PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having trouble with their Redmax line trimmers?

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Just looking to see if anyone else has been experiencing problems with their Redmax line trimmers? I just bought one this winter to use this spring, but after talking to some friends who have a lawn company said they have had nothing but problems with them. They said they have put about 600 to 700 dollars back into them to get them fixed last year. Kinda disappointing to blow $550 on a Redmax line trimmer to find out it may be a piece.

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 09:35 PM
$550 for a weedeater? I hope you used K.Y

Mowingman
02-26-2004, 09:40 PM
That sound like a tall tale to me. RedMax has a two year warranty, so they should not have to spend a dime unless they have pretty old ones. Even then, why would you spend that much on a trimmer when you can buy a new one for less than $300.00.:confused:

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-26-2004, 09:40 PM
sorry, $450, $550 what i spent on a back pack blower. The price is beside the point. Either way just looking to see if anyone has had problems with them.

Jackman
02-26-2004, 09:44 PM
I first must say that Redmax equipment has been very good to me except one trimmer. I bought a Strato charged trimme rthat gave me grief right from the start it would run then lose spark then it would run again with out reason. Dealer warrteed a mag it did not help I was pissed it ran bad ,dealer was no help at all finally I called dealer and said that I was going to e-mail the Red max co. and tell them if they did not do something for me that I would not be buying any more of there stuff well the dealer decided to sell me a new on at cost. The new trimmer is also Strato charged and is awsome the other one however is just sitting to be used for parts when needed.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-26-2004, 09:44 PM
yes, but a commercial warranty is 1 year not two, but they had said if they had to pay the costs for the repairs, it was close to 600 to 700 dollars.

The trimmer that I bought is new. The lawn crew I talked to said they have had problems with Redmax line trimmers they have.

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 09:49 PM
I been using husqvarna weedeaters now for 3 years and have never had any problem. Stihl and Echo make good weedeaters too.........How does a weedeater go bad? Not much going on with a weedeater..........I think it all depends on the operator

HazellLawnCare
02-26-2004, 09:59 PM
We use nothing but Redmax 2cycle equipment and have been nothing but impressed with their level of quality and dependability. In my eyes money spent on a Redmax is money well spent.

Mowingman
02-26-2004, 09:59 PM
The commercial warranty is 2 years.:D

cklands
02-26-2004, 10:00 PM
I would actually get an electrical shock from my strato charged trimmer. I happens if you have the loop where the strap goes in your hand and you reach up with your thumb to shut it off. Dealer tried to fix but couldn't get the problem to happen. Naturally as soon as I pick it up...first lawn ZAP.

Stripe master
02-26-2004, 10:15 PM
I love my redmax equipment! Great warranty and great product. I also know they do have a 2 year commercial warranty so I dont see having any problems. And the new strato engines rip!

specialtylc
02-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Only have redmax blower,always hard to start.Im sticking with stihl. And there are a lot of things that can go wrong with a string trimmer.carb,clutch,shaft,bearings.fuel tank,trigger,cables,etc. I wont spend more than a hundred dollars to fix anything that cost less than 300 new. I buy a new one and keep old one for parts.Unless it was a piece of crap to begin with , then i would junk it and buy a differnt brand.

General Grounds
02-26-2004, 10:48 PM
:blob3: specialty, what is your starting procedure for the blower, i own 12 redmax blowers and every one starts within 2 pulls, all toll i own over 30 pieces of redmax equipt. and they all start within 2 pulls. tony

ZaK18
02-26-2004, 11:00 PM
I have owned my redmax (Blower,edger,trimmer) for 3yr's now and never had any problems. They are in my opinion the highest quality out there.

justmjc
02-26-2004, 11:01 PM
4 years, run perfect. No reason to try out another brand.

Where about's are you at MJL? I'm familiar with the Shelby area. Lots of potential and $ there.

