PDA

View Full Version : Stick Edger: Straight or Curved Shaft?

MOturkey
02-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Ok, guys, bear with me. I'm going to ask one more stupid question. The last major piece of equipment I need to buy is an edger. Probably won't use it a whole lot as edging seems to be a non-discovered art around here, at least on lower end residential work, and from what I've noticed, most commercial as well. Using one might get me one up on some of the lowballers in the area. And, yes, I know you can edge with a trimmer, but after doing so myself, it generally looks considerably like something done with a double-shovel plow.;)

Anyhow, straight or curved shaft? Dealer recommended straight, but I noticed a thread or two where the comment was made it is a little easier to use the curved. Merely a personal preference, or is the straight shaft more reliable/trouble free? Thanks.

rookiemower
02-26-2004, 08:15 PM
i would go for the straight shaft most curved shaft equipment is ment for home owners i have an echo and it works great i just wish it had some more power

captaingreen
02-26-2004, 08:15 PM
My vote is for straight shaft. There isn't as much stress on the shaft if it's running straight to the head, it will last longer in my opinion. I have a Stihl FS 85, I bought it as a brushcutter, converted it to a trimmer last year, then after buying a Shindaiwa, I bought an edger attatchment for it which is its main purpose now. I'll only use straight shafts.

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 08:18 PM
I only use the stick edger if I have a lot of edging to do. On residential I never use a stick edger, I just feel I am losing time by going to truck to get edger, then going back to get weedeater. I seen guys that can't use a weedeater to edge, but with some practise it's not that hard.

I didn't know they made a str8 shaft and curved shaft, guess that goes to show how much I use the edger

j fisher
02-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Get the straight shaft. I made the mistake of getting a curved shaft, and I hate it.

Cut 2 Please
02-26-2004, 08:32 PM
I have two curved shaft edgers but that is all that Echo offers. When I have to replace them I will buy the Stihl FC110 straight shaft.
One other idea you might want to consider is The Edgit for your trimmmer. www.edgit.com It works great once you have an edge established. It also seems to not kick as much debri up as the stock guard on the trimmer.

Runner
02-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Go with the straight edger. Save your string for what it was meant for - trimming grass, not flinging stones and dirt. I don't vare what anuone says. The best thing is an edger. A string trimmer in NOT going to cut through an inch and a half of soil to cut an inch edge off. If you don't have an edger at this time, then buy a wheeled one for your first. You'll need the power, sometime, and for long and larger jobs, a wheeled edger is just so much easier to use. Where a stickedger shines, is maintaining edges, and the ability to get it off the truck and working quickly. Now, that's not to say that a stickedger won't CUT a thick edge, because it will work efficiently to a degree. A wheeled edger has muck more cutting power for the initial edges, and going through the deep stuff. I hope this helps.

Gilla Gorilla
02-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Runner are you saying that I should hang onto my three wheeled edger even though I got a stick edger for this season
becuase of the time savings with a stick edger???

I have it sold but if I need to I can keep it. It is paid for so I guess I should hang onto it now.

j fisher
02-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Gilla Gorilla,
Your last response was directed at Runner, but here's my opinion. A stick edger is great for maintaining an edge. In my experiance, it is quicker and more accuarant than using a string trimmer. You can pretty much edge as fast as you can walk for maintaining. On an edge that is thick and overgrown, a 3 wheeled edger. preferabably,With a 5 hp engine is much more effecient. Once the edge has been established, you can esaily maintain it with a stick edger.

tiedeman
02-26-2004, 10:27 PM
I like the straight shaft better

Royalslover
02-27-2004, 12:23 AM
I've been mowing fulltime for 16 years and you couldn't pay me to use a straight shaft. With a curved the rotation is clockwise allowing you to walk forward(left to right). You can use it one handed to trim curbs and flip it to edge. I put a straight edge on everything and have never owned an edger. I prefer the Shindawa because it's got the longest shaft of the curveds.

odin
02-27-2004, 12:26 AM
straight shaft..the sthil 85 is excellent ..the way the guard on the cutting head is mud doesnt pack up like our curved shaft echo does on wet days.

soccerlawn
02-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Go with the Straight shaft without a doubt, a lot better buy.

topher924
02-27-2004, 04:15 PM
STAIGHT SHAFT EDGER WHEN I USE ON NORMALLY I USE THE WEEDEATER

PMLAWN
02-27-2004, 06:12 PM
My vote straight shaft. Also go open face so dirt has someplace to go. I work on a lot of 1 time clean ups for Real-Estate agents on their listings and the big 3 wheel kind works on upkept edges. Stick edger works on your weekly maintance stuff.

Pape's Landscape Maintenance
02-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Get a little wonder xtra edger, it will be the best $450.00 you'll ever spend.

Steve

BW4486
02-27-2004, 07:32 PM
I like straight shaft .the curved shaft use a cable drive instead of a solid shaft.

Stihl FC85

65hoss
02-28-2004, 08:55 AM
FC85 or the new FC110 Stihl.