PDA

View Full Version : 21 Inch: Two or Four Cycle?

MOturkey
02-26-2004, 08:51 PM
I'll likely be in the market for a new 21 inch mower this spring. I know I won't use one a whole lot, but the old Craftsman in the garage has seen better days. I don't mind spending a reasonable amount on a good mower and have perused some of the existing threads looking for input. I've noted several times the mention of 2 cycle engines on hilly terrain, supposedly because of lubrication problems with 4 cycles. Is this really as much of a problem with non-pressurized systems as these thoughts imply? One of the intended uses of a new 21 would be for some ditch areas too steep or small for my Gravely 250Z, but quicker to mow than string trim.

My local dealer handles Gravely, Honda, and Lawnboy. Lawnboy would be the logical choice, in 2 cycle. Which would you buy? And, if your choice is Lawnboy, would you go for their commercial mower or another model? Thanks.

dishboy
02-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Honda commercial in a four cycle. Lube on hills has not affected mine at all. Tall and wet grass performance is unsurpassed in my opinion. It cost more but saves a ton in mix gas. The Hydro is bullitproof.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-26-2004, 09:27 PM
I have a lawnboy and i quess its the home owner (solid green) no orange, It has served me well and what i have read in other threads is that if you want one you better get one quick, they have ceased making the 2 cycle or will in the very near future.

sildoc
02-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by dishboy
Honda commercial in a four cycle. Lube on hills has not affected mine at all. Tall and wet grass performance is unsurpassed in my opinion. It cost more but saves a ton in mix gas. The Hydro is bullitproof.

Yep!

specialtylc
02-26-2004, 11:12 PM
The 4 cycle oil starvation thing is a thing of the past. Most all mower engines now have pressure lube. Unless maybe you bought a $150 wal-mart special. I have run Kaw,Honda ,Briggs on hills so steep you cant walk on them for 8 yrs. Never had engine go bad.I like the Honda HRC216 hydro. What ever you get be sure it has metal wheels with bearings,and hi quailty adjusters.JDcommercial and toro wheel adjusters didnt last 1/3 as long as the hondas for me.Check that wheel setup on the gravely before you buy. Also gravely only powers one wheel.Dont go up hills very good.

jajwrigh
02-26-2004, 11:33 PM
My favorite 21 inch I have ever used was a 21" lawnboy 2 cycle...damn nice mower! I have never had any problems with a 4 cycle on hills either.

gusbuster
02-27-2004, 02:03 AM
The era of a 2 cycle mower is gone. They are not allowed to make new 2 cycle engines as of 2006 and already just about all name brand companies are of 4 cycle now. The reason you won't see any new 2 cycle mowers is they can not comply with emission requirements.