PDA

View Full Version : I dont understand!

GreenMachine102
02-26-2004, 09:49 PM
How can you guys get away with charging these extremely high prices, like 60 or 80 dollars an hour, or $25 just for putting the gate on the trailer down??? COme on!!!!!! You cant get away with that stuff here in MD, you'll be out of work fast! Please explain? I am not a scrub, but my biggest property is 70 bucks, and takes me about 2 and a half hours to do, and I think 70 is fair. Some people on this site would charge over 100 for this job, I don't know how you do it, I got people complaining with these prices! I enjoy cutting grass, and in 2 weeks am getting a 27hp lazer, I have 20 accounts ranging from 10-70 dollars, and I am happy with the money I make, unlike some people I am not trying to get over on people!

BTW-- I cut grass part-time, I work with a HVAC contractor for the half of the week!

troblandscape
02-26-2004, 09:55 PM
Are you fully insured do you pay taxes? If so how are you making money with those prices? If I had a lawn that took me two hours, it would be at least a 150$ lawn.:confused:

MudslinginFX4
02-26-2004, 09:55 PM
Well it could be something as simple as the area you are living in? How much are people making, and how much do the houses cost where you are? I am one of those people who get around $100 an hour, but most of the houses I cut are well over $400,000 and some well over a million dollars. I am in an area that is increasingly growing and has a lot of big businesses that pay a lot based here.

j fisher
02-26-2004, 10:02 PM
I almost responded to your question, but decided against it.

Jeff Fisher Lawn Care
Insured,tax paying, full time company.

metro-hp_48
02-26-2004, 10:03 PM
Get "over on people". lol. When you get that 27H.P. Lazer, let me know how much it cost you to run it for an hour. Much less all the other expenses. (BTW- how long does it take you to service that 10.00 yard?) Been getting 1.00 per min. for a long time. Would NEVER drop my gate for less than 30.00, and would be gone in 30 mins. or less.

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Are you getting paid driving to the customers house? Are you getting paid when you are talking to a customer on the phone? What about at the end of the month when you are mailing out invoices? No.....So you better charge more than $75 an hour or keep your day job

BrianK10
02-26-2004, 10:29 PM
Drive on up I-95 and I'll show you how its done when I go do an estimate. Maryland is a gold-mine, you just have to pick your areas right. payup

Brian

lawnman_scott
02-26-2004, 10:37 PM
If thats all you charge in a place like Cambridge MD then you should have about 200 accounts, not 20. P.S. when you leave mommy and daddy's house and are out on your own we will see how you feel about $28 per hour not including drive time, down time, ect. What does it come to $15 pefore expences?

metro-hp_48
02-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Really, I always figure that people see me (or anyone else) out making alot more money per hour than they ever dreamed of making. (much less all the $ and time ...as in 8-12 years of higher education, to try to get to that plato) In my case, they see only that side of it. It is a FULL time job. ........ Takes alot of work/time to run for an hour, over all, and I got to get payed for everything...Too much like work to not get paid.

workaholic
02-26-2004, 10:44 PM
If you plan on buying a lazer or any type commerical mower and your prices are what you say they are, I feel sorry for you but thats your business. Must of us that have been in this business are professionals, pay taxes, workers comp, have employees, liability insurance which is what is called overhead. It is not about getting over on people. Some lco do work in upscale areas and are very competitive in there prices. Look at this way, if an upscale client called you and wanted a price on just mowing there lawn and say it was 10000 sq ft. and they also called someone more professional, educated and you bid it at 25.00 and the pro. bid it at say 45.00 if this client has had past lco. more then likely the pro would get the job. so continue bidding cheaper rates and i bet down the road you will either be out of the business or bidding higher then you have in the past. dont take this the wrong way im not bringing you down, but ten bucks get serious....

Gabriel Turf
02-26-2004, 10:45 PM
Qoute from your previous thread says it all:

"I have a 6hp craftsman 21" push mower, rear bagger, and it is 6 yrs."

So,

"How can you guys get away with charging these extremely high prices?"