ALLFERRIS
02-26-2004, 11:12 PM
I own a redmax blower and edger, and they are very difficult to start SOMETIMES, I dont know why. Ive had them checked out and they are fine. Its frustrating because when they start right up they run better than anything out there. Anybody have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

General Grounds
02-26-2004, 11:19 PM
:blob3: koehn, try this when cold, choke, primer bulb 3-4 x's 1/2 throttle pull. the engine may start and quickly shut off. if this happens put the choke in its normal position no primer and pull should fire right up. if hot just pull and should fire, more than 3 pulls you may be doing something wrong. tony

ALLFERRIS
02-26-2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks Tony, should be firing them up soon and i'll try it out.

Olylawnboy
02-27-2004, 12:35 AM
So MJL, What's the problem? how can we help? I just went with RedMax last year and have had no problems at all, well string trimmers anyway. Still useing Echo and JD blowers for now. Could you explain? oly

JKOOPERS
02-27-2004, 12:45 AM
man all of guys are paying some high prices for these trimmers i get mine for $202 . i have never had a problem with mine they akways start up on the first or second pull. one thing i have noticed is the muffler like to get clogged with carbon. if yours wont start its probally bad gas or the spark plug needs to be changed. i rebuild mine every 2 years for $15 and they still run like new.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-27-2004, 01:10 AM
Olylawnboy, I havent even started my new trimmer, because I bought it in the winter and didnt want to put gas in until I am ready to use it everyday, but all I have heard from my friend's lawn crew is that their Redmaxs have been nothing but problems. They said the whole ignition system had to be replaced on each one of them twice, the shafts have had to be replaced, and so on. I know they are a little rough on their equipment, but to have to have that much work done within the second year of using them doesnt look too promising for long-term life.

Yes, for everyone who is saying that we are spending too much on trimmers, we are not talking about the lower end of Redmax's trimmers. I just purchased the Redmax BC3401 Pro series line trimmer. It is one of their biggest/most powerful trimmer's(33.6cc) Redmax makes. I could have went with a smaller one, but i dont care about carrying a few extra pounds around, if anything it gives you a little more of a work out. Plus with the extra power, I will be able to cut through thicker brush quicker. Another reason is if it can generate the same power as one of the smaller engines without being reved as high, it should mechanically last longer, because it doesnt have to be working as hard every time you use it.

JKOOPERS
02-27-2004, 01:13 AM
that doesnt make sense mjl All weedeaters and blowers are supposed to be ran at full throttle . when you run them at half or whatever it clogs up the exhuast

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-27-2004, 01:23 AM
JKOOPERS, it sounds like you are running too rich, and thats why you are getting the black carbon build up in the muffler. Ive never heard of operating a trimmer at anything less then full throttle causing carbon build up problems. The only thing i can think of is that when you run at full throttle the the exhaust will be hotter, helping to burn off the carbon.

JKOOPERS
02-27-2004, 01:26 AM
well with the redmax thats what happened to company that i worked for last year . they have 8 mowing crews all redmax , and the dealer and the mechanic told us thats what happens. we ran 50:1. the other thing plays a big factor on carbon build up is how much line you trim with.

dkeisala
02-27-2004, 02:38 AM
I just saw a Stihl chainsaw today that had a start assist coupled with a decompression release. Hit the decompression release then without effort, pull the starter rope completely out. Nothing happened for a couple seconds then BAM the saw starts. Pulling the starter rope doesn't start the engine but winds some kind of spring loaded start assist mechanism. It was totally cool. It would be great to see this integrated into other 2-cycle equipment.

dishboy
02-27-2004, 09:14 AM
On the exhaust coking issue. I have not had to scrape a exhaust port since going to Amsoil series 2000 2-cycle racing oil I buy at the motorcycle shop. I mix at 50 to 1 with chevron supreme. My cylinder still looks like new in my Shindiawa blower that I started out on Amsoil. [two years].

I would be interested in a comparison if any of you guys who run Redmax have run Shindiawa's T-270 and RM's big trimmer. I am really happy with the Shin's but the fact that my dealer won't stock wear parts, {throttle cables, clutches or carb kits] is really moving towards another brand.