28-2004, 08:07 AM
Gogetter..$3599 for the mower. There is also other controls out now, I guess they have had for 2 years or so called ETS which looks pretty neat but I like fancy controls such as ECS, ETS, T-Bar on belt models because the pistol grips on belt drives are a killer sometimes. Plus, My foreman that will use this mower mostly is use to pistols and likes them. I may buy a 36" belt with the ETS again, it looks really neat and they offer twin cylinder 13hp on in and 15hp twin on the 48 belt ETS. The controls on this mower are very easy on the hands and require little effort to operate. I had a 2001 Lesco Hydro with the same motor that operated and controlled like a tank. It was horrible on the hands and shoulders. Not sure what it was about that mower. It also seemed like the machine was 10 feet long.

Envy, thanks for the history lesson. I am pretty sure husky make a couple changes of their own besides colors and stickers though, Maybe they didn't on my machine. Doesn't really matter because the YK mowers have a great reputation anyhow. I did read about Husky on their website and only found parts of what you cut and pasted here, where did you find all that info?

brucec32
02-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Interesting information on the background of those companies.

It's a shame you can't find that ind of stuff in lawn/landscape trade publications, at least as far as I can tell. The mags I get like Pro tend to lean towards a lot of fluff profile pieces where the owners spout off cliche's about how to be sucessful, embarrassingly basic business advice ("be sure you don't hire a bookeeper who rips you off"...."give your employees incentives...etc") , and articles on how to use special laws to hire immigrant labor.

Not a peep from them on mowing/landscaping techniques, no equipment reviews, no articles on the differences in mower types, etc. Then again, why am I expecting more from at least one magazine edited by someone who's never even been in the business themselves?