Because we are professionals.

metro-hp_48
02-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Oops..forgot. Really, I wish you well. Just follow your heart, and do what you think is right. Your the one playing that hand of cards.
(don't fight a 2000.00 chicken, on a 50.00 bet....... don't hurt that 8K+ Lazer on that 10.00 yard...) But Really, Good luck. Seriously GreenMachine.

troblandscape
02-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Gabriel Turf
Qoute from your previous thread says it all:

"I have a 6hp craftsman 21" push mower, rear bagger, and it is 6 yrs."

So,

"How can you guys get away with charging these extremely high prices?"

Because we are professionals.

:D

heritage
02-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Green Machine 102,
Professional lawn care companies often get $60-$100 per man hr. or more sometimes and it's not only because they have more overhead than part time grass cutters like yourself.
Professionals offer a MUCH HIGHER level of expertise which will mean much better service. Here is just one example:

Mrs jones hires a part timer to cut the grass and the part timer has no idea about turfgrass diseases or potential insects problems....or even the species of grass they are cutting most of the time.......Well it turns out that the lawn gets hit with an insect that is killing the lawn but the part timer thinks that its NORMAL for the lawn to be brown because it has gone dormant......it cools down and the rains come but the lawn is still brown yet the neighbors lawn is green and your client wants to know why. Do YOU KNOW????? The customer ends up spending more $$$$$ than they would have if they hired a professional, as the pro would have been watching for any potential problems on a weekly basis. Now they are doing a renovation of his/her dead lawn because they hired a part timer and guess what....They got what they paid for.

Professionals charge higher prices and they are worth every penny...and the smart clients know this AND they rarely if ever hire part timers that are not professionals because THEY CAN APPRECIATE THE VALUE OF PROFESSIONALISM.

Mabey now you will understand.

Hey by the way.....what does your heating and cooling charge for a service call???

Pete D.

lawnman_scott
02-26-2004, 11:04 PM
I think your lying, i was reading past posts and you were talking about your biggest yard. Said it takes 2 hours on the rider, 1 on push mower, and 1 1/2 to weed eat. Its this $70 yard isnt it? 4 1/2 hours for $70. Your just trying to exxagerate how much you make to impress us arent you?

tiedeman
02-26-2004, 11:25 PM
to run a business today it is so expensive. My liability insurance just went up $143 dollars, and my workers comp is going to go up about $225 in May. Not to mention my unemployment is going to jump up about 2 to 3%.

brucec32
02-27-2004, 01:30 AM
1. It's silly to compare "per hour" rates w/o comparing operator ability and most importantly, equipment. A guy on a 60" ZTR is gonna outproduce one with a 36" belt drive wb. And believe it or not, operator skill and experience can really add to productivity. I've watched guys who are certainly not dummies work and can double their pace, because they simply haven't learned the tricks of the trade yet. The sad thing is so many consider labor a commodity, in that one guy on a mower or trimmer is the same as the next. They're not.

2. There is a lot of BS spread around here about rates and income and such, usually after the poster has had 6 or 7 beers and is unable to realize how wacky their claims sound. ("I make 100 grand a year mowing lawns part time in the summer...blah blah blah") So take it with a grain of salt.

3. Markets vary widely. Lots of affluent people with busy time consuming corporate jobs and no free time plus few young blue collar people with willingness to work hard = high rates.

Few affluent people with lots of laid off or underemployed worker types in a stagnant economic market = low rates.

4. Apples to oranges. Some guys throw out number and forget to mention that it's for a crew, not a solo operator. Or they compare a "time on site" hourly rate for a single top producing property to your average rate, which might include delays, bad weather days, breakdowns, etc.

5. Finally, I suspect that some people are deliberately posting high or low hourly rate numbers to demoralize new competition. Low if they want to discourage you from ever starting a business, implying that you will be poor if you do. High if they want to make you feel like you're incompetent and can't compete. "whatcha mean you don't gross $1,000/day? My crews of 2 10 y/o girls do that much."

brucec32
02-27-2004, 01:49 AM
Puhleese....

Customers don't care about your overhead. They don't pay more because you have more overhead. GM has more overhead than Dodge, due to poor labor agreements. I'm not going to pay more for a Chevy than a Dodge pickup because of that. Supply an demand forces determine the price, not your overhead, all other things being the same.

As for expertise....might be true. Might not. I certainly think that some of the solo part time guys out there have more "expertise" than some of the big companies out there with $8/hour laborers with constant turnover. The guys mowing the apartment I lived in temporarily were absolute butchers, and they worked for one of the biggest companies I know of.

