PDA

View Full Version : if you would have started sooner

pines
02-26-2004, 07:43 PM
in all honesty, if you would have started sooner where do you think you would be? the same? bigger operation? more trucks, tools etc., already have upgraded to the market you want to be in? The reason I ask is when I was in High School and College I worked for a landscaper who had a small operation out of his property consisting of 2 acres with his two sons..........well twenty years later I am starting as a small part time out of my house like he did and I still keep in touch with him and his sons. I ask the father recently how old he was when he was when he started. He said, " 37, that was my biggest mistake, I should have started sooner. " That company now operates out of a 150 acre piece of land with separate nursery and landscape operations. I was blown away when he told me what age he started.

SodKing
02-26-2004, 07:44 PM
If I started smarter I would have started a coffee shop!

pines
02-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by SodKing
If I started smarter I would have started a coffee shop!

in Amsterdam?

levellawncare
02-26-2004, 07:49 PM
I'm 24 years old and I'm just getting started on my own. I worked for someone else for a couple of years before joining the Air Force. I have served 4 years now and have chose to get out and start my own lawn care business. Hope I haven't waited too late.

bobbygedd
02-26-2004, 07:51 PM
if i started at 24, i'd be a millionair today. no doubt

levellawncare
02-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Hope I reach that status

NCSULandscaper
02-26-2004, 08:04 PM
I started at 21, just a month after i graduated college. Didnt want to start anything earlier because i wanted to concentrate on my education so i could be a step above my competition.

bobbygedd
02-26-2004, 08:13 PM
i have teeth and the ability to speak in complete sentences, i AM a step above my competition.

STAN1366
02-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
i have teeth and the ability to speak in complete sentences, i AM a step above my competition.

That was beautiful Bobby, simply beautiful!

Let it Grow
02-26-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm 24 as well. This is my second year, and I feel real good about where I am. I started during my last quarter of college, and don't regret it a bit. I definitely feel blessed by God.

I can definitely see myself being a millionare before I retire (A college proffessor once told me "it's not hard to make money"...I believe that!), but remember there's more to it than money!!!

gogetter
02-29-2004, 01:02 AM
It's funny you bring this up. Unfortunately I often regret not starting when I was younger (I know, I shouldn't).

I started at 32. I wasted a lot of years working for peanuts when I was younger (but I always worked!).

I'd be SO much further along if I started when I was 16 or so.

I originally got interested when I was about 21 and was at work watching an LCO cutting the neighboring business one day.
I said to my co-worker that we should do that part time on the weekends. He wasn't interested and I didn't have the funds or 'know how' to start on my own.
So it got put on my "back burner" until just a couple years ago. My job was moving to a new location which was further then I wanted to drive to work each day, so I left and jumped right into the lawn business with the help and inspiration of Lawnsite!!

Man, I'd be so much further along!:(

ej Landscaping
02-29-2004, 01:24 AM
I'm 25 and this is my first year in the business. It is nice to read this thread because well...I am a college grad and I sometimes get asked why after spending all of that time in school do you want to get into a business that doesn't require an "education". I just laugh because I know how much "know how" you must have to do quality work. I have met far more intelligent people in this business than I have in other industries

launboy
02-29-2004, 01:44 AM
i m 24 and i have been doing this since i graduated highschool (18) so about 6 years. this is my first year in buisness for myself fulltime.. i kick myself all the time for not starting sooner. but i am thankful to have worked for to great landcape companys. my first guy i worked for was a large company in the area but a shady buisnessman, you had to race the other employees to the bank so you could paid. he was alright though.. the second was a real good buisness man really has his sh!t together.. so i got a first hand experience on what to do and what not to do...so now nothing left to but work my butt off even harder.. its great

Olylawnboy
02-29-2004, 03:50 AM
I'm just wondering here. For those of you that have taken up this profession after going through college, how can you justify this after someone (parents ect) has spent so much $ on your education? I'm not putting it down but shoot, If I had to spend 60 grand to put you through school for 4 years I'd be kind of pissed to see you go down this road. Not to say it's a bad road :) But heck, the first years tuition would have set you up in business in the first place. Just wondering what you might think as I have a six year old and a eight month old to think about. Got any ideas to share?

NCSULandscaper
02-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Olylawnboy
I'm just wondering here. For those of you that have taken up this profession after going through college, how can you justify this after someone (parents ect) has spent so much $ on your education? I'm not putting it down but shoot, If I had to spend 60 grand to put you through school for 4 years I'd be kind of pissed to see you go down this road. Not to say it's a bad road :) But heck, the first years tuition would have set you up in business in the first place. Just wondering what you might think as I have a six year old and a eight month old to think about. Got any ideas to share?

Easy, you go and pay for it out of your own money. The education is one of the things to help you start your business, esp is the horticultural side and business. Why would you be pissed to see your kid go down this road? i say 6 figures a year isnt a bad trade for a college education.

Let it Grow
02-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Hey oly...My parents are glad that I'm doing what I'm doing. Even if they weren't I wouldn't care. For one I paid (and will keep paying for many years) for my college. And two I'm doing what I love. Most people work dead-end jobs for low pay and have no time to do what they want, and live without an ounce of passion.
I have found what I love to do. Many nights I can't even get to sleep because I'm so excited to get up and go to work in the morning. I can afford to pay myself well, and take time off when I need it.
I'm living my dream, and I will continue doing that for my whole life. No amount of education can teach you how to live with passion, and love your career. That is something you have to find for yourself, and once you do don't let anything hold you back.

SodKing
02-29-2004, 07:39 PM
I'm just wondering here. For those of you that have taken up this profession after going through college, how can you justify this after someone (parents ect) has spent so much $ on your education? I'm not putting it down but shoot, If I had to spend 60 grand to put you through school for 4 years I'd be kind of pissed to see you go down this road. Not to say it's a bad road But heck, the first years tuition would have set you up in business in the first place. Just wondering what you might think as I have a six year old and a eight month old to think about. Got any ideas to share?

I am the only one of my friends actually using my degree. (Plant Biology) I am also the second in my family to go to college. Believe me I thought I would end up in a lab designing pesticides but when I started looking to the commercial side of the business it was equally as interesting. My company is one of 7 business owned by my family. When I first talked about starting the business we thought it would be good to own a company that operates outside the normal realm of the other 6 companies (supermarket supply/service) In the next 10 or so years we hope to get into the golf course ownership side of the industry. So my parents are proud of my graduation from the university, proud of my accomplishments on the business side, and look forward to the future.

For your children, a secondary and post graduate degree are absolutely necessary to insure their success in whatever endeavor they choose. When I went to school a Bachelors was absolutely necessary, now its a Masters or better.

Start saving

Aaron Marshall
02-29-2004, 11:12 PM
I am 21 years old and a current college student as well as starting my own lawn care business this fall. I have mixed feelings on the issue. Mowing lawns is something I have wanted to do since i was in second grade, and I am very proud of what I have going right now. I know that the college degree is not needed for the job, but I am learning some things that are applying. I am more or less getting the degree to "fall back on." I also think this is a prime time to try it out, I don't have to put food on the plate for a family, so I can really play around and see what I want. The only problem is that I am soo busy, I am a full time student, trying to run the business, and also on the University swim team. whew.... but I have found this site to be ultra helpful in my ventures, so thank you!

DUSTYCEDAR
02-29-2004, 11:28 PM
i never had the money to go to college so i went into business to make money and pay my way.
i took a few courses here and there to get what i needed but i wish i had studied more and drank less when i was younger.
it seems the older u get the bigger the load u have to carry gets and the less time u have to study and learn new things.
so learn all u can u never know when u will need it later.