Tru Green Chemlawn is one of the biggest companies in the biz. You telling us they're better? Ha. That's a laugh. Anyone who can read the back of a bag of fertilizer properly has a step up on many of their "applicators".

And if you check I think you'll find that bigger companies have economies of scale and labor advantages that a small solo operator can't compete with. On labor intensive jobs those small guys can't compete.

So I can't agree with your sweeping statements about small equal bad, big equal good.

Oh yeah, I'm PLCAA certified and was formerly a Georgia certified and licensed applicator. So I'm not just defending the scrubs. The fact is, a small solo operator is often more motivated, efficient, and better trained and more experienced than the typical employee, and that helps them compete and come in at a lower price than a bloated big company.

Originally posted by heritage
Green Machine 102,
Professional lawn care companies often get $60-$100 per man hr. or more sometimes and it's not only because they have more overhead than part time grass cutters like yourself.
Professionals offer a MUCH HIGHER level of expertise which will mean much better service. Here is just one example:

Mrs jones hires a part timer to cut the grass and the part timer has no idea about turfgrass diseases or potential insects problems....or even the species of grass they are cutting most of the time.......Well it turns out that the lawn gets hit with an insect that is killing the lawn but the part timer thinks that its NORMAL for the lawn to be brown because it has gone dormant......it cools down and the rains come but the lawn is still brown yet the neighbors lawn is green and your client wants to know why. Do YOU KNOW????? The customer ends up spending more $$$$$ than they would have if they hired a professional, as the pro would have been watching for any potential problems on a weekly basis. Now they are doing a renovation of his/her dead lawn because they hired a part timer and guess what....They got what they paid for.

Professionals charge higher prices and they are worth every penny...and the smart clients know this AND they rarely if ever hire part timers that are not professionals because THEY CAN APPRECIATE THE VALUE OF PROFESSIONALISM.

Mabey now you will understand.

Hey by the way.....what does your heating and cooling charge for a service call???

Pete D.

bastalker
02-27-2004, 02:41 AM
$125 it takes me about an hour...

bastalker
02-27-2004, 02:43 AM
this is the front yard....

bastalker
02-27-2004, 02:46 AM
this is the back. I have a couple of others down the street. About the same size. Takes about the same amount of time. Both of the others are $125 also..

impactlandscaping
02-27-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by j fisher
I almost responded to your question, but decided against it.

Jeff Fisher Lawn Care
Insured,tax paying, full time company.

Me too....

Mow&Snow
02-27-2004, 03:29 AM
boy are u guys harsh....ouch

indmowing
02-27-2004, 04:39 AM
Oish some of you guys are such pricks. Harsh is not the word for it IMO. You remind me of the little bullies at my nephews school! You all get together and pick on the little kid.

The guy asked how you do it, 'cause he gets complaints about his lower prices. And it's so true, the guy is giving these customers low prices and they still say "oh that's expensive", "I can't afford that" etc. Mate you'll get that no matter what price you're charging. It's called human nature.

I am not as cowardly as some of the people on this forum, I don't need to belittle you to make myself feel better. I wish you all the best in the future, it seems to me like you are trying to build up your business, there is nothing wrong with starting from nothing and building something.

ha-ha, I just thought of something. There is a franchise here called Jim's Mowing. Some of you would have heard of it 'cause I believe there was a guy from New Zealand who was a franchisee on here. Anyways he wrote a book and he wrote in that book how he used to mow lawns for $5 or some nonsense. Now this I find a little far fetched, but either way, he now has more people working under him then any of your could ever dream of, and I can tell you now those franchisees are charging more then 95% of independent contractors 'cause they have to pay around $10,000 to $20,000 for the name of a man who used to mow lawns for next to nothing.

At least try to be descent will yas. Surely he is not a threat to you, so why not just back off a little, and at least be descent if you are going to reply (as some people have been in their replies here).

Ebony

Tonyr
02-27-2004, 05:28 AM
you go girl! LOL!

slplow
02-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Green machine, you need to go up on your price. I dont take my mower off the trailer for less than $28. Most of my lawns are $30. lawns and 2 people can knock out 3 an hr. The money you charge does not even cover the cost of maintainig your equipment.

gramps
02-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by troblandscape
Are you fully insured do you pay taxes? If so how are you making money with those prices? If I had a lawn that took me two hours, it would be at least a 150$ lawn.:confused: :p

sgreanbean
02-27-2004, 10:47 AM
if your only charging that much, well ive got some work for ya then!

GrassBlaster
02-27-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm a new guy, started mowing last fall. There are good points and bad points here.

I do have a low amount for mowing, but it's $25. It's not worth it to me to load my equipment and drive somewhere for less. On the other hand, I could never charge $125 for the yards shown above and actually get the work. It's more because of where I live. I think the cost of living is much higher in Conn than here, though. I'm only 30 minutes south of ECM LAwn Care, but the areas are quite different. ECM operates in the state capital of North Carolina, this area has the highest concentration of Ph.d.'s of any place in the country. I live in an area that is mostly manufacturing and textile.

Now, I would and could sub for ECM and still make a profit. Why? I'm a small one man outfit and all my equipment is paid for. I have no loans or finance charges to deal with. I AM insured, but NC does not require a business license to provide a service. I pay all my taxes, and claim everything except what my parents give me to cut their grass. By the way ECM, if you're reading this and interested, gimme a call...anything is southern Wake county would be great.

Quit complaining about your equipment costs. I bought the same equipment, maybe a different brand, but the same stuff. I can do it cheaper because I saved my money and paid for mine up front.

Why is it that a professional has to have employees?? That is ridiculous. As a consumer, I would rather have a one man operator who may have a helper, than hire somebody who's gonna send out a teenager or illegal just because that's the cheapest help he could find. I work alone, and I treat each customers lawn like it was my own...in fact, I treat it better. I neglect my own yard to make sure my customers are happy. I bust my a**. I work 40 hours a week at a full time job, and another 30+ on my own business. And I will assure you, I am a professional..it shows in everything from my attitude to my work. I would never be ashamed for someone to know who maintains my lawns, because thay are a testament to my work ethic.

Lastly, I too, will address the harsh issue. That is something that I have found exists all over this board. I don't know if all the seasoned professionals forget that they had to start out, too or what, but there is a lot of sarcasm, etc on this board. We new guys tend to get blasted A LOT. It's funny how all of the guys who have been here a while tell you how helpful it is, but then you get blasted. I guess the best thing to do is sit back and read, but never speak. We just have to hope that our questions somehow get answered, because we're tired of getting bashed when we ask.

CNYScapes
02-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Bastalker, Im jealous that you can get $125 for a lawn like that. In my area that lawn would be $60-$70. It just goes to show you how different the prices can be in different parts of the country. I get flyers every year, says ANY LAWN $15. I want to puke when I see it. My minimum is $20 and it has been for 5 years now.

P&C Lawn Care
02-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Yes $75 to $100 weekly would be tops for a house with no back fence and very little edging and weedeating in my area. Wouldn't have to get off the Z but once for this yard. Markets are different in different parts of the country (and world). I have a majority of residentials that I have to use a 21" mower on because they have a narrow gate to get through. I would love to have all my properties like that bastalker

PMLAWN
02-27-2004, 09:24 PM
People buy Mercedes-Benz, people buy Chevrolet, both do the same thing, Transportation. People will always pay for the value they peceive in the product. Produce your product at your price and find the customer who wants that vaule. I also feel that the cost of equipment is close to the same weather you pay up front (payed for) or over time. You still have to account for the cost in your price.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by CNYScapes
Bastalker, Im jealous that you can get $125 for a lawn like that. In my area that lawn would be $60-$70. It just goes to show you how different the prices can be in different parts of the country. I get flyers every year, says ANY LAWN $15. I want to puke when I see it. My minimum is $20 and it has been for 5 years now.

hehehehe your jealous I am in his state and I wouldnt get that price either depends on the town I got nicer homes too but the overall feeling is middle class so you get that rate of pay.

bayfish
02-27-2004, 09:50 PM
The area of Cambridge is not very affluent. A few factory jobs, some tourism, and watermen. When factories layoff, everyone starts pulling the family Dynamark around town. It's like that in most towns on the Eastern Shore. The most affluent neighborhood in Salisbury with 300K homes gets their yards cut for $25.00. But they call professionals for the other work. These are 23K plus yards. However the cost of living is lower than Connecticut which is basically a suburb of NYC. The larger LCO's here often sub-out the mowing because they can get it done so cheap. In Salisbury alone 5 factories closed or relocated in a matter of 2 years. With all that said, $10.00 is still too cheap. I have a $30.00 minimum.

TaylorLawn
02-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Id like to see a picture of the 10$ yard. I charged more than that 25 years ago push mowing lawns in the neighborhood.

Bayfish, You said you are happy with the money you are making, If you are happy with the money you are making, then why the post...........?

Largest for me is 325 per cut........3-4 hours.

Smallest..........35.00 about 15 minutes...........That is the mininum amount just to show up...........and I have had no problems with this ever.

I can not concieve the idea that a 10$ yard could possibly be profitable, unless you charge yourself to mow your own yard maybe, I dont know.

LawnMower
02-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Up here in Newport I don't think we can get the high prices you guys are talking about. Well you can if your a well established Land -Scaping Company with a big name. I know a lot of guys were doing the $20 minimum. The average half acre is about $35 to $40 a cut. If your picking up the grass, then double the money.

The average Harry Home owner will shop around. Theres about billion guys like myself up here. One or two guys with a couple of commercial mowers and a lot of drive. I guess you could call them scrubs.

Mow and blow and charge a lot less then the big name land scaping company. You'll do alright.

Despite all this massive competition, no one is stepping on each others feet. I still have to turn down a couple of yards a month. No wonder every one is starting a lawn mowing business Newport .

specialtylc
02-27-2004, 11:22 PM
I am packing my bags in the morning . I want some of that $150 per man hour. You guys are full of it.

gogetter
02-28-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine102
, unlike some people I am not trying to get over on people!

Hey Ebony, think this may be why people are upset with him?

That and the fact that he hasn't answered the questions asked of him about insurance and taxes.

1stclasslawns
02-28-2004, 10:26 AM
All this talk and nobody has given facts about "the cost of doing business" some mentioned overhead but nobody has shown how to figure it. I lost $45.000 to people who dont know how to do it.

Zero turn mower will last 2000 hours its initial investment is $9000 it cost you $4.50, it uses 11/2 gallon gas per hour, oil, filters change cost $25.00 every 50 hours, blades (I average 50 hours per set yes I sharpen them every6-9 hours) $30.00, expenses you had better allow the cost of the mower new over the live of the mower. This will allow you to replace and repair parts as needed. another $9000.00. So lets add it up.

$4.50 mower
$4.50 (might go to $3.00 per gallon this year)
$0.50 oil and filters
$0.75 blades
$4.50 repair and replace mower
$14.75 is what it cost you for your mower before you make a dime

Remember it is the hardest on a machine when you start it up so you must charge for a full hour every time you start it.

Then figure how much your truck cost to operate. If your not getting $1.00 for mile your loosing money. Put pencil to paper, and youll find out this is squeaking by. I drive 35 miles average per day.

Next figure out how much you want to make. $10.00 per hour ADD 40% for taxes. thats $14.00 per hour.

Heres the nitty gritty boys.
truck and trailer $ 35.00
your wages with taxes $ 112.00
equipment 14.75/ hour for 6 hours (2 hr travel time) $ 88.50
insurance $ 4.00
total $ 239.50

divide total by 8 hours per day gives you $29.93 per hour is your cost of doing business before adding in your PROFIT!!

REMEMBER we are all in this together! We all must make a profit to survive. And this dosent count the cost of licenses, or other professional expenses or supplies. AND you must get the same amount for running a weed eater. Would you run a weed eater all day and let the Z stay on the truck?

I have tried to give as close to exact answer as passable. I have been in business for 10 years and have NEVER lost money.

IF YOUR GOING TO LOOSE MONEY DON'T DO IT! Like I said I got under bid on some apartments by 40% I know my numbers I know what It COST ME. I talked to one of the guys who cut me and he dosn't know his numbers.

If you dont know your numbers you'll go broke.

Jim

coonman
02-28-2004, 11:54 AM
With only 20 accounts and some of them very small for $10. Why are you going to buy a 27hp Z??????

dkeisala
02-28-2004, 01:29 PM
The bulk of my business comes from year round clients that pay monthly, 12 months per year. When I first started out I was selling annual maintenance agreements for 65.00 per mo. or $780.00 for the year. With an average of 40 service calls (35 mowings) per year, that came out to $19.50 per week for full-service - mow, trim, blow, fert, lime, bed weed control. Now, that was all fine and dandy when I was a newbie, learning the ropes and not all legit. I started getting nervous about operating under-the-radar and really wanted to operate a "real" business so I assumed all the financial burdens that come with operating legitimately. It dind't take long before I realized I couldn't continue to operate at my current rate structure.

Now, I won't take on an annual client for less than $125/mo ($1,500/year) for full service weekly maintenance. I still include mowing, edging, blowing, debris removal/disposal, bed weed control, fert, lime, spot lawn weed control and light hand pruning for that price as long as we can keep each service call to 30 min or less, from the time we pull up until they time we leave. If it takes longer, we charge more. I have clients that pay 3 times my minimum. How much we actually make per hour varies from account to account however, I base our rates at $37.50 per man hour but I'm more concerned with profit than anything else which falls into to 30% range. So, for every $3 in revenue I make $1 in profit.

What I have found, and has been discussed in this thread, is people perceive value in different ways. I've chosen to be full-service rather than just mowing because chances are if my clients don't want to mow their own lawn they probably don't want to mess with chemicals or their plants and shrubs either. So what I offer them is one-stop shopping and insurance that their landscape will look as good as it possibly can throughout the year. I don't nickel and dime my clients and don't add extra charges onto their bill unless something that wasn't built into the original bid comes up, such as pruning a large hedge, plant replacement, etc. This way my clients know exactly what they are paying, they can budget accordingly and there are no surprises when they open their bill.

I don't know exactly what my competition charges but I'm sure I'm in the middle of the pack and that is exactly where I want to be. I want to ride that fine line between what my clients perceive as value and what I realize as profit.

The Wal-Mart empire wasn't built by gouging their customers but by offering their customers value and making a reasonable profit off of them. The same goes for Costco, they keep their mark-up to 14% which means they need to pay all their bills and realize a profit off of that 14% and they seem to be doing just fine.

Pricing is a touchy issue. I'm not all that concerned with what everyone else is doing. If someone can get away with 60 bucks per man hour for mowing I think that's great. But those numbers don't work for me or my clients. I've got plenty of work and run a very profitable operation leaving my numbers right where they are at.

cush
02-28-2004, 02:50 PM
If I still lived with my Mommy and Daddy I could charge half what I do now! No mortgage no food bills free medical, wow wouldn't that be great.

dkeisala
02-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by cush
If I still lived with my Mommy and Daddy I could charge half what I do now! No mortgage no food bills free medical, wow wouldn't that be great. Look, the computer was invented in a garage and Xerox basically gave the Windows operating system to a college drop out. Everyone has to start somewhere. Rarely do people start out doing anything charging/receiving premium prices regardless of whether they should or not.

specialtylc
02-28-2004, 06:58 PM
DKEISALA......... Finally someone with an honest reply to this thread.You sound like the real world Lawn care business . I dont believe there are any Companies out there from True Green on down that charge any more than you or I. $37.50 is more real average in this business.

Chris Wagner
02-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Also remember that the amount you are making per hour is NOT really a good indicator of what you are making.

Each business is going to have different amounts of overhead... depending on their methods of doing business (marketing, insurance, upkeep, new purchases, office supplies, etc.).

While it's not really nice to ask what others really make, the whole "hourly" argument isn't really that sound.

Mdirrigation
02-28-2004, 08:52 PM
The original post stated that people in Maryland wont pay 25 dollar minimum. This is a perfect example of how locations can differ in pricing within a 2 hour drive. I am in annapolis and 25 dollars was the minimum 15 years ago. I could never make my rates in cambridge md , I could double my rates in Potomac md, and would make close to the same within 45 minutes from annapolis. But the cost of real estate follows the same path my house would be more than double in potomac md and I would live in a McMansion in Cambridge Md. if I sold my home today.
When somebody states prices look over at their location . Prices for lawncare change per locale. There are websites that give cost of living comparisons out there , Basically If I were making 50K a year in Annapolis Md , I would need to make 95K a year in Los Angles California to have the same standard of living.